ADVERTISEMENT

Lehigh

Had him but ref wasn’t in position quick enough to see it. Sheets wins 5-0. Think they chose neutral in 2nd and Sheets took him down (wasn’t watching close at the time) and totally rode him like a boa constrictor. 3rd period reversal and the same dominant ride.

Reactions: PawhuskaPoke
Here's my dual notes:

Surber - L - Needs to increase shot speed and placement as well as gas tank. Did wrestle hard the whole match. Shots looked comparatively better late. IMO a late peak with focus on S&C may benefit Surber quite a bit.

Doucet - W - Big dudes doing what big dudes do... Not great tie up positioning. Good job holding position even giving up ~20lbs. Good sitout to standup escape. Looking better with handfighting in the 2nd. Nice scramble sequence, pretty good go behind attempts. Doucet is riding like a demon. Going to have a hard time against top teir opponents, but can definitely win some dual matches for us.

Mastro - W - Having trouble clearing hooks and ties early. Bailey doing a great job of tying up and staying active enough to get called on stalling. Lazy arm drag attempt. Bailey is just grinding it out. Bailey with a decent ride. Not a great single attempt and Bailey scrambles out of getting scored on. Mastro not looking good at all going into the 3rd. Bad ride and gets reversed. Mastro got the win in SV, won on a single leg, and out athleted him. Not a great showing but a win is a win.

Fix - W - Hard to glean much for this match, he's just so much better than McGonagle. He wrestled extremely measured. McGonagle did have a did decent ride, which is a bit concerning. Cheeky little footsweep cracked me up in the 3rd. Not a stellar performance, but he wrestled very conservatively for the most part.

Young - W - In early on a lowish single. Hines tried a roll out and got squashed. Young looking good w/ the takedowns. Young tying up quite a bit. Really good shin whizzer on good shot by Hines. Good ride to end the 2nd. Hines will probably end up being ranked higher than 24th to end the season. Gave up a late take down chasing a bonus point.

Voinovich - W - He got blowed the **** up off the whistle. I'll give it Voinovich though, he maintained his composure and didn't get pinned. Escape and 2 for Voinivich. Voinovich staying composed and chipping away. V stayed composed and just chipped away and outwrestled his opponent. Bad start, but great focus and comeback.

G!!! - L - Sorry no notes on this one, just enjoying watching my man wrestle. (He alomst sticks him to end it, but slips off chasing a headlock and gives up a reversal...)

Sheets - W - Undersized. Holding middle middle well. Fought off a good single leg. Dealing with the physicality quite well. Great reversal to start the 2nd then solid riding. Looking really good. GREAT RIDE OUTS.

Plott - W - Not looking great, but good shot defense. Very good riding in the 2nd. Not a great performance but simple and solid. Rode well.

Wittlake - W - Our boy is looking thicc. Doesn't seem to be much of a strength discrepancy at all. Good handfighting and position battle. Good escape and score on the edge, chained it together really well. I know it's early, but if Wittlake continues to add strength at his new weight, we might be looking at AA being a real possibility again at 184.

Overall the Cowboys looked solid, nothing spectacular, but I'll definitely take it being the first dual of the year and the first match of a double header.

Here's my dual notes:

Surber - L - Needs to increase shot speed and placement as well as gas tank. Did wrestle hard the whole match. Shots looked comparatively better late. IMO a late peak with focus on S&C may benefit Surber quite a bit.

Doucet - W - Big dudes doing what big dudes do... Not great tie up positioning. Good job holding position even giving up ~20lbs. Good sitout to standup escape. Looking better with handfighting in the 2nd. Nice scramble sequence, pretty good go behind attempts. Doucet is riding like a demon. Going to have a hard time against top teir opponents, but can definitely win some dual matches for us.

Mastro - W - Having trouble clearing hooks and ties early. Bailey doing a great job of tying up and staying active enough to get called on stalling. Lazy arm drag attempt. Bailey is just grinding it out. Bailey with a decent ride. Not a great single attempt and Bailey scrambles out of getting scored on. Mastro not looking good at all going into the 3rd. Bad ride and gets reversed. Mastro got the win in SV, won on a single leg, and out athleted him. Not a great showing but a win is a win.

Fix - W - Hard to glean much for this match, he's just so much better than McGonagle. He wrestled extremely measured. McGonagle did have a did decent ride, which is a bit concerning. Cheeky little footsweep cracked me up in the 3rd. Not a stellar performance, but he wrestled very conservatively for the most part.

Young - W - In early on a lowish single. Hines tried a roll out and got squashed. Young looking good w/ the takedowns. Young tying up quite a bit. Really good shin whizzer on good shot by Hines. Good ride to end the 2nd. Hines will probably end up being ranked higher than 24th to end the season. Gave up a late take down chasing a bonus point.

Voinovich - W - He got blowed the **** up off the whistle. I'll give it Voinovich though, he maintained his composure and didn't get pinned. Escape and 2 for Voinivich. Voinovich staying composed and chipping away. V stayed composed and just chipped away and outwrestled his opponent. Bad start, but great focus and comeback.

G!!! - L - Sorry no notes on this one, just enjoying watching my man wrestle. (He alomst sticks him to end it, but slips off chasing a headlock and gives up a reversal...)

Sheets - W - Undersized. Holding middle middle well. Fought off a good single leg. Dealing with the physicality quite well. Great reversal to start the 2nd then solid riding. Looking really good. GREAT RIDE OUTS.

Plott - W - Not looking great, but good shot defense. Very good riding in the 2nd. Not a great performance but simple and solid. Rode well.

Wittlake - W - Our boy is looking thicc. Doesn't seem to be much of a strength discrepancy at all. Good handfighting and position battle. Good escape and score on the edge, chained it together really well. I know it's early, but if Wittlake continues to add strength at his new weight, we might be looking at AA being a real possibility again at 184.

Overall the Cowboys looked solid, nothing spectacular, but I'll definitely take it being the first dual of the year and the first match of a double header.
Team score is a very good win by us. Surber wrestled hard but he gave up that swing single with some frequency and lost the match. HWT Doucette wrestled hard and smart and won a close match from the top position. Mastro wrestled poorly but still won against an opponent that should have been demolished. Daton won by major but not impressive and almost lost a major by lack of focus. Carter Young won and wrestled solid. He had an opportunity for a major but gave up a late takedown. Voinovich never quit and won a match he had given away in the first period. His opponent was not in the shape that Victor was in Victor got lots of single leg switch to double leg takedowns. G never gave up and was close to an opponent who was much better than him. G likely will get better. Sheets wrestled solid and won easily. Dustin Plott did not wrestle like an All American but won. He used to shoot takedowns with so much more speed and explosion ( high school). Wittlake wrestled smart and solid to win. Good team result but individual results I do not feel so good about. We have lots of room to improve.

Last edited:
125- not much different than what we’ve seen.
133- we know what we’ve got.
141- looked stronger and slicker.
149- never give up!!!! Victor didn’t look tired at all at the end.
157- G has always looked for the reverse more than the escape. Really good opponent.
165- Too bad 165 is so loaded. Sheets has to go to 157 to have a chance.
174- I expected more. Keeping matches close will get you beat.
184- I fell asleep and missed this one.
197- Surber seems to be a guy that learns quickly from his mistakes. Beard is a good measuring stick.
HWT- Good result. If he can beat the middle of the road guys consistently I’ll be happy.

Reactions: bwel9339
Was watching a couple of the matches over last night and noticed Ladarion Lockett around the bench area with the team at the Lehigh dual. He was wearing a orange osu wrestling hoodie. Is there any reason he was traveling with the team in PA?

Reactions: JAY45
Was watching a couple of the matches over last night and noticed Ladarion Lockett around the bench area with the team at the Lehigh dual. He was wearing a orange osu wrestling hoodie. Is there any reason he was traveling with the team in PA?
He wrestled PJ Duke (lost 4-3) at WrangleMania (which was also in Bethlehem) later in the day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT