ADVERTISEMENT

Killers of the Flower Moon

Been Jammin

Jun 27, 2003
Maybe this was discussed here previously, but I just read this book and thought it was really interesting. I was born and raised in OK and had never heard the story.

After I finished the book, I found out that it is going to be a movie (some guy named Scorsese is directing) released in 2021. Starring Leonardo and De Niro.

Maybe this was discussed here previously, but I just read this book and thought it was really interesting. I was born and raised in OK and had never heard the story.

After I finished the book, I found out that it is going to be a movie (some guy named Scorsese is directing) released in 2021. Starring Leonardo and De Niro.
Read the book when it first came out, 2-3 years ago. Love David Grann as an author. The movie has been all over the news here because they've been here doing casting calls and location searches.

Reactions: Been Jammin
I grew up in Osage County so we knew about the killings but they were never discussed in detail. There was a book called Tragedies of the Osage Hills that covered some of the killings and I remember reading some of it in elementary school in the 80s. The story was also given some time in the the Jimmy Stewart movie "The FBI Story."

I think Grann's book changed my opinion in that in the past I had always seen it as a single story line with WK Hale and the Burkhart boys when in reality the story was much more tragic and widespread than just the deeds of those individuals. If I had one complaint about the book it's that I feel that he rushed the ending a little bit. It seems to me as he dug deeper he found more and more material and finally decided he just needed to wrap it up. Nevertheless, good book that has brought some light on a story that needed to be told.

I grew up in Osage County so we knew about the killings but they were never discussed in detail. There was a book called Tragedies of the Osage Hills that covered some of the killings and I remember reading some of it in elementary school in the 80s. The story was also given some time in the the Jimmy Stewart movie "The FBI Story."

I think Grann's book changed my opinion in that in the past I had always seen it as a single story line with WK Hale and the Burkhart boys when in reality the story was much more tragic and widespread than just the deeds of those individuals. If I had one complaint about the book it's that I feel that he rushed the ending a little bit. It seems to me as he dug deeper he found more and more material and finally decided he just needed to wrap it up. Nevertheless, good book that has brought some light on a story that needed to be told.

Agree. I wonder if the Bureau knew there was more to the story, but were just happy to get some convictions so they could garner good PR points and move on.

I still haven't read that book, but heard it's fantastic. I've been enjoying all the renewed focus lately on Oklahoma history. Eastern Oklahoma has an insane history with the indians and slaves and various rebellions, and it's starting to get more attention. I saw a Smithsonian article on the Green Corn Rebellion the other day, and I've wondered why there isn't more dramatization of some of the old indian rebellions and crazy stuff that went down pre-statehood. For that matter, all over the place with the early oil booms.

There's a Quanah Parker biography that's fantastic if anyone's read it. Seeing his Star House somewhere around Apache is one of the bucket list items I still gotta do.

I still haven't read that book, but heard it's fantastic. I've been enjoying all the renewed focus lately on Oklahoma history. Eastern Oklahoma has an insane history with the indians and slaves and various rebellions, and it's starting to get more attention. I saw a Smithsonian article on the Green Corn Rebellion the other day, and I've wondered why there isn't more dramatization of some of the old indian rebellions and crazy stuff that went down pre-statehood. For that matter, all over the place with the early oil booms.

There's a Quanah Parker biography that's fantastic if anyone's read it. Seeing his Star House somewhere around Apache is one of the bucket list items I still gotta do.
Killers of the Flower Moon is a fantastic book. Highest recommendation.

In the book, when they are talking about the auctions under the million dollar elm, the auctioneer, Colonel Walters, is my wife's great great grandfather. There is a statue of him and Chief Baconrind shaking hands in Skedee OK.

DSCI0091-151x151.jpg

Guy in the striped shirt

Million-Dollar-Elm.jpg

In the book, when they are talking about the auctions under the million dollar elm, the auctioneer, Colonel Walters, is my wife's great great grandfather. There is a statue of him and Chief Baconrind shaking hands in Skedee OK.

DSCI0091-151x151.jpg

Guy in the striped shirt

Million-Dollar-Elm.jpg

So the oppression of your people by her family continues to this very moment.

So the oppression of your people by her family continues to this very moment.
Hey kraut, I'm not Osage .. plus he was a friend to the Osage. The Osage are wealthy because he told them to keep mineral rights. They made him an honorary member and gave him fine jewelry.

Hey kraut, I'm not Osage .. plus he was a friend to the Osage. The Osage are wealthy because he told them to keep mineral rights. They made him an honorary member and gave him fine jewelry.

Stockholm syndrome. You know you’re oppressed.

PS. I’m only ‘mostly’ Kraut.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT