ADVERTISEMENT

Keltec PMR30

Rulz

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2005
Anybody have one? What do you think? I'm eye balling one right now online and thinking of snagging it. I have read reviews, seen a few videos....looks to be a solid .22 mag offering, just have to run high velocity rounds for it to function correctly. Break it in with 25 rounds in the mag and blah blah blah....anyway, just wondered if any of my fellow Poke gun nuts had a few thoughts...

Ok. Just got my pmr30 in yesterday and had a chance to go to the range. I used CCI WMR rated at 2200, the hyper velocity stuff. I had absolutely no feeding issues, the gun shot strait through 4 mags and then....I wasn't able to hit crap....and then I found out why. The front sight was drifting, I didn't notice it, and then it was....*POOF*....gone. I looked around for an hour and couldn't find it. I got to the outdoor range and in the grass that little black site with the yellow green portion was just too small to find in the late evening sun.

Kind a minor issue in some ways, but pretty damned annoying considering all the hype on this gun. I did my research before buying, Keltec does have some quality control issues that have popped up. But I hadn't heard of this one until this happened and I saw a thread on a gun board where a guy had the exact same happen.

But I will say aside from the sight issue, this gun is really really fun to shoot!! With the CCI 2200 HV rounds, it packs a wallop for a 22 mag. I don't have a chrono, but I would guess it's coming out of the gun somewhere around 1600-1800 since I am pretty sure the velocity rating is for rifle use.

Very little to no recoil, the trigger pull feels around the 2.5 to 3.5 area. Big fireball at the muzzle with each shot (at least with this ammo, I believe it's that way with the majority of rounds). It has really percussive blast that you feel coming back at your face, it almost feels like you are getting punched in the nose slightly lol. That's the best way to describe it. Feels like the gun is developing a lot of pressure, just a weird feeling, much like what Hickok45 was talking about in his videos on YouTube if anyone follows him.

Would I buy it again? Oh hell yes. My only other complaint is the slide, my wife is so weak that she has trouble getting it back to chamber the first round. But she's a pretty big wimp with anything like that so I can't say that's for sure going to be an issue with anyone else. My 75 year old mom was able to work it with some effort, mainly gripping the slide and pushing on the grip forward.

I will update the time it takes for Keltec get me a new sight in the mail and to my door. I have heard some so-so things about their customer service. I have been spoiled with Henry's customer service so I guess I will have to relax a bit and see what happens. What did I pay? $450 on Gunbroker, that's before shipping and transfer so just slightly over $500 all told. I got the tan version, it looks pretty damn sweet. Comes with two mags. I broke those in with 20 round loads first and then crammed a full 30 on my last two. I will post a pic or two once I can get them loaded up.

Shoot it minus the sight and you'll be a much better shooter for it. When you finally have something to aim with, you will be shockingly better than you were.

And the slide will get much easier as all the parts mate to one another over a few hundred rounds. It just needs to break in. My Wilson Combat 9MM was virtually impossible to cycle a round in manually until a few hundred rounds were shot through it. It never jammed. It was just TIGHT

Good to know. Yeah I will try some of that. I have actually been doing some "point and shoot" techniques lately with my Colt .45 with some decent success. I like being able to shoot and hit a target without the sights since that's the idea really when it comes down to it....not much time to get perfectly lined up if the bad guy is bearing down.

Just called Keltec today. Got through after a 10 min wait, they said they would send me a new front sight in the mail. Good to go I hope. Not the disaster I have heard some folks say when they have called Keltec, and hopefully my sight comes in quick. We will see, but so far I am pleased with their response.

This is a common thing with the pmr30, so beware if you get one, check the front site for fitment. Also check the rear sights, they apparently will work their way off as well, the little rods will come loose.

Got the front sight in yesterday. So, pretty good response time from Keltec considering the weekend is included in there. It takes a VERY tiny Allen wrench to get it locked down, and you have to be careful not to over tighten it as well. Two little screws on either side of the sight. I had the Allen wrench that came with my Lasermax sight for my Ruger 10/22 that worked for this.

So far after a couple more range trips I couldn't be happier with this gun. I have had one failure to feed issue that was actually my fault because I had reloaded the same ammo a couple times in the magazine. Because 30 rounds fits so tight, you will probably bend the cases to some degree if you load and unload the magazine as I did (this was actually an "experiment" I was doing). But with fresh ammo it worked perfectly. Shot about 160 rounds last trip with no issues. 60 were 30 quick shots, reload, then another 30 quick shots, all as fast I could go. It's tougher to reload another magazine quickly with the release positioned where it is (at the base of the grip and on the backside). You can't be reaching for another mag as you eject one for a "tactical reload" since you have to use your weak hand to pull the existing mag. Hopefully in a defensive situation you are done after 30 rounds lol.

I finally got around to looking up the PMR 30 on Keltec's site. With that stacked 22 mag magazine in the grip, I don't know if my midget hands could get around the thing haha. Still, 30 rounds of 22 mag goodness might be worth it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT