ADVERTISEMENT

Need help shopping for a UAV

rivercowboy

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
Any enthusiasts here?

I'm new to actually shopping for one instead of watching videos on YouTube.

This is work related, and this is what I'm looking for:

Some kind of quad-copter that is in the $500-$700 range that has either a camera already attached or I can attach a GoPro 3+ to it. Also an actual controller style control set that either has FPV screen or an attachment for a smart phone. I have an iPhone 6.

I found this and was wondering if there's anything else out there either.

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product....6995&catargetid=230005120000543778&cadevice=c

Any other info is greatly appreciated.

I an no enthusiasts, but I have gotten to demo the DJI Phantom 2 and Inspire models. They were really nice and the controller on the Inspire was identical (I think) to the Phantom 3 Pro model. Super easy to learn how to fly, however, the Phantom 2 didn't have error correction like the Inspire has and the Phantom 3, although I am not sure if both models of the Phantom 3 has that corrective feature. But, that feature really only matters when navigating indoors or in tighter spaces.

Again, I only demo'd them and have only done minimal research on them as this isn't much my type of hobby, but they were both extremely cool.

I an no enthusiasts, but I have gotten to demo the DJI Phantom 2 and Inspire models. They were really nice and the controller on the Inspire was identical (I think) to the Phantom 3 Pro model. Super easy to learn how to fly, however, the Phantom 2 didn't have error correction like the Inspire has and the Phantom 3, although I am not sure if both models of the Phantom 3 has that corrective feature. But, that feature really only matters when navigating indoors or in tighter spaces.

Again, I only demo'd them and have only done minimal research on them as this isn't much my type of hobby, but they were both extremely cool.

Thanks Evil. I think we might be going with the Phantom 2.

The cameras on the Phantom 3 Pro and Advanced have a narrower field of view than the camera on 2. Something like 94 degrees vs. 120 or so. Photoshop corrects that fisheye effect with a keystroke, but at the expense of loosing some detail. No corrections necessary on the 3.

The 3 Pro shoots 4K video plus about three lesser settings, the 3 Advanced shoots 1080p max, I believe. Go to DJI.com Also, I almost forgot, both 3 cameras will shoot in Raw. Previous cameras would not. I've been looking at the Phantoms and a few other brands pretty closely.

I think the DJI equipment wins any comparison, but everyone says customer support is lousy. No repair facilities in the US apparently. Owners are left to learn just about everything on youtube. Even with all that, the DJI offers more features, range, usability etc.

If I had any ambition toward professional filming, I'd be all over the Inspire.

The Phantom 3 has not shipped yet and there are supposedly tens of thousands of pre-orders world-wide. Notice though, that the 3 actually has fewer automatic flying features than the 2, like way-station, which I think is very important for one-person operation. Things like that are supposed to be added by vendors who will write programs and sell them to owners later. Another thing to make you scratch your head about DJI's business model.

There is a very high probability that I will be purchasing the DJI inspire despite the customer service issues. I will likely by from dslrpros.com and order it with the additional camera and second transmitter as I plan on using it for aerial photography reasons. But it's hard to argue with the new bird by 3D Robotics, think it's the Solo, but I also like their Iris+ and X8+. Let us know what you buy.

We ended up with the DJI Phantom 2 Vision+. It should arrive next week. Should be pretty good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT