ADVERTISEMENT

Lords Prayer in Aramaic

What I don’t get is how they can really know what the spoken words of these extinct languages sounded like 2024 years ago without actual audio recordings. We speak a lot of Latin in my church and in the legal profession, but I think that’s based largely on how French, Spanish, Italian, etc. are spoken today, and not on any original source. Hell, if you look at some of Shakespeare’s (supposedly pronounced “skacksper”) original text, it’s recognizable but still quite different from English of today, as are memoirs and literary works from the 1700s and 1800s.

What I don’t get is how they can really know what the spoken words of these extinct languages sounded like 2024 years ago without actual audio recordings. We speak a lot of Latin in my church and in the legal profession, but I think that’s based largely on how French, Spanish, Italian, etc. are spoken today, and not on any original source. Hell, if you look at some of Shakespeare’s (supposedly pronounced “skacksper”) original text, it’s recognizable but still quite different from English of today, as are memoirs and literary works from the 1700s and 1800s.
The Arabicization of the Middle East was not nearly as complete even as late as last century. There is some debate but Aramaic is essentially the ancient Semetic language of the region (Assyrians) with Hebrew and likely Arabic as offshoots. I'm sure the Aramaic today is akin to yer olde english. Oddly our modern languages mostly were homogenized/codified as late as 1850'ish timeframe (Italian, German, English, Spanish,...).

My wife is Lebanese and while they speak Arabic, they use many more Aramaic words that the Islamic countries. There are still cities in Lebanon, Syria, and Iraq where they speak much more Aramaic than Arabic even today. If you can find a Maronite Mass or other Eastern Rite (Syriac/Caldean,...), they use even today Aramaic instead of Latin. Pretty wild to think Jesus might actually be able to speak with the Priest...

Reactions: GunsOfFrankEaton
The Arabicization of the Middle East was not nearly as complete even as late as last century. There is some debate but Aramaic is essentially the ancient Semetic language of the region (Assyrians) with Hebrew and likely Arabic as offshoots. I'm sure the Aramaic today is akin to yer olde english. Oddly our modern languages mostly were homogenized/codified as late as 1850'ish timeframe (Italian, German, English, Spanish,...).

My wife is Lebanese and while they speak Arabic, they use many more Aramaic words that the Islamic countries. There are still cities in Lebanon, Syria, and Iraq where they speak much more Aramaic than Arabic even today. If you can find a Maronite Mass or other Eastern Rite (Syriac/Caldean,...), they use even today Aramaic instead of Latin. Pretty wild to think Jesus might actually be able to speak with the Priest...
Aramaic and Hebrew had a common root language...western Semitic or proto Canaanite. Hebrew is older than Aramaic. Aramaic became the language of "business" because of the conquest of the area by Assyria.

Hebrew, Aramaic, Arabic and the Ethiopian languages are pretty much all that's left of the Semitic languages today.

Jesus probably spoke Aramaic as His day to day language and Hebrew when reading the "Old Testament" as you call it or when in the Synagogue.

Baruch Haba B'Shem Adonai

My favorite version of Psalm 133:

Aramaic and Hebrew had a common root language...western Semitic or proto Canaanite. Hebrew is older than Aramaic. Aramaic became the language of "business" because of the conquest of the area by Assyria.

Hebrew, Aramaic, Arabic and the Ethiopian languages are pretty much all that's left of the Semitic languages today.

Jesus probably spoke Aramaic as His day to day language and Hebrew when reading the "Old Testament" as you call it or when in the Synagogue.

Baruch Haba B'Shem Adonai

My favorite version of Psalm 133:

Thanks for the history lesson and Psalm 133 posting!

Reactions: GunsOfFrankEaton
@DCandtheUTBand
Ran across this Semitic Language Tree

Looks like Hebrew is a child of Phoenician and Jewish a child of Aramaic, but I'm not quite sure what the "Jewish" language would be.
Hebrew, Phoenician and other "Canaanite" languages were basically the same until around 1000 BC according to some scholars. I also would not say that Greek was a Canaanite language. The Phoenicians created the alphabet that evolved into what Greeks and the Romans used and the English alphabet of today. Alef and Bet are A and B and where we get the word Alphabet. Phonics is a term derived from Phoenician. The Phoenician's were sea traders and spread their alphabet and language around the Mediterranean but Greek was already a people with their own language. Maybe it was a type of Semitic language but who knows. French and English are Germanic languages both heavily influenced by Latin and each other. Yet we would have to learn French as there are large differences . There is so much comingling that its hard to say what is what.

Abraham was a Chaldean Eberi aka Hebrew. He was not the founder of said tribe. His descendants are the most famous group of Eberis with the Israelites being the descendants of the Eberi Jacob his grandson.

English is a Indo-European language.
Lets look at the English word Father

The root or the Indo:
Hindi and Sanskrit = Pita
Greek = Pateras
Latin = Pater
Spanish and Italian = Padre
French = Pere
German and Dutch =Vater
Danish Swedish and Norwegian = Far
English = Father

Semitic languages
Hebrew =Abba
Arabic = Abu
Amharic (Ethiopia) = Abat

Interestingly father in Tamil, another language from India, is Appa

Also the French killed off the educated and are a bunch of slack jawed mush mouths.

Versailles = Ver sigh

but should probably be pronounced Ber sigh yeah s

Reactions: OrangeTuono
Hebrew, Phoenician and other "Canaanite" languages were basically the same until around 1000 BC according to some scholars. I also would not say that Greek was a Canaanite language. The Phoenicians created the alphabet that evolved into what Greeks and the Romans used and the English alphabet of today. Alef and Bet are A and B and where we get the word Alphabet. Phonics is a term derived from Phoenician. The Phoenician's were sea traders and spread their alphabet and language around the Mediterranean but Greek was already a people with their own language. Maybe it was a type of Semitic language but who knows. French and English are Germanic languages both heavily influenced by Latin and each other. Yet we would have to learn French as there are large differences . There is so much comingling that its hard to say what is what.

Abraham was a Chaldean Eberi aka Hebrew. He was not the founder of said tribe. His descendants are the most famous group of Eberis with the Israelites being the descendants of the Eberi Jacob his grandson.

English is a Indo-European language.
Lets look at the English word Father

The root or the Indo:
Hindi and Sanskrit = Pita
Greek = Pateras
Latin = Pater
Spanish and Italian = Padre
French = Pere
German and Dutch =Vater
Danish Swedish and Norwegian = Far
English = Father

Semitic languages
Hebrew =Abba
Arabic = Abu
Amharic (Ethiopia) = Abat

Interestingly father in Tamil, another language from India, is Appa

Also the French killed off the educated and are a bunch of slack jawed mush mouths.

Versailles = Ver sigh

but should probably be pronounced Ber sigh yeah s
So true and logical

Guess I gotta go to my neighborhood library now. Or maybe, I can Google it? I bet Dan has a hand in this! 😂
Since you've never been in a library or checked out a book, take your water bill and driver's license (if they haven't taken it for drunk driving) and they'll get you a card.
Do report back on your progress with the Dewey Decimal System.

Since you've never been in a library or checked out a book, take your water bill and driver's license (if they haven't taken it for drunk driving) and they'll get you a card.
Do report back on your progress with the Dewey Decimal System.
Good luck. 🤣

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT