ADVERTISEMENT

My son is looking for a good acoustic guitar..

osuja

2nd Team
Gold Member
Nov 7, 2001
Martin, Taylor, etc, anybody with an interest to sell one, please let me know.

No one is going part with a Martin that isn't trash. If you want a Taylor you may find a used one at a good guitar shop/dealer. But you can probably buy new close to a nice used one.

Is he an expert player? If not he doesn't need a high end acoustic guitar. He can get a beautiful sounding new instrument for as low as $400, I'd spend no more $800 for anyone who is not a professional. Go to a good guitar shop and play a good Washburn, Yamaha, Fender. There are others. If he has to buy the name then buy a lower priced Gibson or Taylor, they'll sound great. But you'll pay extra for the name.

Reactions: OSUIvan
He has a Martin already. He wants to get a backup guitar. He is starting to play some in Stillwater.

Hey Headhunter,

I passed along your info and my son went to Daddios music in Stillwater and played all the guitars. He settled on a very nice Alvarez which he said sounded and played great, different but as easy to play as his Martin. Thanks for the tip, you saved me some lettuce on this deal. Very much appreciated.

Hey Headhunter,

I passed along your info and my son went to Daddios music in Stillwater and played all the guitars. He settled on a very nice Alvarez which he said sounded and played great, different but as easy to play as his Martin. Thanks for the tip, you saved me some lettuce on this deal. Very much appreciated.
Great choice. I bought my wife who was trying to learn an Alvarez because it had a wonderful sound and was far easier to play than my own.

I refuse to admit that it might also sound better than mine.

Hey Headhunter,

Glad he found one. Alvarez is a quality instrument.

I started with an Alvarez, then takamine. Then I got a Taylor 514ce and I’ve never gone back. Beautiful guitars.

Reactions: MegaPoke
Hey Headhunter,

Funny you say that --- I test drove a bunch of guitars recently, didn't really bother to look at the tags, and I thought the best for the money was an alvarez.

I thought the high end Martins sounded kind of tinny.

Funny you say that --- I test drove a bunch of guitars recently, didn't really bother to look at the tags, and I thought the best for the money was an alvarez.

I thought the high end Martins sounded kind of tinny.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Syskatine
It's wonderful to hear that your son is on the hunt for a good acoustic guitar. Considering brands like Martin and Taylor is a great start. They're known for their quality and craftsmanship, which can make a big difference in the playing experience. Exploring the world of instruments is an exciting journey, and finding the right guitar can truly enhance that musical adventure.

If you're looking for a diverse range of music instruments, including guitars, this website is a fantastic place to check out. They offer a variety of options that could be perfect for your son's musical aspirations.

Last edited:
Martin and Taylors are great! I've had my Alvarez Yairi 40 years and still love it. Another guitar I own and is less expensive but sounds great is the Larravee. Mine has the pickup and controls built in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT