Mike Gundy Suggests Oklahoma State Might Stop Hosting Spring Games

O-State1974

All-Big12
Gold Member
Jan 26, 2003
Allen, TX
Tulsa World
April 16, 2024

STILLWATER — Oklahoma State hasn’t held a spring practice since 2022 due to stadium renovations, but the next one OSU hosts will likely take place without Mike Gundy.

“What has happened the last two years is almost like what happened in COVID,” Gundy said on Tuesday. “Like a lot of stuff in COVID, we're like that is a pretty good idea. I don’t ever have to go to the office. I don’t have to get out of my PJs. So I think we’ve learned that not having a spring game, other than not engaging the fans, it used to be the fans and the recruits. Now, the recruits are fine. It is just the fans. So we might have to implement something for the crowd, the fans, but it is certainly more advantageous for us to have a practice (instead).”

Due to ongoing renovations, the Cowboys already planned to skip the spring game this year. Initially, there was some concern that losing the spring game might negatively impact recruiting, but Gundy doesn’t believe that to be true anymore.

There’s certainly evidence backing up his case. Five 2025 prospects have already committed to the Cowboys. Three of the commitments came in the last week following Oklahoma State’s “big recruiting weekends.”

“They come to practice on Saturday, and they actually enjoy it more than the spring game because they feel the same way I do,” Gundy said. “When they come watch practice, they can see their coaches working and the players. And they go to the spring game, and they see a flag football game. So it actually works better for us the way we set it up, and we can do a lot more things, and it gives us time they can come to my house, they can use the pool, and it actually works better now than it did with a spring game.”

On Tuesday, Gundy said he wasn’t sure what sort of fan engagement opportunity might replace the spring game if the program decides to end the annual tradition. A shortened open practice in the stadium was one option that might be considered.

One thing that the Oklahoma State coach knows without a doubt is that he won’t be sorry to see the end of spring games and the headaches that come with a game that doesn't include tackling.

“It is not really a football game,” Gundy said. “And it is hard to watch. It is hard for me to watch because the referees don’t know where to mark the ball down. I’m blowing the whistle and chasing the guy with the ball, telling him to bring it back here. The crowd is upset because they want it to be on the 20. He wants it to be on the 10. The kid says 'I wasn’t tackled, he wouldn’t have got me down,' the defensive guy says, 'You were down I would have tackled you.' So it is not really that great in my opinion.”

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News