ADVERTISEMENT

NEXT HC

The beginning of each dynasty followed an Olympic Gold.

Gable - 3-4 years after a Gold
Smith - 1 year after a Gold (of 2)
Sanderson - 3- years after a Gold

I think notoriety has alot to do with it. These guys were celebrities in the sport and had their pick of recruits. Cael has obviously done very well with the help of the gray area and now what is legal (money.)

I don't think there is any question that DT figures out the roles of a HC quickly. If Scott were to stick around with him...yeah, we are back to being a juggernaut.

If DT is named, you know who else will be in the room training. Those two guys, with Scotts experience would yield impressive results.

Yeah but all three of those guys were simultaneously assistant coaches while they were training and after they won gold medals.

John Smith himself talked about how hard it was from him to go from competitor to coach and how the circumstances thrust him into it, but he thought that there should be some time to learn how things work.

The world is also way different today than it was when Cael got Iowa State to nudge out Bobby Douglas.

Why can’t we build the same system? Assistants playing there roles MONEY great recruiting and being a big player in portal.
I really do not think people know (myself included) how much money PSU is throwing into their wrestling program. I bet it is way more than most of us realize.

Also do not underestimate how much of a natural advantage PSU has over everyone. They are the premier university in the premier state (PA) that is flanked by 2 other top states (OH & NJ). At that point you just need to sprinkle in a few people from outside that area. Oklahoma has Oklahoma then they need to recruit nationally.

I also feel that Coleman's results at North Carolina have been diminished beyond reason.

That program was absolutely horrible when he took over. They had nothing going for them except for a donor that wanted to help build the program back up. Coleman came in, and methodically built a program that was consistently in the top 20 at NCAAs. He recruited talent from all over the country and developed it really well... and when he got blue chip guys he made them national champs and high AAs. Heck he and GWH helped a graduate transfer that had never made the podium get to the NCAA finals! If you look at their results from this season, they dropped back down to 30th without him there and they didn't lose a bunch of talent from the team that finished 12th in Tulsa.

Did he ever get over the NC State or Virginia Tech hump in the ACC? No. He didn't. But both of those programs have been building for nearly 20 years. UNC was so far behind and he made them competitive.
Thanks for the context on all that Lee. I’ll admit that I was never super impressed by Coleman’s stint at UNC and was a little weary of him because of that. But your comment gives me a lot more confidence in him.

Well there is that lol. Coleman did a lot with a team that had 5 first time starters on it. I think a lot of John and this will sound bad but we could very well have done better if John had let Coleman 100% do his thing. I don't blame Coach Smith for that, technically it was still his team. Coleman has us headed in the right direction 100% and the wrestlers love him!

As far as Taylor I'll be blunt, anyone who doesn't think he'd be a fantastic coach as well needs his head examined. He has the talent, the knowledge, the connections, the skills and definitely the ability to teach wrestling to college athletes.

So take your pick, either way the Pokes will be in good shape. Don't ask me who it will be, I honestly don't know at this point. I've never been messaged by so many people in my life w/ supposed solid info that hasn't panned out or asked so many questions I simply can't answer. Either the powers at be still don't know or they're keeping this all tighter than a frogs ass. Fartz out! ✌️
Yeah, I would say the high risks would be our current wrestlers, coaching staff and alumni. It would traumatize cowboy nation for sure. Now, we would come out at least as good in a couple of years and maybe better. Is the risk worth the gains? That’s the real question. If you think Coleman has a pretty good thumb on the pulse of the program, you would say no. If you feel that DT’s upside in 2-10 yrs is better, you would say yes. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I really don't understand how you can say this with confidence.

David Taylor has been a phenomenal wrestler, no doubt. And he has been in an environment that breeds a ton of success on the mat. Whatever he has absorbed in his time around Penn State is almost certainly valuable.

However, we have no idea if he is able to manage the day-to-day of running a college wrestling program. We don't really know what his true involvement in his club is. He's hired a staff of people to run that for him at every level. His name is on it, ok, but is he getting in there and rolling with the kids every day? Or does he show up, show a technique, give a speech, and then go back to the farm? Can he fundraise? Will he bring people with him that know how to do this stuff?

I think there are a mountain of questions around David Taylor's ability to be a head coach in today's college wrestling environment... and I think that the floor is way lower than Coleman's while the ceiling isn't really that much higher. Could he be great? Sure! But there are absolutely risks.
Isn't that kind of what the interview process is designed to do? Kind of flesh out some of those concerns?

Granted it's been 25 years since I was on a coaching search committee but they are a little bit more detailed than, "Hey you want to be our coach?" Can almost guarantee if they interview someone to be the HC then that person is going to lay out not only his vision but how they expect to accomplish it. I see no problem with us doing this and anyone who loves the program shouldn't either. If DT or anyone walked into the meeting and simply thought they should be the HC because of their name I promise you they wouldn't even be considered.

As far as CS' time at UNC, I think people are giving it just the right amount of glow. It wasn't horrible but it also wasn't something that screams deserving of a Top tier program. Now I will say things seemed to be trending in the right direction as his last 3 years were the three highest finishes for them in 20 years at Nationals (16th, 16th, 12th). His best team might have been the Covid year team, so assuming he would have done as well has he did in the prior and post covid year then you could say he had 6 straight years of Top 20 success at Nationals. I think another feather in his cap, whether he started it directly or how much involvement he had with setting it up, the UNC Wrestling Club started around the time he was hired at UNC.

There are certainly concerns with DT but I have no doubt the interview process will be thorough, whoever gets the job will get my 100% unbridled support. Hope everyone else will do the same thing.

It’s really simple. You hire the absolutely best guy you can. Doesn’t matter if he wrestles here or grew up here or whatever. Doesn’t matter if you lose a portion or most of your roster. It doesn’t matter if you’re afraid that guy might leave one day. You hire the best guy period. Now who that is may be the debate. But blue bloods in all sports should be above or past hiring guys because they are alumni.

To be absolutely clear, I don't dislike the idea of hiring Taylor because he isn't an alum... I'm just not sold on not even being a volunteer assistant being an issue. If he had any admin experience, I would shut up.
That just isn’t the story from everyone familiar with the PSU organization and RTC situation. There is a reason that they all whole heartedly believe he’d kill it in Stillwater.

The one possibility for Chad to do this, is for CS to be declared the top candidate after an extensive search. And for it to be a legit selection. Nothing worse than people to believe you were given the job for anything other than you are the best candidate for the job. You should not get the position because you are a former wrestler or grad.

I know someone who got a CEO job and they were going to give him the job without looking at any other candidates. He said he would not take the job unless it was a legit search with competition. It was a heavily politcal position and he did not want that political baggage. So they hired a search firm and interviewed a final 3 and he earned it.

• Haha
Reactions: lincolnhs
I really don't understand how you can say this with confidence.

David Taylor has been a phenomenal wrestler, no doubt. And he has been in an environment that breeds a ton of success on the mat. Whatever he has absorbed in his time around Penn State is almost certainly valuable.

However, we have no idea if he is able to manage the day-to-day of running a college wrestling program. We don't really know what his true involvement in his club is. He's hired a staff of people to run that for him at every level. His name is on it, ok, but is he getting in there and rolling with the kids every day? Or does he show up, show a technique, give a speech, and then go back to the farm? Can he fundraise? Will he bring people with him that know how to do this stuff?

I think there are a mountain of questions around David Taylor's ability to be a head coach in today's college wrestling environment... and I think that the floor is way lower than Coleman's while the ceiling isn't really that much higher. Could he be great? Sure! But there are absolutely risks.
You mitigate risks by thoroughly interviewing the guy and getting a feel for whether those are truly concerns that would harm the program or things he's thought through and assuaged them completely. Weiberg isn't hiring the guy from his press clippings and Twitter account.

If we've made an offer it's because Taylor has been well vetted.

Is there any chance DT comes on as an assistant with a Coleman. Not sure why DT is head coach or bust.

Watch it just be someone completely different. Haha

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT