ADVERTISEMENT

Jon Snow speculation

"Theon Greyjoy had once commented that Hodor did not know much, but no one could doubt that he knew his name. Old Nan had cackled like a hen when Bran told her that, and confessed that Hodor's real name was Walder. No one knew where 'Hodor' had come from, she said, but when he started saying it, they started calling him by it. It was the only word he had." AGOT, pg 242.

"'Hodor,' Bran agreed, wondering what it meant." AGOT pg. 582.

Yeah Hodor supposedly mean winter. I think that may be why some people think the white walkers had something to do with him.

Is there ever any more mention of Rickon?

You would think if Theon goes home, wins rule of the Isles because his dad is dead, he would support Sansa and Jon.

Some think Hodor is related to Dunk. Not sure that would translate to the show though.

I don't follow the casting news at all. Is Victarion going to be on the show?

Yeah Hodor supposedly mean winter. I think that may be why some people think the white walkers had something to do with him.

Is there ever any more mention of Rickon?

You would think if Theon goes home, wins rule of the Isles because his dad is dead, he would support Sansa and Jon.

When you ask about Rickon, do you mean books or show? Because HBO has not given us any idea where he went, or what he is doing, since he left with Osha. In the books, it is pretty clear that he and Osha went to the island of Skaagos, and Davos is going to go there to find him (as of the end of the 5th book). Wyman Manderly, who sent Davos to Skaagos, plans to take Winterfell from the Boltons/Freys and install Rickon there as King of the North/Warden of the North.

As to Theon, I doubt he returns to the Iron Isles in the books. I agree with you about where his allegiance would lie, but I am not convinced that he makes it back to the Iron Islands in the show, or that they would be inclined to make him their leader.

Some think Hodor is related to Dunk. Not sure that would translate to the show though.

I don't follow the casting news at all. Is Victarion going to be on the show?

I don't think there has been any indication that we will see Victarion. At least not this season.

I have a hard time seeing Hodor being related to Dunk. Unless the whole "He has Giant's blood" thing is a complete red herring. I also don't see him being related to the White Walkers, but maybe I will be surprised.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Yeah there is not much to the Dunk/Hodor theory except

1.) Martin said we would see Dunk's decedents in the main series

2.) Dunk spent time in Winterfell.

Reactions: Been Jammin
I don't think there has been any indication that we will see Victarion. At least not this season.

I have a hard time seeing Hodor being related to Dunk. Unless the whole "He has Giant's blood" thing is a complete red herring. I also don't see him being related to the White Walkers, but maybe I will be surprised.
Victarion would be redundant unless he's eventually intended to usurp Euron in the storyline. Otherwise the show is just setting up a "Asha vs. Euron" battle for the Salt Throne.

I think too much is being made of Hodor. He doesn't have to have some super secret, super important parentage just because he's now been revealed as having an interesting past.

Love the flashbacks for Bran, wanting to hear more about not staying in those places too long.

Isn't the Devil in Norse mythology something very similar to Hodor? I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that he's constantly naming the leader of the weights.

If Dunk is related he'd be his what, Grandpa? He'd be about 110 if he were still alive in GOT. I'm guessing Hodor is about 45.

Theon told Sansa he was going 'home'. I bet he considers Winterfell home.

If Dunk is related he'd be his what, Grandpa? He'd be about 110 if he were still alive in GOT. I'm guessing Hodor is about 45.

Yeah, maybe he hid the salami with old nan back in the day? There isn't any text to back it up. Just the fact that Martin said we will meet Dunk's decedents. Everyone giant has a theory including Brienne

Brienne would actually make more sense. Tall, smart, noble, good warrior, wasn't she sort of outcast from her father or am I lumping her in with Sam?

Victarion would be redundant unless he's eventually intended to usurp Euron in the storyline. Otherwise the show is just setting up a "Asha vs. Euron" battle for the Salt Throne.

I think too much is being made of Hodor. He doesn't have to have some super secret, super important parentage just because he's now been revealed as having an interesting past.

Love the flashbacks for Bran, wanting to hear more about not staying in those places too long.

Yeah, the revelation that Bran would leave the cave really surprised me. I'm still ticked the 3 eyed raven looks nothing like he should. No long hair, red birthmark, red eye or missing eye. They didn't even try to make him look like the previous actor from the earlier season.

We went from..
latest

to
95346135-got_sydow-TV-large_trans++piVx42joSuAkZ0bE9ijUnGH28ZiNHzwg9svuZLxrn1U.jpg

Well, if Jon used the same argument Stannis did about 'guard the realms of man.' If Ramsey decides to attack Castle Black or makes some other sort of action that threatens the 'realms of man' then maybe they can twist it so. I doubt Jon would need too much more than the wildlings and whatever northerners would back him.

Also, has anyone else heard much about Meera (the girl with Bran) being Jon's twin?

Does anyone think Hodor's condition has anything to do with the white walkers?

The whole twins separated at birth to protect them from the kind thing just seems a little too Star Wars to me. I think GRRM is better then that.

Hodor has some significance. To me the flash back confirmed it.

The whole twins separated at birth to protect them from the kind thing just seems a little too Star Wars to me. I think GRRM is better then that.

Hodor has some significance. To me the flash back confirmed it.

Here are 2 interesting theories on the crypts of Winterfell and one of them involves Hodor.

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/2xhbd9/spoilers_all_i_know_whats_in_lyannas_crypt_and/

https://www.reddit.com//r/asoiaf/comments/3e59hh/spoilers_all_walder_and_the_crypts/?sort=confidence

That's some bad rambling

Agreed. I'm not convinced that there is more to the crypts than what we have already seen. If so, I would have expected them to be brought into the story more while Winterfell was in the hands of the Ironborn and the Boltons. I know that Lady Dustin had Theon (Reek) take her down into the crypts, but it didn't seem like anything significant happened, or was discovered, while they were down there. Other than that, the crypts were not mentioned after Bran and company left Winterfell, and that happened in the 2nd book (or maybe the first).

Have you read the Great Northern Conspiracy? It has 6 parts.
I have not. Reading that article was the first time I have heard of a pack with the Others and the Starks. If you get some free time and don't mind posting the link I would love to read the theory.

Daughter sent me this. I don't even watch the show, but I thought it was terrific.

...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm???

I assume that you are asking for more info about the theory. In a nutshell, the idea is that Lyanna had twins (with Rhaegar being the father) and Ned found her dying, just after childbirth, in the Tower of Joy. He and Howland Reed each took 1 of the twins in order to keep them safe from Targaryan enemies (Tywin Lannister, Robert Baratheon, et al). Ned claimed that Jon was his bastard son and Howland Reed simply disappeared into the Neck and never needed to make up a story due to the reclusive nature of his people.

The support behind this theory is that some of the appendices, of the books, list the ages of the characters, and Jon and Meera are listed as being the same age. in addition, HBO cast an actress to play Meera, who looks somewhat similar to Kit Harrington (Jon). The two are described similarly by GRRM.

I assume that you are asking for more info about the theory. In a nutshell, the idea is that Lyanna had twins (with Rhaegar being the father) and Ned found her dying, just after childbirth, in the Tower of Joy. He and Howland Reed each took 1 of the twins in order to keep them safe from Targaryan enemies (Tywin Lannister, Robert Baratheon, et al). Ned claimed that Jon was his bastard son and Howland Reed simply disappeared into the Neck and never needed to make up a story due to the reclusive nature of his people.

The support behind this theory is that some of the appendices, of the books, list the ages of the characters, and Jon and Meera are listed as being the same age. in addition, HBO cast an actress to play Meera, who looks somewhat similar to Kit Harrington (Jon). The two are described similarly by GRRM.
I hadn't heard that theory before. I hope it's not true. It's a little too "Star Wars ripoff" for me.

Well which theory for a third Targ is more far fetched and cleaner? Meera is a twin or Tyrion is also a secret Targ bastard?

Honestly I favor the twin theory (let's reveal the lineage all at once as a doubles uprise to all) over a second bastard surprise (so you are a secret dragon.... and you are a secret dragon... anyone else?).

Also remember... GRRM is nothing more than a big fantasy and comic geek that made it big. Almost makes sense he might have subliminally stuck a Star Wars ref in there.

Well which theory for a third Targ is more far fetched and cleaner? Meera is a twin or Tyrion is also a secret Targ bastard?

Honestly I favor the twin theory (let's reveal the lineage all at once as a doubles uprise to all) over a second bastard surprise (so you are a secret dragon.... and you are a secret dragon... anyone else?).

Also remember... GRRM is nothing more than a big fantasy and comic geek that made it big. Almost makes sense he might have subliminally stuck a Star Wars ref in there.

I'm with you. I think HBO has kind of laid the groundwork for there to be two babies in the tower. (GRRM did also). It is also possible that Jon, Meera and Tyrion are all secret Targs. Just because "the dragon has 3 heads" does not mean that there are only 3 options for dragon riders. Obviously, Dani is a Targ, and it seems very likely that she will ride Drogon. It is possible that 2 of the other 3 ride the other two (if in fact all 3 are ridden). It is also possible that a dragon rider will die and the 4th Targ will then get his/her chance.

Of course, in the books, we also have Aegon (young Griff) who is either another Targaryean or a doppelganger who is not really a Targ but has always been told that he is one.

I hope those theories aren't true. At some point there are too many people who may or not be secret Targs. Also if Meera was a secret Targ I almost think she would have played a bigger role in the books to this point.

Reactions: PDT816
I think Martin really likes developing background more than telling the main story. As a result, we all see red herrings every turn. Meera theories are probably over thinking it IMO

I think Martin really likes developing background more than telling the main story. As a result, we all see red herrings every turn. Meera theories are probably over thinking it IMO

Well, maybe. But, I'm not so sure.

It always struck me as very strange that Howland Reed would send his two young kids to Winterfell while The War of the Five Kings was ongoing. Why? It would be more likely, if he were to send his two young children (and only heir) on a long journey, through a land at war, that he would send them under the protection of an entourage of fighters, (or if he wanted them to not attract attention, send at least 1 bodyguard with them). Now, if GRRM had told us that they ran away, I might buy that. But, he has never really explained why they showed up at Winterfell.

To me, this suggests that he needed to interject them into the story for some reason, and needed them to be part of Bran's entourage for some reason (i.e. so the reader could get to know Meera as a character). Bran's story doesn't need Meera. He could have been accompanied by anyone. It could have been the Winterfell blacksmith's son, or an apprentice baker from the kitchens.

I won't be surprised if the Meera theory turns out to be fanboy BS, but something just doesn't add up about her and Jojen. Either their backstory is one of the weakest parts of what GRRM has written in ASOIAF, so far, or he has purposely made it murky in an attempt to catch the reader by surprise when we learn of her (or Jojen's) true significance to the story.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT