ADVERTISEMENT

Jr. World championships

Daton has 11-0 tf over Abdulaev. 1-0 after 1 period. Daton made several great counters in the 2nd period for takedowns.

Daton's opponent in the semis is Nader Amir Nasrisamakoush (IRI). He won bronze in this year's Asian Championships. Back in 2014 he won bronze at 50 kg in Cadets.

USA is undefeated on the day so far.

Daton's opponent in the semis is Nader Amir Nasrisamakoush (IRI). He won bronze in this year's Asian Championships. Back in 2014 he won bronze at 50 kg in Cadets.

USA is undefeated on the day so far.
The winner of the above match will face Gadzhiev of Russia. The match will not start for another 5 minutes or so to give the 30 minute rest. Wrassler we did lose Heinselman at 50KG but we have won all of the other matches.

The winner of the above match will face Gadzhiev of Russia. The match will not start for another 5 minutes or so to give the 30 minute rest. Wrassler we did lose Heinselman at 50KG but we have won all of the other matches.
Almost over before it started Fix has a takedown and 4 trap-arm guts for a 10-0 win and is in the finals.

50 KG was yesterday old man, since you don't work and retired, everyday seems the same. After Gabe win here we have all 4 in the finals!

50 KG was yesterday old man, since you don't work and retired, everyday seems the same. After Gabe win here we have all 4 in the finals!
Gabe wins 21-10 so we DO have 4 in the finals. Outstanding effort by the US team! BTW Gabel led throughout the match but at 14-7 he had two cautions and would have lost the match if he got another one. The Russian was huge and able to push Steveson off the mat but no match in skill set.

Gabe wins 21-10 so we DO have 4 in the finals. Outstanding effort by the US team! BTW Gabel led throughout the match but at 14-7 he had two cautions and would have lost the match if he got another one. The Russian was huge and able to push Steveson off the mat but no match in skill set.

Daton has Ismail Gadzhiev (RUS) in the finals. Don't see a lot about him.
Ryan Deakin has Baev (RUS) in the finals at 66 kg.
Zahid has Naifonov (RUS) in the finals at 84 kg.
Gable has Hassanzadeh (IRI) in the finals at 120 kg.

Deakin has Baev (RUS) in the finals at 66 kg.
Sorry for the mistake Wrassler, Lets give Deakin some love. He won by tf 13-0, 7-6 decision, 10-2 decision to reach the finals at 66kg.

Sorry for the mistake Wrassler, Lets give Deakin some love. He won by tf 13-0, 7-6 decision, 10-2 decision to reach the finals at 66kg.
I have to take a relative to the hospital for surgery so I will not be able to watch the finals live.:oops:

No problem Obe, I'm tired too.:) Ryan Deakin has really been wrestling great in freestyle this year. He's someone to watch at 149 in college.

On Daton's opponent in the finals, here's a throwback. Ismail Gadzhiev won the Youth Olympic Games back in 2014, beating Cade Olivas in the finals at 46 kg. Olivas committed to ASU but later stopped wrestling due to injuries (think it was concussions).

Ryan Deakin has Baev (RUS) in the finals at 66 kg.
Dang, we put 4 in the finals and have to win 2 to win the tourney? Need to change that scoring system :rolleyes:

that kind of reminded me of Austin Schafer wrestling Stoll last year. Nothing but push there....

Dang, we put 4 in the finals and have to win 2 to win the tourney? Need to change that scoring system :rolleyes:
We put 4 in the finals, the russians 3. Plus, their heavy can pick up 2 additional team points by winning bronze. Go into finals ahead by 3. Great job by the young men, lets finish strong!

Reactions: Wrassler17
Good news for the old man. The schedule today shows that the finals are from 10AM and 12pm. The surgery time is 11:30 so I believe I will get to watch Daton's match and probably 1-2 others.:):)
BTW Gabel Steveson's opponent lost a 100 KG match in April in the semi-finals so he is undersized and he has won his matches by scores of 5-1,3-1,3-1. Both Valencia and Deakin have tough matches but I am predicting based on my "vast" knowledge of free style wrestling that we will win 3 of 4 matches.

Good news for the old man. The schedule today shows that the finals are from 10AM and 12pm. The surgery time is 11:30 so I believe I will get to watch Daton's match and probably 1-2 others.:):)
BTW Gabel Steveson's opponent lost a 100 KG match in April in the semi-finals so he is undersized and he has won his matches by scores of 5-1,3-1,3-1. Both Valencia and Deakin have tough matches but I am predicting based on my "vast" knowledge of free style wrestling that we will win 3 of 4 matches.
I'm no coward. I am going out on a limb and giving the team scores before the finals.
1. U.S 66
2. Russia 63
3. Iran 47
4. Turkey 34
5. Armenia 30
6. Azerbaijan 30
7. India 27
8. Georgia 24
9. Mongolia 23
10. Germany 15

If Gable Dan wins, we win. If he doesn't, and the Russian wins bronze, it will be a tie.

Yes! Gable Steveson wins 5-1 over Hassanzadeh (IRI) at 120 kg and takes gold!

AND with that, the USA wins the Junior World Team Title!

Congratulations to our freestyle team - a great performance by all 8 guys. Everyone contributed the points needed to win the team title.

And good luck to our greco and women's freestyle teams in the coming days.

Congratulations to all especially Daton. The Russian stopped his trapped arm gut illegally. The ref twice tried to penalize him for, holding Deaton's hand, and was white paddled both times. Did not matter as Fix crushed him anyway.

Is Fix the most decorated junior wrestler we've ever gotten? My knowledge doesn't go back nearly as far as most on here.

Reactions: MiccoMacey
Is Fix the most decorated junior wrestler we've ever gotten? My knowledge doesn't go back nearly as far as most on here.
He certainly is one of the most decorated HS wrestlers we have signed. He will have many more decorations after 4-5 years in Stillwater. Daton had 53 points against 1 point scored against him. Could hardly have been more dominant.We had 68 points and if Heinselman had not scored 3 team points we would not have beaten Russia. Congrats to all 8 team members.

Reactions: Air_Thurman

It could easily be argued that he is which is a pretty incredible feat.

It does beg the question what does he and the staff decide to do this next year? It's hard not to think he could be a title contender as a true freshman.

Congratulations to all especially Daton. The Russian stopped his trapped arm gut illegally. The ref twice tried to penalize him for, holding Deaton's hand, and was white paddled both times. Did not matter as Fix crushed him anyway.
Mr. Grapple you are 100% correct and the holding on three different occasions should have cost the Russian points and three times it was white boarded by the table officials. This is one of the pitfalls of international freestyle wrestling. It is either a penalty or it is not.

It does beg the question what does he and the staff decide to do this next year? It's hard not to think he could be a title contender as a true freshman.
Daton says he will do whatever Coach Smith wants. Hard to see him not redshirting with an All-American returning at the weight. I hope that he is red-shirted. Even if he were to be National champion we would not win next year's championship. He can still be a four time National champion and by the end of his career his final year may make a difference in the team race.BTW he is a four year 125 pounder according to his high school coach who "knows" him well.

You've got to redshirt him right? We aren't winning next year.

Not sure how you juggle the lineup with the smaller weight guys but you have a chance to throw out a nasty squad in 19. Of course PSU is going to be PSU.

Not sure how you juggle the lineup with the smaller weight guys but you have a chance to throw out a nasty squad in 19. Of course PSU is going to be PSU.

Things can always change, but during coach Smith's interview at Fargo he said we were in a position to redshirt both Fix and Gfeller this year.

Oh I think you RS him but he is a legitimate NC contender and it's hard to RS those guys.

Next year Picc will have a tough choice in front of him if what weight to shoot for. Not sure if Brock will be a guy who will keep growing to bump up to allow all these talented lightweights in the lineup.

Oh I think you RS him but he is a legitimate NC contender and it's hard to RS those guys.

Next year Picc will have a tough choice in front of him if what weight to shoot for. Not sure if Brock will be a guy who will keep growing to bump up to allow all these talented lightweights in the lineup.
I believe Pic will go to 133 after next year and Brock will go up to 141. That seems to be the plan.

I believe Pic will go to 133 after next year and Brock will go up to 141. That seems to be the plan.

I would love for that to pan out. I do question if Brock will have the natural size and strength for 141. He seems small and can get our horsed at times at 133. Hopefully another year of physical maturity will help.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT