ADVERTISEMENT

Mt. Rushmore of Music

Ostatedchi

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2002
So with Prince's death, I thought of who would be on your Mr. Rushmore of music?

Elvis, Prince, Michael Jackson, and Lennon.

Who you got? (Must be dead)

I may like others better, but if you wanted to specifically use the best artists of the era, ones you tell your kids about were big during the time, would have to be:

Lennon, Elvis, Michael Jackson. I really don't know how you'd leave those 3 off. Each changed the face of the music industry in HUGE ways.

The 4th would be up to a lot of jammering and jawing.

James Brown, Kurt Cobain, Johnny Cash, Jimi, Jim Morrison, Bob Marley, Buddy, Frank, Ray Charles, Janis, Jerry Bear, Prince, Hank Sr. All had their reasons to be there by their culture changing and culture defying careers.

I love Prince and want to say him but for longevity, discography, and what he meant to a culture and spanning generations I would have to say...:

Freddie Mercury.

Reactions: CowboyJD
Elvis, Jackson, Temptations, Madonna

Healthy mix of history, popularity, style, sound, and influence.

Mozart. Elvis, Bono, and Michael Bolton.

j/k
giphy.gif

Buddy Holly
Johnny Cash
Lennon
Hendrix

Pretty damn hard to pick 4

My short list also included - Gram Parsons, Elvis, Janis Joplin, Cobain, Duane Allman, Jim Morrison, MJ, Stevie Ray, Prince

If I had to remove Lennon because not Amurican - MJ would be the 4th

Rap music completely changed the landscape of culture and music. You may not like it but I think Rap deserves a place on it.

Reactions: CBradSmith
Tupac is way underrated by people who don't listen to his music. One of the greatest story tellers via song ever for any genre. For me, he is the best rapper of all-time... Not to mention sold more albums than any others listed in this thread.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Tupac is way underrated by people who don't listen to his music. One of the greatest story tellers via song ever for any genre. For me, he is the best rapper of all-time... Not to mention sold more albums than any others listed in this thread.
Uhhh, he isn't even close to some mentioned in this thread....

Uhhh, he isn't even close to some mentioned in this thread....
Uhhh, Which rappers in this thread have sold more? According to IMDB he is the 4th highest selling rapper of all time behind Eminem, Jay-Z, and Kanye West.

My mt Rushmore gets no rap.
Beyond sir mixalot and mc hammer
it's pretty much unintelligible

Reactions: latimdj
Elvis, Cash, Jackson, Aretha, Dylan, Brown, Williams.

Damn that's hard.

Ask this question yesterday and Prince isn't in the top 20.

Well, since the discussion is about dead people, I think that is obvious.

But, I know what you mean, and I think it brings up 2 interesting points.

-I have always thought it is interesting how big Prince was for a decade and how much he faded into the background after that. He was as big as (maybe bigger than) Michael Jackson for a significant period of time. However, he was out of sight/out of mind in recent years. Part of the problem is that a lot of his best songs contained objectionable lyrics and could not be played on radio. Part of the problem is that much of his stuff didn't fall clearly into a particular genre of music. You won't hear a lot of his hits on a classic rock station. You won't hear it on a pop station, country station or alternative station.

-We always appreciate people more when they are gone than we did when they were alive. It is human nature and it does not just occur with famous musicians/actors. The same is true with people that we knew in our daily lives and probably even with family members. In the last 24 hours, I learned a lot of things about Prince that I never knew and gained a huge appreciation for how talented he was and how committed he was to being his own person and not conforming to the norm within the musician/entertainment community.

I'm not even going to pretend to a huge Prince fanboy. I know his hits and that is about it. I'm not sure he would make my personal Rushmore but I understand why he would make a lot of peoples. There aren't many who were amazing performers, songwriters and musicians. Even before yesterday you would hear all kinds of stories about a bunch of amazingly talented people being in a room and they would be in awe of Prince.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT