ADVERTISEMENT

"I've got no strategy"

I would rather see drones in the air than boots on the ground taking the fight to groups like ISIS... we have the technological advantage if not the will to use it.

You don't need a Nuke. You just need a well placed HellFire. OK maybe 100 HellFires... but you get the point.

if defeating them is the goal it will never happen from the air alone....At this point you defend every corner of Kurdistan and let the rest figure it out or perish. The problem with letting these nuts run around unabated is they will eventually find their way across one of our borders and 1,000's of Americans will suffer as a result.

The message as presently being delivered by the smartest president ever is a 100% victory lap for the radicals of the peaceful religion and there is virtually no way a coalition can be gathered by such detachment.

That is what I am trying to tell you. We do not have the technological capability to do all of this completely from the air...yet. If you want to limit civilian casualties and make sure that you are hitting the right targets you need to have human eyeballs on the target.

Originally posted by Tulsaaggieson:

I do understand that provocations are intended to elicit a military response. That however is not the entire story is it. They are thumbing their noses at the US, because they don't think we will respond with anything that is effective. It's like a bully, they are trying to taunt you into a fight they don't actually want or fully understand.
This makes absolutely no sense. So your strategy is to give them exactly what they want? You are exactly right, they don't think we will respond with anything effective, and by that they think our response will be boots on the ground. I swear for some people geopolitics is really a dick measuring contest by national proxy. You are playing checker and they are playing chess. If you are trying to establish a caliphate in the middle east, but are having a rough go of it because you are surrounded by other Muslim's that have US air support who oppose you, what is your best strategy? Get the US to invade the middle east to rally support, beat the US in a war of attrition and which will shut off the air support and demoralize those who oppose you.

This is just like how bin Laden rope a doped us into waging enormous costly wars in the region. We are still reaping what we sowed.

Now this is where you lack understanding of what ISIS is and has. They do have the capability to wage war over a very large area to include a global threat. Not all of it is conventional. Their threat to the US is primarily non-conventional but like I have stated, any harm to US citizenry at this point is considered a victory to them.

Now to effectively counter their operations in Iraq and Syria, you will need to still place boots on the ground. Imbedding our troops with Kurdish and Iraqi forces will limit your "targets of opportunity". Lets not forget that these men and women signed up for this, and this is exactly what they want to do. The reason you want to do this to provide eyes on target for Air Forces to be able to effectively drop metal on flesh.
Literally, every group/state/organization has the capability to commit terrorism globally. How can a military prevent terrorism? It never has and it never will. Fortunately IS has actual geopolitical goals, which is to establish a caliphate. This is an incredible development. How do you deter a suicide bomber? You can't. How do you deter a caliphate? threaten to destroy the caliphate. This is Al Qaeda showing its cards trying to play geopolitics with the big boys. They have gone from a shadow organization that wears no uniform and has only irrational goals to a uniformed quasi state that has rational goals. The former we suck at containing, the latter is kind of our wheelhouse. The last thing you want to do is turn these people from soldiers to terrorists.

You do understand that the enemies terms for a fight would be to fight us here in the US and Europe? Fighting ISIS in their territory is exactly how you fight them. If you defend territory (Vietnam) you will get no where, and bleed troops. If you fight on your terms you would be fighting exactly how we fought Vietnam, and the end would be the same.
What is their goal in the US and Europe? They are currently fighting in the middle east. I prefer to allow IS to be at war with Syria, Iraq, Kurdistan, Iran, and hopefully KSA soon than the US. This is precisely our terms. The US should provide just enough air support to ensure that these conflicts continue indefinitely leaving the region in balance and showing everyone the wages of fundamentalism. You would rather have another botched intervention, push these people back to terrorism, open up yet another power vacuum, and put on full display the amoral dystopia that is modernism.

Now your modernism vs fundamentalism idea can be debated, but I don't think we are going to disagree much. The disagreement we are having is how to fight a 30 year war. It is my opinion you take the fight to the enemy, but I'm more in line with General Sherman's idea of how you win this, and until you take up his tactics to win this it will draw out. Our current President doesn't have the ability to understand that, or the ability to implement it.
General Sherman played chess not checkers and probably considered the enemy's motivations and goals as well as the possible consequences before making his march to the sea. Trust me, he had more strategies than "Hulk Smash." We listened to fearmongers and warmongers like you in the early 2000s and things didnt' work out. Besides if you were president we would be knee deep in WW3 with Russia (OMG they have a submarine!) and we wouldn't have any boots on the ground to spare for ISIS.

So the person who thinks that the Navy's aircraft carrier is capable of operating at the North pole is going to try to lecture me on the difference between checkers and chess? Tell you what, when you get done "measuring your dick" and want to talk rationally about ISIS I will, till then stick to your numbers.

So the person who thinks that the Navy's aircraft carrier is capable of operating at the North pole is going to try to lecture me on the difference between checkers and chess? Tell you what, when you get done "measuring your dick" and want to talk rationally about ISIS I will, till then stick to your numbers.
I guess completely making something up is a great excuse for not engaging in a discussion about ISIS beyond "the bully is taunting lets beat him up."

Feel free to quote me next time on the aircraft carrier BS. To make it easier on you I'll link the thread.

No real surprise that the war cheerleader has no qualms making things up.

I'll engage in a discussion about ISIS with you when you can show you are capable of engaging in a rational conversation.

I'll engage in a discussion about ISIS with you when you can show you are capable of engaging in a rational conversation.
Does rational include inventing beliefs for you out of thin air and then citing them as a reason not to address your points?

If so:

Why would I listen to Tulsaaggieson? He thinks Syria is in Europe.

You'll have to excuse me if I am not the most civil person in the world when it comes to dealing with warmongers. Maybe its because I believe warmongers to be the least civil people in the world.

When a person starts in with " I can't be rational with you because you're a warmonger". It's a sure sign they're full of crap.

This post was edited on 9/6 6:08 AM by Marshal Jim Duncan

Let me know when that happens and I'll remove the "ignore".
roll.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Marshal Jim Duncan:
When a person starts in with " I can't be rational with you because you're a warmonger". It's a sure sign they're full of crap.

This post was edited on 9/6 6:08 AM by Marshal Jim Duncan
There is an entire post full of rational reasons why Tulsaaggieson's position on ISIS is wrongheaded, but he chose to ignore it based on lies he has fabricated about me.

There is a huge difference between rational and civil. It is not civil to call some one a warmonger. It is not civil to say someone's entire foreign policy out look is based on a dick measuring contest by proxy. It is not civil to say that if they were in charge we would already be involved in WW3 because they are going chicken little over a new submarine. I reserve civility for people who aren't flippant about sending my sons to war.

I'm not a good judge of what others call civil but I do know when someone debates with the maturity level of a junior high school kid.

Childish name calling and analysis like "dick measuring context by proxy" don't further your argument but I'm not sure you're not more interested then stiring things up than having a mature debate.

Is immature name calling in the liberal handbook? It's seems to get used a lot by our more progressive posters.

There must be a passage in there that says "get them off balance with childish name calling". It doesn't work but pilt and syster seem to use that has their go to move.

Thats hilarious.
I have clearly monopolized childishness on this board by calling someone a warmonger and accurately describing their stated motivation. Sometimes you have to call a spade a spade.

How is your research coming along?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT