ADVERTISEMENT

MMA: Brown vs Lawler....

Honduee

Starter
Mar 22, 2010
....so, Brown comes in a bit over weight and really, I thought, looked uncomfortable most of the fight. Brown isn't the guy that's going to say much about stuff like that (possible injury). Notice, there's been no "Twittered" x-ray of the hand he looks like he broke in that last round, either. Lawler definitely outclassed Brown and proved he deserves the next title shot. And I found it odd that he never really took advantage with his kicks. Some of his head kicks are brutal. I really don't think anyone else in the WW division has a good shot of beating Johny anytime soon, except Lawler. I was really hoping for a Nick Diaz fight for Johny before another Lawler fight b/c I think he would ragdoll Nick. Easy money.

Also, totally off that topic, did anyone else catch the very quick head kick by that zagnut Conner McGreggor vs Brandao? He dominated, but that was a complete dick move. Can't wait to watch Poirier punch a hole in his face.

Also neither here nor there, but if Daniel Cormier beats up Jon Jones and wins the title in Sept. there will be more Oklahoma State UFC champs that Brazilian UFC champs. Not too shabby.

The medical suspensions were handed down and there was no mention of a broken hand so he must have just jammed it. Brown is a tough as nails fighter but just doesn't have have the skill to beat the elite guys at the weight.

I agree that right now Lawler is the toughest matchup for JH as he is rugged enough to take some punishment, has great takedown defense and has KO power the entire fight. I do think however a fully healthy JH will finish Lawler and it may not be the back and forth war the first one was.

DC has his hands more than full but I'll be pulling for him.

I thought Brown looked gassed from the end of the first round on. Not much power in his punches or kicks or even takedown attempts. Lawler looked tough, looked like he paced himself.

Rory actually scares me more for JH than Lawler (not that Lawler isn't a beast). I think if JH ccan mix in some more wrestling against Lawler he could handle him. Needs to avoid the slugfest he did last time.

I would bet the torn bicep limited the take down attempts last time. I would bet we see more next time around.

I think a JH/Rory fight goes a lot like the Lawler/Rory fight went. Rory didn't have the power to intimidate Lawler at all and Lawler just beat him up. Didn't Robbie use his kicks like clubs that fight?

I'm going to Vegas to watch Cormier beat Jones up and take that belt live and in person.

When that happens, I will have seen three former OSU wrestlers when a UFC championship belt live.

Can't wait.

On a different note: Fox replayed the Hendricks/GSP this week. Wanted to rewatch to see if a little less alcohol would change my perspective. After a second viewing I'm even more confused about how GSP won that fight.

Did the same thing. Was sober both times, and still can't even imagine where those scores came from. Hear all these crazy stories about judging in Vegas.....

I said terrible things to people I didn't know that evening. Deleted all my UFC/MMA related twitter and Facebook feeds. Swore it off completely.

I like GSP a ton. Great model of a pro. Super talented. But seriously, that was bullshit. I'm startin' to feel a return of the anger.....

Originally posted by Honduee:
I said terrible things to people I didn't know that evening.
Haha! Same here... I was a little surprised I made it out of the arena in one piece

Originally posted by osu2082:
Originally posted by Honduee:
I said terrible things to people I didn't know that evening.
Haha! Same here... I was a little surprised I made it out of the arena in one piece
I was at a wife's family member's 40th birthday in his home. I'm really lucky he's a very cool guy. Every time we see them I bring him another apology gift.

The week after the fight you had some backlash against people calling it a screw job. Some said if you really watch it round by round GSP won 3 rounds. I thought fair enough, I'm a huge Hendricks homer and I had a couple of drinks and I did't score it round by round.

Noper, after the rewatch I was somehow more mad. I really don't see how you could give GSP 3 rounds.

DC posted a pic of Tyrone helping him train. Is he coaching anywhere?

Off subject but I am glad the DC Jones fight has been pushed back. This will allow DC to heal his knee and get a full camp in.

Originally posted by osu2082:
Off subject but I am glad the DC Jones fight has been pushed back. This will allow DC to heal his knee and get a full camp in.
I'm not. I've already bought tickets, flight, hotel to the September fight. I will have to scheme and plot heavily to figure out how to do it again in January.

i'm just being selfish, I know.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT