ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like Biden endorses "Burn it down", taking down statues, revising history, rioting, all that..

Sorry, you are still one of my favorites on this board, but that one was CUp-level bad :)

I do think you are considering racial disparities and systematic racism as equal terms, and they are not.
A system that produces racial disparities is _____?

So yes? A computer program that picks out sku numbers that are stolen more often is racist?
Would you classify that as a system? And would you classify that as producing racial disparities?

Would you classify that as a system? And would you classify that as producing racial disparities?
Why wouldn’t it be? And what do you mean “classify”? Documented cases are already documented.

@blbronco see? just like we were discussing

Why wouldn’t it be? And what do you mean “classify”? Documented cases are already documented.

@blbronco see? just like we were discussing
I would say that is merely a computer program that reports which skus are most stolen. It doesn't sound like it produces any racial disparities. I think it would be a stretch to even call such a program a system.

I would say that is merely a computer program that reports which skus are most stolen. It doesn't sound like it produces any racial disparities. I think it would be a stretch to even call such a program a system.
Hahaha So you’re not aware of the repeated cases that pop up periodically of “racism” when sku’s of products frequently purchased by black people are locked up simply because they are identified by computer as frequently stolen?

Or are you being obtuse again?

Hahaha So you’re not aware of the repeated cases that pop up periodically of “racism” when sku’s of products frequently purchased by black people are locked up simply because they are identified by computer as frequently stolen?

Or are you being obtuse again?
Wait are you calling a computer program racist?

No.

Now that we are done with that dance, back to the original question.

What system? I just gave you a system. What is it?

flawed.

There are many causes of disparities. If you want to discuss the previous history of racial inequality, we can start there. The current system does not, necessarily, create disparities. I would argue that the current system does very little, in multiple ways, to reduce those disparities. Reparations, as some on left like to promote, would not erase or really even reduce those disparities. A politician that wants to do actual good, rather than claim power, could make a hell of a name foe him or herself looking in to that aspect. I think discussing disparities rather than screaming “racism” would be a good thing.

flawed.

There are many causes of disparities. If you want to discuss the previous history of racial inequality, we can start there. The current system does not, necessarily, create disparities. I would argue that the current system does very little, in multiple ways, to reduce those disparities. Reparations, as some on left like to promote, would not erase or really even reduce those disparities. A politician that wants to do actual good, rather than claim power, could make a hell of a name foe him or herself looking in to that aspect. I think discussing disparities rather than screaming “racism” would be a good thing.
Okay, lets start with the racial wealth gap. What can we do about the racial wealth gap. Or should anything be done?

any system that produces racial disparities.
That seems a wide range of different systems. Seems like there are a lot of different adjectives for them.

Perhaps pick one to narrow it down?

Okay, lets start with the racial wealth gap. What can we do about the racial wealth gap. Or should anything be done?

I think that is a good question, but not as simple a question as you are asking it. Grass roots development would be a good start. Active promotion of health and education, family involvement, changing community dynamics/involvement, etc. just taking money from some and giving to others will not help. Before getting too deep, I wonder if this is to be an actual discussion or just “gotcha” trolling? In most of our discussions, you have seemed sincere, I just want to know the motivation here. I will not claim to have all (or hell, most) of the answers. I do think discussion with other perspectives can help.

Reactions: iasooner1
I'll let you pick
You asked the question. No way of knowing if the system I pick will fit what you are looking for given how broad and vague the topic is. I already picked one that didn’t fit yore narrative.

End all social safety net programs and reduce taxes so people who work can keep more of what they earn. Those that don't work, have to rely on the charity of others.

Solved.

I think that is a good question, but as simple as you are asking it. Grass roots development would be a good start. Active promotion of health and education, family involvement, changing community dynamics/involvement, etc. just taking money from some and giving to others will not help. Before getting too deep, I wonder if this is to be an actual discussion or just “gotcha” trolling? In most of our discussions, you have seemed sincere, I just want to know the motivation here. I will not claim to have all (or hell, most) of the answers. I do think discussion with other perspectives can help.
No, I reward your sincerity with my sincerity.

I agree with an emphasis on education. Some one need to be pretty bold though to change policies in a way that ensures equal education quality for people regardless of income/wealth/neighborhood though.

I would be interested to hear your proposals on family involvement and community dynamics.

At the end of the day though if you are born with $1million and I am born with $0 if we get the same education and both have have awesome parents and awesome communities, chances are that wealth gap is going to expand not contract just by the nature of wealth.

Reactions: davidallen
End all social safety net programs and reduce taxes so people who work can keep more of what they earn. Those that don't work, have to rely on the charity of others.

Solved.
serious answers only please.

You asked the question. No way of knowing if the system I pick will fit what you are looking for given how broad and vague the topic is. I already picked one that didn’t fit yore narrative.
What would you call the "system" you picked.

Not if the disparities were in existence beforehand. That is mostly my point. Generational poverty is a good example.
I started life with nothing but my umbilical cord and so did you. Any population level disparities other than those caused by our mother's prenatal health were subsequently created by the system. Not a comfortable conversation, but it is a societal choice to allow generational wealth/poveryt.

Reactions: davidallen
In that case can you provide some color on how that would reduce the racial wealth gap?
Under my system it'll naturally resolve itself as people work and keep the fruits of their labor. When people see a path out of poverty, they'll take it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT