141: Forrest (FR)
149: Bassett (FR)
157: ?
165: Lockett (SO)
174: ?
184: Thompson (JR)
197: Carroll (JR)
285: Merrill (SO)

Man, what a turn or events. Sooooo much to consider now. Let’s hope we retain our talent. What happens to Scott? And what psu talent is considering transferring?

Reactions: TheJimReaper
Kasak will likely be behind Van Ness this year….will be interesting next year. Bummer the timing on this wasn’t a week ago to see who would’ve followed immediately.
NO ONE would have left. Carl is still Carl. and all of those guys have the confidence you'd think to be that good. It's going to take some people actually riding the pine before they hit the portal.

But you guys can look forward to having a huge jump from all your guys next year. If blair is correct and this group of kids loves wrestling AND living a clean life - none of them will transfer.

NO ONE would have left. Carl is still Carl. and all of those guys have the confidence you'd think to be that good. It's going to take some people actually riding the pine before they hit the portal.

But you guys can look forward to having a huge jump from all your guys next year. If blair is correct and this group of kids loves wrestling AND living a clean life - none of them will transfer.
Agree it’s doubtful but there’s always a chance if the portal was open. Just saying would’ve been interesting to see is all.

Reactions: vhsalum
So now that Alirez is back at UNC I’d guess this is the lineup for next year?

125: Troy Spratley

133: Cael Hughes

141: Tagen Jamison

149: Jordan Williams

157: Teague Travis

165: Caleb Fish

174: Dean Hamiti

184: Dustin Plott

197: Christian Carroll

HWT: Wyatt Hendrickson.

Possible alternative is
141: Carter Young
149: Tagen Jamison
157: Jordan Williams

125: Troy Spratley - 3-5 AA - 12 points

133: Cael Hughes - AA - 8 points

141: Tagen Jamison - AA - 6 points

149: Jordan Williams - AA - 10 points

157: Teague Travis - AA - 6 points

165: Caleb Fish - AA - 8 points

174: Dean Hamiti - AA - 12 points

184: Dustin Plott - AA - 20 points

197: Christian Carroll AA - 10 points

HWT: Wyatt Hendrickson. - AA - 20 points
Nice work man! I like to see other predicting 10 AAs and around 115 points.

Hughes at 133, CC at 197 are heavy cuts. Hopefully they can do well the whole season with weight cuts not affecting their function.
Didn’t seem to bother Hughes too much at the team trials. Tho tbf that’s like one weekend compared to the whole season.

I also saw that Wyatt Hendrickson said that Carroll will be a beast at 197. I’m sure they’ll be fine.

Not to derail the thread…

Since we are throwing out scenarios…this is just a scenario…

Perhaps one way to maximize the talent:

141: Hughes
149: Jamison/Young
157: Williams

You’ve got a handful of guys that could fill 133 if Hughes didn’t make the cut: Blankenship, McComas, Witcraft.

That being said, it’s hard to believe that that would be optimal over:

133: Hughes
141: Jamison
149: Williams/Young
157: Travis/Williams

Hughes at 133, CC at 197 are heavy cuts. Hopefully they can do well the whole season with weight cuts not affecting their function.
We should have Sakamoto wrestle in 3 dual matches at 133 besides wrestling at Las Vegas and at the Southern Scuffle. With Carroll we should have Surber or Robb wrestle 3 dual matches also so that Hughes and Carroll get some rest and don't need to make weight some weeks.

Not to derail the thread…

Since we are throwing out scenarios…this is just a scenario…

Perhaps one way to maximize the talent:

141: Hughes
149: Jamison/Young
157: Williams

You’ve got a handful of guys that could fill 133 if Hughes didn’t make the cut: Blankenship, McComas, Witcraft.

That being said, it’s hard to believe that that would be optimal over:

133: Hughes
141: Jamison
149: Williams/Young
157: Travis/Williams
McComas looks pretty big at 133 IMO. Think our log jam now is 141-157. Especially if DT wants people closer to the walking around weight.

Reactions: JAY45
McComas looks pretty big at 133 IMO. Think our log jam now is 141-157. Especially if DT wants people closer to the walking around weight.
I wonder if that is why PSU doesn't always have hammers at 25, 33 and 41 as compared to 65 and up?

It has to be super hard to have guys that naturally walk around close to those weights?

How many points is that?

I have you guys around 90-95 and vying for 2nd. The key will be the lightweights. Can Gilman lift them to another level? Are they coachable? I don’t know your team. Where are the weak spots?
The lightweights are incredibly talented. Skys the limit for them imo. My only concern is with Jordan Williams. He needs to get stronger but as others have said he doesn’t like lifting very much. Hopefully the coaches can get him motivated to do it.

I have you guys around 90-95 and vying for 2nd. The key will be the lightweights. Can Gilman lift them to another level? Are they coachable? I don’t know your team. Where are the weak spots?
Talented but young. I like Spratley as he wrestles hard with decent technique but needs strength. He took Ayala to OT in both matches but wasn’t strong enough to finish good takedown attempts. 133-??? 141-I’m guessing Hughes, RSfreshman who is really talented but young. 4 time state champ in Oklahoma. 149-Jameson is sophomore who is extremely strong with good technique. 157-probably Travis who started last year or Williams who could be all-world if he decides to be the wrestler that he could become.

There’s no “weak” spots really Same reason we were a great dual team last year. However, didn’t get enough guys past the blood round either. That’s gonna be what I’m hoping to see. That little level up across the board because last year was far from a bad season. Easily should have 10 qualifiers.

I think Troy is gonna make a level jump with Gilman. I’m really hopeful he can AA. He has wins over a couple returning AAs and his only bad loss was still a top 20 opponent where he got stuck. The bad thing for him at this weight is not a lot of graduates after last year.

I’m excited for Hughes if he goes 133. But who knows. He has the talent as we saw at u20s but let’s just wait and see. Floor is qualifying. Ceiling is AA.

I’m not sure Jamison stays at 141, but I also don’t thing Young looks the weight either in the latest Twitter pic. Both guys are blood round to me but again if they can level up then expecting AA

Side note. If Rin is ready to go at 133, we could see Hughes at 141 IMO. McComas maybe but long term I see him 141-149

149 I think has to be JW. I don’t think the cut was absurd and I don’t think he has the strength for 157. Contenders are young and Jamison. If it’s JW and things click he can AA but until things do click I wouldn’t pencil it in.

157. Honestly could see Jamison, Young, Williams, or Teague and similar to 149 I wouldn’t pencil in an AA here but would hope for it.

165 Fish I think appears to be Blood round level.

174 Hamiti should AA but going up a weight isn’t always a given. With the talent in the room he has a great opportunity. I would tentatively pencil AA here

184 Plott v Keck finals most likely. I guess depending on what CStar does that would maybe mix it up.

197 I am big on Carroll. I think 197 is perfect for him. Seen much bigger guys drop down but no one with his speed. I think he could AA but since he is a true freshman I won’t pencil it in here either.

Heavyweight Wyatt placed third last year. I think with the room upgrade he can make the finals. Bastida the only guy I think besides kerk that could derail that.

Summary (my personal guess while tempering expectations)
125 - AA
133 - Blood round
141 - Blood round
149 - AA
157 - Blood round
165 - Blood Round/AA
175 - AA
184 - Finals
197 - Blood round/AA
285 - Finals

Talented but young. I like Spratley as he wrestles hard with decent technique but needs strength. He took Ayala to OT in both matches but wasn’t strong enough to finish good takedown attempts. 133-??? 141-I’m guessing Hughes, RSfreshman who is really talented but young. 4 time state champ in Oklahoma. 149-Jameson is sophomore who is extremely strong with good technique. 157-probably Travis who started last year or Williams who could be all-world if he decides to be the wrestler that he could become.
In your opinion, was it a strength issue or a cutting issue? Did/do you guys have a good S&C coach? WDoes the S&C coach understand recovery in a wrestling environment? Did/do you guys have a good nutritionist. I'm not going to say I'm an expert in any of this but everything I read, the S&C coach and nutritionist are vital to the team. I'm sure Coach Taylor is looking at this.

There’s no “weak” spots really Same reason we were a great dual team last year. However, didn’t get enough guys past the blood round either. That’s gonna be what I’m hoping to see. That little level up across the board because last year was far from a bad season. Easily should have 10 qualifiers.

I think Troy is gonna make a level jump with Gilman. I’m really hopeful he can AA. He has wins over a couple returning AAs and his only bad loss was still a top 20 opponent where he got stuck. The bad thing for him at this weight is not a lot of graduates after last year.

I’m excited for Hughes if he goes 133. But who knows. He has the talent as we saw at u20s but let’s just wait and see. Floor is qualifying. Ceiling is AA.

I’m not sure Jamison stays at 141, but I also don’t thing Young looks the weight either in the latest Twitter pic. Both guys are blood round to me but again if they can level up then expecting AA

Side note. If Rin is ready to go at 133, we could see Hughes at 141 IMO. McComas maybe but long term I see him 141-149

149 I think has to be JW. I don’t think the cut was absurd and I don’t think he has the strength for 157. Contenders are young and Jamison. If it’s JW and things click he can AA but until things do click I wouldn’t pencil it in.

157. Honestly could see Jamison, Young, Williams, or Teague and similar to 149 I wouldn’t pencil in an AA here but would hope for it.

174 Hamiti should AA but going up a weight isn’t always a given. With the talent in the room he has a great opportunity. I would tentatively pencil AA here

184 Plott v Keck finals most likely. I guess depending on what CStar does that would maybe mix it up.

197 I am big on Carroll. I think 197 is perfect for him. Seen much bigger guys drop down but no one with his speed. I think he could AA but since he is a true freshman I won’t pencil it in here either.

Heavyweight Wyatt placed third last year. I think with the room upgrade he can make the finals. Bastida the only guy I think besides kerk that could derail that.

125 - AA
133 - Blood round
141 - Blood round
149 - AA
157 - Blood round
165 - Blood Round/AA
175 - AA
184 - Finals
197 - Blood round/AA
285 - Finals
I thought you said you weren't going to do it lol. :p

• Haha
Reactions: Chasingthirty-five
In your opinion, was it a strength issue or a cutting issue? Did/do you guys have a good S&C coach? WDoes the S&C coach understand recovery in a wrestling environment? Did/do you guys have a good nutritionist. I'm not going to say I'm an expert in any of this but everything I read, the S&C coach and nutritionist are vital to the team. I'm sure Coach Taylor is looking at this.
I don’t think there were major issues last year. We were young at 125, 141, 149, 157, 174. Doucet ceiling was what it was at HWT. I think Scott def came in and made some positive changes tho. I’ll be interested to see if guys like JW and BT can buy in fully or not.

125 - AA
133 - Blood round
141 - Blood round
149 - AA
157 - Blood round
165 - Blood Round/AA
175 - AA
184 - Finals
197 - Blood round/AA
285 - Finals
That's pretty unbiased. Thank you.

I love Carroll, but I remember true freshman Zain Retherford at 141. Beat Logan in regular season but it's hard to deny veteran experience. I think he is a definite AA but not top 4 for that reason. 197 is tougher to AA as a frosh than 141 imo.

Agree with heavy. Wyatt is top 3. Don't think he wins but will place 2nd or 3rd based on bracket. Never know wIth DT as coach.

184: Plott is really good. He is definitely top 4, if not top 2. Carter is likely 197 so not concerned here.

174: I can see Hamiti AA'ing here but he has to jump a level next year. He only scored 5 points at nationals last year, going 2-2. Low AA is my call.

165: I agree. Fish is a blood round guy. 2-3 points.

I don't know enough about the rest of the lineup to give an opinion. That said, I can see 165-heavy providing around 50-55 points.

Unfortunately, I don't see you getting to 100 next year. I can see 80-90 though and a fight for 2nd/3rd.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: lincolnhs
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT