ADVERTISEMENT

Jan. 27 Cowboy Roundup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff J.

Jul 6, 2003
First, the ground rules. We're serious about this being a Corral-only piece. Everything that is reported in the Cowboy Roundup must stay in the Cowboy Roundup. That's the way this deal works. Sometimes the info is sensitive enough that it simply doesn't need to be passed on beyond the doors of this thread.

This is a special feature for subscribers only. The reason why it is posted on the premium board (as opposed to a normal story) is because it's the only way to ensure that the info stays is exclusive to Cowboy fans. This will only work if everyone helps make it work.

We told you there might be a few surprises towards the end of recruiting, and it looks like one will come in the form of an unexpected visitor - Josh Johnson.

No, not the running back from Ponca City, but rather the linebacker from Georgia Military College.

Johnson has a big-time pedigree, having signed with Georgia out of high school. He's gotten very strong looks this year from the likes of Florida, South Carolina, Tennesse and Memphis. He's No. 37 in the Rivals.com JUCO top 100 and held four-star status until just recently. (JJ)

There is some potentially outstanding news for the OSU secondary.

Safety Thomas Wright, who was dismissed from the team shortly after practices started last August, is back in Stillwater. He is taking classes (possibly at NOC) and has told acquaintances his plan is to be back on the team.

Wright would have been in his senior season had he competed in 2005. However, he never redshirted after playing as a true freshman in the 2002 season and could use last year as a redshirt season. Wright's situation is fairly similar to that of Jeremy Nethon and that bodes well for him. He'll have to prove his mettle in the classroom and on the field, but he should get that chance...but it may not be until next fall.

I had heard Wright was back in town from some people who had run into him, but I actually saw him myself yesterday. (JJ)

Rajon Henley's visit to TCU last weekend got the attention of OSU recruiting fans. It's a situation worth watching, but it appears the real threat is further west.

Apparently, Mike Leach and the Texas Tech Red Raiders have put a full-court press on Henley in an effort to swing his commitment late in the game.

The OSU coaches are fully aware of Tech's moves and Vance Bedford was in Galveston yesterday. (JJ)

So, what's the scoop on Anthony Jones?

Here's what I've been able to find out. First the feeling among Rivals.com's recruiting experts is that Jones is a solid prospect, but his preseason rank among Florida players was too high. Beyond that, he may have lower end four-star talent, but looks to be a very long shot to qualify. That affects his ranking.

It also may explain OSU's late interest. The Cowboys likely don't have room for a player like Jones as a qualifier, but it doesn't hurt at all for a sign-and-place guy.

It appears the Dallas Morning News' report that Jones has committed to OSU may have some validity. (JJ)

I don't see much of a reason to do the recruiting crystal ball this week. Two of the players out there have already been discussed in this Roundup. Beyond Johnson and Jones, Antwaun Harris might still be a possibility. Mon Williams may too. Other than those, there could be a player or two committed elsewhere the Cowboys might try to cherrypick on signing day. (JJ)

We’ll get right to it.

I know I am preaching to the choir here but landing Ugo Chinasa was absolutely huge for the Cowboys in more ways than one.

First, is obviously because he’s a stud and along with Derek Burton will provide the bookends for the future defensive line. OSU fans have seen what a healthy Nathan Peterson can do and these two are just as good if not better coming out of high school.

Second, it would have been a tough pill to swallow had we lost him to Baylor. They made a very, very hard push to get him as was illustrated by his recruiting coach being in his coach’s office when he showed up to school. That makes it even more impressive that he was able to tell him no thanks to his face.

In the end, he tops off a stellar class that should serve as a solid foundation on which Gundy can build upon. (JF)

When speaking to former BYU wide receiver Antwaun Harris, it is pretty evident that he holds OSU in high regard.

His cousin Terrell Harris is on the basketball team and his mother has several friends that live in Stillwater. He gave every indication that he would like to be at OSU at some point but he has some grade issues to take care of, which is ultimately why he didn’t transfer in the first place.

“I don’t know at this time, I really can’t say. Right now I’m just trying to finish these grades. I need to get that stuff handled and then I can go from there,” he said.

Harris is in an interesting situation in that first, the school he is at does not have a football team.

“No sir they don’t have a football team. I have an athletic trainer. My trainer is my cousin J.J. Johnson who runs professional track. He recently retired but he’s coming back out of retirement right now,” he said.

Second, he does not have to sign on signing day and will wait do decide where he goes in the summer. I’m not sure how the scholarship situation would work in that instance but it will be interesting to watch this play out.

“Oh, I still have time. I’m just trying to get these grades situated and then we can go from there,” he said.

The other school competing with Oklahoma State is Oregon. I’m not sure where the Ducks fit in the picture and he may very well end up there but I think if he wanted to go there that he would at least say so, grade issues or not.

“Both schools are coming after me pretty hard, but Oklahoma State has just always been there ever since last year. I couldn’t get in last year, but they’ve still been on me pretty hard,” he said. (RC)

There really isn’t a whole lot to report on the Orie lemon front. We talked to him and he sounds like he is ready to sign and get this thing over with.

I read a post where somebody commented on how they like Lemon’s demeanor in handling the recruiting process and I couldn’t agree more. He handles himself very well and is very polite. He doesn’t talk a whole lot but he appears to be one of those that opens up to people he is comfortable with.

The reason I believe he felt the most comfortable in choosing OSU is obviously the fact that they are willing to let him try quarterback. I am sure he is aware that he will really have to impress to stay there but there is something to be said for the fact that the coaches were honest with him and are willing to at least let him give it a try. (JF)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News