ADVERTISEMENT

Marvel's New Star Wars Comics

TheRedSon

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2008
Waco, TX
So one of the side benefits of Disney buying Lucasfilm I never thought of at the time was Marvel getting control of the license from Dark Horse. Not that there's anything wrong with Dark Horse or inherently great about Marvel, but DH's stuff was stale a while back, and Marvel's got access now I doubt any other license holder other than Disney itself has (because it's all Disney...).

Anyway, I've read five issues among the four titles they're publishing. I wouldn't have bothered except on Free Comic Book Day last weekend I noticed there was a Princess Leia specific title... I had no problem skipping the other three, but we'd just got to the front of the line after 45 minutes, my 5 year old daughter didn't see anything of interest on the rack of free stuff we waited for and I wasn't going to let her strike out on Free Comic Book Day (or maybe I wasn't so easily going to let comic books strike out with her...). I believe I've mentioned here before that she is a ridiculously big Star Wars fan... One that has in the past asked why there's only one girl in the movies... So she had to have Princess Leia #1, and by that I mean I had to get it for her.

Not surprisingly, she loved it. What was surprising was I did too, and not just vicariously through her. It was really good, and arguably started with the best story to tell about Leia there could be... What happens right after the Death Star blows up when captivity and preservation of the Alliance stop infringing on the fact that her entire world was just obliterated.

So I picked up #2 later and the first issue of Kanan The Last Padawan (about Kanan Jarrus' history from the Star Wars Rebels cartoon). TLP shows how Kanan survived Order 66 in the first issue. If you haven't watched the show any it probably doesn't matter any to you, but I find him a compelling character. One I'd much rather see as the main protagonist instead of Ezra Bridger on the show. TLP wasn't as good as the Leia series, but that one gets to draw from Episode IV as backstory and everything with Kanan is at best four years before it, and at worst during the Prequels. It was still good.

So today I picked up Darth Vader #1. I'll probably grab the rest of it and the Star Wars title tomorrow (there is at least four and maybe six issues of those two series out already). Both of those series and the Leia series are between Episodes IV and V. DV is entirely from an Imperial perspective, to the point that the "Crawl" describes not a galaxy struggling from beneath the grip of tyranny, but the chaos caused by a dangerous band of outlaws.

Anyway, I wasn't really expecting much other than something for me and TheRedDaughter to do together. It was much better than just that though, and I think I can reccomend them with a straight face.

I have all of them on subscription at my local store. I have really enjoyed them, and my son does also. I have the Dark Horse series "The Star Wars" based on the original script that I need to sit down and read.

Reactions: TheRedSon
I'm not a Star Wars guy but they've been getting great reviews. They also have top-notch creative teams on them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT