ADVERTISEMENT

Murray hall renamed to al sharpton building west

Regents to vote on Murray Hall name removal Friday
OSU President Burns Hargis has formally requested that the OSU/A&M Board of Regents include on its June 19 meeting agenda a vote to remove the name “Murray” from Murray Hall and North Murray Hall on OSU’s campus. OSU A&M Board of Regents Chair Tucker Link expressed support for the move and confirmed it has been placed on Friday’s agenda.

The building’s namesake — Oklahoma’s ninth governor, William H. “Alfalfa Bill” Murray — had a record of advocacy for racist policies including segregation and the promotion of Jim Crow laws. Read the full statements.

Regents to vote on Murray Hall name removal Friday
OSU President Burns Hargis has formally requested that the OSU/A&M Board of Regents include on its June 19 meeting agenda a vote to remove the name “Murray” from Murray Hall and North Murray Hall on OSU’s campus. OSU A&M Board of Regents Chair Tucker Link expressed support for the move and confirmed it has been placed on Friday’s agenda.

The building’s namesake — Oklahoma’s ninth governor, William H. “Alfalfa Bill” Murray — had a record of advocacy for racist policies including segregation and the promotion of Jim Crow laws. Read the full statements.
It's not a slippery slope Harry!

From what i've read Murray was a racist and promoted Racisim, but i don't think you should trade a racist with an anti-semite, such as Al Sharpton.

He absolutely was, but Harry is joking about the Al Sharpton part.

Reactions: Pokewood
sheesh...I thought this was a joke. They are really changing it. Brother oh brother. We've got a huge mess and it's gonna get worse. Ok, now that I'm a bit more enhanced with info, looks like they've been considering doing it for years. Might be a good thing to do to make some others happy.

sheesh...I thought this was a joke. They are really changing it. Brother oh brother. We've got a huge mess and it's gonna get worse. Ok, now that I'm a bit more enhanced with info, looks like they've been considering doing it for years. Might be a good thing to do to make some others happy.

I was going to say, this isn’t a new development. The SGA made a push for this my freshman year at OSU 20 years ago.

I'm hearing that the Hideaway is going to be renamed because it elicits memories of the underground railroad.

So brave.

Lewis stadium gets renamed to BPS stadium.

"Oh ok, cool"

A building named after (apparently) a racist might get renamed..

OH MY F*^%% G^%$ THE WORLD IS ENDING!
PAY-Watermelon-underpants.jpg

Reactions: pokesfan18
Context is your friend. In this case, broader context.

I did broaden the context. Ya'll are getting hung up on the renaming of a building because its named after someone who (apparently, I haven't researched myself yet) has a checkered past.

I'm showing that building names get changed all the time for all sorts of reasons, and nobody cares.

But to narrow the context back down. Why the opposition to this particular case? Do the ideals of the person the building is named after represent the University in a positive manner? Someone mentioned looking for the perfect hero.... was there anything particularly heroic about him that shines past his racist views and acts?

Reactions: davidallen
Ya I didn’t even know the name of this building until now. This isn’t a big deal to me.

I did broaden the context. Ya'll are getting hung up on the renaming of a building because its named after someone who (apparently, I haven't researched myself yet) has a checkered past.

I'm showing that building names get changed all the time for all sorts of reasons, and nobody cares.

But to narrow the context back down. Why the opposition to this particular case? Do the ideals of the person the building is named after represent the University in a positive manner? Someone mentioned looking for the perfect hero.... was there anything particularly heroic about him that shines past his racist views and acts?
In this instance, I have no real issue with the renaming.

But Lewis field (at Boone Pickens Stadium) still exists. Or at least I thought it did.

If not, my bad.

Lewis stadium gets renamed to BPS stadium.

"Oh ok, cool"

A building named after (apparently) a racist might get renamed..

OH MY F*^%% G^%$ THE WORLD IS ENDING!
I'm pretty sure the field is still called Lewis Field, but I could be wrong. I don't care about the changing of the name, as I never even wondered who Murray hall was named after. I just ask where this ends? Are we going to have to tear down Mount Rushmore since Jefferson and Washington owned slaves? I guess the Washington monument would have to go too. Shit, do we need to rename Washington, D.C. as well? There's never an end to this stuff, it's always on to the next thing to be outraged about and tear down. I just don't like to see all of our history being erased because flawed humans did some really good things as well as some really bad things since those bad things were normal at the time it occurred.

I'm pretty sure the field is still called Lewis Field, but I could be wrong. I don't care about the changing of the name, as I never even wondered who Murray hall was named after. I just ask where this ends? Are we going to have to tear down Mount Rushmore since Jefferson and Washington owned slaves? I guess the Washington monument would have to go too. Shit, do we need to rename Washington, D.C. as well? There's never an end to this stuff, it's always on to the next thing to be outraged about and tear down. I just don't like to see all of our history being erased because flawed humans did some really good things as well as some really bad things since those bad things were normal at the time it occurred.

Completely fair.

Reactions: HighStickHarry
In this instance, I have no real issue with the renaming.

But Lewis field (at Boone Pickens Stadium) still exists. Or at least I thought it did.

If not, my bad.

Yeah technically I think you are right. The whole thing was called "Lewis field" before, but now the field itself is still technically Lewis Field in BPS. Point stands though that nobody gives a shit about renaming buildings when somebody donates money. But people see this as a battle within a larger cultural war...but sometimes you gotta realize that even in war the actions of your "enemy" can be for the greater good, and you don't HAVE to fight it.

If freaking Germany and the allies could agree to celebrate Chistmas during WW I, conservatives can atleast ponder if its really good to be fighting against renaming a building named after someone who says..

""We should adopt a provision prohibiting the mixed marriages of negroes with other races in this State, and provide for separate schools and give the Legislature power to separate them in waiting rooms and on passenger coaches, and all other institutions in the State ... As a rule they are failures as lawyers, doctors and in other professions...I appreciate the old-time ex-slave, the old darky – and they are the salt of their race – who comes to me talking softly in that humble spirit which should characterize their actions and dealings with the white man.""

This is exactly the premise.

The fact (at least to my current understanding) that "demands" are left pretty nebulous leaves a pretty big wide interpretation of where an ending point might be.

I further believe "demands" are left nebulous for strategic reasons.

Yeah technically I think you are right. The whole thing was called "Lewis field" before, but now the field itself is still technically Lewis Field in BPS. Point stands though that nobody gives a shit about renaming buildings when somebody donates money. But people see this as a battle within a larger cultural war...but sometimes you gotta realize that even in war the actions of your "enemy" can be for the greater good, and you don't HAVE to fight it.

If freaking Germany and the allies could agree to celebrate Chistmas during WW I, conservatives can atleast ponder if its really good to be fighting against renaming a building named after someone who says..

""We should adopt a provision prohibiting the mixed marriages of negroes with other races in this State, and provide for separate schools and give the Legislature power to separate them in waiting rooms and on passenger coaches, and all other institutions in the State ... As a rule they are failures as lawyers, doctors and in other professions...I appreciate the old-time ex-slave, the old darky – and they are the salt of their race – who comes to me talking softly in that humble spirit which should characterize their actions and dealings with the white man.""
I have no issue with anything you just said and (hopefully) provided a clearer concern.

Its a fair question, but in some cases can you not balance the good and the bad aspects? Did this guy really do great things? Is the building really historical? Rushmore exists because those men did incredible things, things that altered the history of our planet and in overwhelmingly positive ways.

Did this guy? Was he even a net positive?

Its a fair question, but in some cases can you not balance the good and the bad aspects? Did this guy really do great things? Is the building really historical? Rushmore exists because those men did incredible things, things that altered the history of our planet and in overwhelmingly positive ways.

Can you clearly identify just who it is that you think you're debating at this point?

What's been said ITT, it's been far from an outcry about Murray or his hall.

There have been reasonable criticisms of the slope we continue to slip down, which you've avoided.

Reactions: Cowguy

How many good things do you have to do to overcome owning slaves? Who gets to make this decision? Is saying racist things worse than owning slaves? Personally, I don't think he should have ever had the building named after him in the first place considering he started the Oklahoma Tax Commission. I'm just asking who gets to make these decisions, and where does it end? Is erasing history the best way to go about it? I'm learning more about how much I hate William H. Murray today since his name is still on the building than I ever would have otherwise.

And just to give my opinion that nobody asked for. I'm against tearing down historical monuments and statues. Even those made for the most hideous of reasons. Put plaques in front of them describing what they did. The world is covered with monuments celebrating what we now concider evil, but they are a part of how we learn of our past.

Now crap statues built in the 60's as some political campaign. Whatever.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT