ADVERTISEMENT

Major lineup changes coming this weekend!

Speaking of worlds colliding on espn 2 Valencia and Hall wrestled in the dual and Hall dominated and won 4 to 0. I really dislike penn. st. but They are at a different level of wrestling than any other program. I would hate to see how bad they would beat us.

That's very surprising. It looked like Valencia was separating himself a bit from Hall. I wonder if the weight cut is affecting Valencia.

Reactions: andegre
I'm stumped on what the lineup changes might be. Joe at 157 makes sense but isn't likely. Daton to 125 is understandable, but not good for the team (or Picc!).

The weigh-in sheets would show who started a descent plan. I've called our wrestling office several times in the past and demanded that they email me the weigh-in sheet within 24 hours of each dual & tournament. They keep hanging up on me. Rude.

I'm stumped on what the lineup changes might be. Joe at 157 makes sense but isn't likely. Daton to 125 is understandable, but not good for the team (or Picc!).

The weigh-in sheets would show who started a descent plan. I've called our wrestling office several times in the past and demanded that they email me the weigh-in sheet within 24 hours of each dual & tournament. They keep hanging up on me. Rude.

I would think the only lineup changes that could happen are...

Fix to 125 (Kaid or Picc to 133)
G down to 141
Joe to 165 or 174 (potential of the guy who gets beat out to go up and challenge)

It’s official major changes this week. Joe has been cutting weight like crazy he’s finally below 285. He’s been kicking whites ass everyday in the room. They’ve been honing his Muhammad Ali two step skills so he doesn’t get out danced by gable Stevenson
You must have been in the room when I was to watch that two step! LOL

I’m prepared to be proven wrong, but I think geer would handle him easily.

I think Joe would push him due to talent and technique but from a size and horsepower standpoint Geer would be tough for Joe. Joe does not have the body or "good weight" for 184.

165 is probably ideal if healthy and fully committed but 174 would be my guess as to where we might see him.

I think Joe would push him due to talent and technique but from a size and horsepower standpoint Geer would be tough for Joe. Joe does not have the body or "good weight" for 184.

165 is probably ideal if healthy and fully committed but 174 would be my guess as to where we might see him.

If chandler or cobe end up sitting it’s going to bug me.

Reactions: mike tognetti
If chandler or cobe end up sitting it’s going to bug me.

If they are best out by a better wrestler then it won't bother me. I like both guys and both are AA's but if someone beats them consistently and looks to project a better finish in March then that's just how this deal works.

If everyone is healthy we are going to have two very talented AA candadites sitting in the stands at nationals.

So looks like Joe Smith to 184.
Is Weigel hurt again?

I would think there must be a chance Preston is done for the year and will either end his career or they will petition for another year which would likely be granted.

I would think there must be a chance Preston is done for the year and will either end his career or they will petition for another year which would likely be granted.

I thought the same. Will be tough for him to come back from a muscle tear. He’s missed enough time you’d think a sixth year would be a given. But the plan was for geer to go 97. 84 is a tough cut for him. Might just create a logjam at 97 next year.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Preston could go heavyweight next year. Has to remain healthy and want to return, but it would solve some lineup issues.

I thought the same. Will be tough for him to come back from a muscle tear. He’s missed enough time you’d think a sixth year would be a given. But the plan was for geer to go 97. 84 is a tough cut for him. Might just create a logjam at 97 next year.

Very true although so much depends on Prestons health. Can he stay healthy for an entire season? If so he has semifinal potential. Don't know if Geer has shown that just yet. Good to have options but hate it if indeed Preston is injured again.

Preston could go heavyweight next year. Has to remain healthy and want to return, but it would solve some lineup issues.
Rex and Roger indicate Weigel was injured working out this week. He may have wrestled his last match at Bedlam. I believe we have better wrestlers than Hughes at 184 but may not want to burn redshirts. I also believe if and when Joe is ready to wrestle it will not be at 184. Joe certified this year at 165. I do not believe he could AA at 184.

Rex and Roger indicate Weigel was injured working out this week. He may have wrestled his last match at Bedlam. I believe we have better wrestlers than Hughes at 184 but may not want to burn redshirts. I also believe if and when Joe is ready to wrestle it will not be at 184. Joe certified this year at 165. I do not believe he could AA at 184.
The major changes coming end up being bad for the Cowboys. It is beginning to seem normal. Who knows how good Boo could have been without consistent injuries(he has been good even with the shoulder and whatever other physical problems he has had. I remember him his redshirt freshman year beating the Wyoming National runnerup and multiple times all American at 41. Feel sad for Weigel who really improved from the start where I remember seeing him at the Missouri open tournament his redshirt freshman year that we always went to and he looked sad.

Reactions: lincolnhs
Did he get hurt after Bedlam? Looked good then I thought

Don't guys need a minimum # of matches at their weight for RPI/rankings/conference qualifiers? So if more guys are going to move - Jacobe, Chandler, Daton, Picc - it needs to happen soon. Like Reno.

Kid just hasn't been able to stay healthy. Hate it for him.

He’s a guy that might actually do better with more weight. He doesn’t have Derek’s frame, but he’s big. Get the medical and grow him into a heavy.

I can’t help but think no cut would sort some of the injuries out

He’s a guy that might actually do better with more weight. He doesn’t have Derek’s frame, but he’s big. Get the medical and grow him into a heavy.

I can’t help but think no cut would sort some of the injuries out

I think you could be right. I think he is a guy who could very easily get to 230-240 quickly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT