ADVERTISEMENT

It's Bedlam Week!!!

Dustin Plott gets the first win and he actually recognized that bonus points could be important. G had a nice win but didn't seem wise enough to really go for bonus points. Now we need Wittlake to win.
Wittlake wins a match that should not have been this hard, but he does win with a takedown in overtime. Then the match of the year so far Surber pins ex-cowboy Keegan Moore who loved beating Geer last year for the win over Oklahoma. Good comeback but this match was much tougher than it should be. I do not think much good about this wrestling team after the last 2 duals.

I do not think much good about this wrestling team after the last 2 duals.
IDK: Its December, no point in peaking in December. This is a young team, I think everyone wrestled tough and should have learned something except Mastro. Disappointed in Mastro. This will not be a world beater team, let's enjoy watching them grow and improve.

IDK: Its December, no point in peaking in December. This is a young team, I think everyone wrestled tough and should have learned something except Mastro. Disappointed in Mastro. This will not be a world beater team, let's enjoy watching them grow and improve.
This is a good perspective and John has said as much. They're going to take lots of lumps this season and the hope is that they're ready for March.

Wrestling tough is a perspective too. I think a few of our guys wrestled tough. A few others wrestled tough enough to get a win, but still not at the level we like to see as fans. And a few others are just baffling to me with hardly any offense - setups, level changes, misdirection, fakes, hardly anything. Vic for example, we know he can score takedowns but he chose to tie up with that guy over and over. But at least he's shown offense in other matches. Wittlake/Sheets/Mastro just might not have the ability to add any more tricks to their arsenal, and hopefully Doucet will end up doing more than waiting for rideouts.

It's weird, this is the first time I ever kind of hoped OSU would lose a dual - and to OU of all teams! Glad to get the win but my worry is that it's going to keep the spotlight from being shown on what we're doing as a program. The bean counters will see it as another win and the coaches can keep going on with business as usual when we fans feel that some obvious things need to change in order for OSU to get back to the podium. And *of course* we fans know what is best right :)

Like at what point do you start throwing somebody else out there at 125? Or look into the transfer portal for another option?

This is a good perspective and John has said as much. They're going to take lots of lumps this season and the hope is that they're ready for March.

Wrestling tough is a perspective too. I think a few of our guys wrestled tough. A few others wrestled tough enough to get a win, but still not at the level we like to see as fans. And a few others are just baffling to me with hardly any offense - setups, level changes, misdirection, fakes, hardly anything. Vic for example, we know he can score takedowns but he chose to tie up with that guy over and over. But at least he's shown offense in other matches. Wittlake/Sheets/Mastro just might not have the ability to add any more tricks to their arsenal, and hopefully Doucet will end up doing more than waiting for rideouts.
Think V should now know how to take him down, Moore is tough not going to get a td without a good setup, V was there on that last one but he left his right foot in too tight giving Moore an opportunity to grab it.

Sheets idk I like him at 165, he should've learned against that kid take the stalemate don't fight hips and scramble. But yeah we've seen the give up 2 early takedowns before. But I think he looks better at 165.

Wittlake to me looks like he is wrestling better like 2+ years ago but don't know how he is going to beat the big 84s.

To me Young is better but somewhat same thing as last year, he needs to find a mean streak and finish quicker.

Reactions: bwel9339
Meet couldve easily been 33 to 3 but I think we learned more this way.

Wonder when Micco will be along to explain how he went so wrong. ;)

Think V should now know how to take him down, Moore is tough not going to get a td without a good setup, V was there on that last one but he left his right foot in too tight giving Moore an opportunity to grab it.

Sheets idk I like him at 165, he should've learned against that kid take the stalemate don't fight hips and scramble. But yeah we've seen the give up 2 early takedowns before. But I think he looks better at 165.

Wittlake to me looks like he is wrestling better like 2+ years ago but don't know how he is going to beat the big 84s.

To me Young is better but somewhat same thing as last year, he needs to find a mean streak and finish quicker.
It is interesting how with these guys moving weights, it almost is like starting over. They’re not new to college wrestling but moving weights presents new challenges and they have to relearn some things.

Terrible wrestling again by too many starters. Even Wittlake shouldn’t have won but got lucky with that last sec stall call to tie the match up. I thought Vic showed a lot, but he’s got to learn to finish just like Carter. The major major disappointment is Mastro. I said it last week and I’ll say it again. I’m sick and tired of watching him “wrestle” No effort, no offense, no urgency. I want him gone. We need a transfer.

Reactions: bwel9339
Terrible wrestling again by too many starters. Even Wittlake shouldn’t have won but got lucky with that last sec stall call to tie the match up. I thought Vic showed a lot, but he’s got to learn to finish just like Carter. The major major disappointment is Mastro. I said it last week and I’ll say it again. I’m sick and tired of watching him “wrestle” No effort, no offense, no urgency. I want him gone. We need a transfer.
Voinovich had 3 or for takedown opportunities but appeared to be afraid of his opponents strength and seemed to bail as soon as he felt the strength. Not going to win matches that way.

I'm in total shock OU didn't win 42-0!!!!!

In all honesty, I told oberebo either OSU would win 26-9 and win all the toss-ups, or OU would win in a squeaker like 18-16. I was so close. Congrats to Surber for one of the most exciting Bedlam memories ever. Not as good as Kaid beating Brewer, but probably more impactful.

I will say this...OU looked like the aggressors today. Except in Daton and Dustin's matches, I felt like OU outshot most of the other matches. I like to see that.

And if we can get Buchanon in for next semester and pull Keegan down to 184...it may be our strongest team in awhile.

The refs...some head scratching calls and no calls, but I don't think they cost anyone a match. Someone's going to have to explain to me the rule on stalling. I thought I knew it, but apparently, I don't. But the good thing is they called the match about the same way throughout the matches. John was beside himself so many times to count.

Great job by OSU in not giving up. I thought OU won most of the toss-up matches, and OSU won the matches they were supposed to win (Daton, Kaden, and Dustin).

Look forward to seeing you guys in February in GIA.

At least he’s good on bottom.

Reactions: Okie_Pat
Watched this last night, you can tell Coach is frustrated with the lack of attacking mindsets....Just looking for a counter and that's it.

Fix, Young, Voinovich, and maybe Plott are the only ones who actually look to be on the attack.

Glad he sees Mastro continuing to suck and calling it the way he sees it and not some "we have to keep working" type shit...If I was Coach, I'd put Fix on top of Mastro for hours and ask him to get out from bottom.

Good win but good grief, we should've blown them out with ANY level of aggression.

Reactions: bwel9339 and JAY45
Watching that interview you can very clearly see the frustration in John. Reading through the comments after the Minny and bedlam duals you can also very clearly see the frustration in the fans as well. I can only speak for myself, but the frustration for me is with the lack of effort and inconsistency I have seen with several of our guys these last 2 weeks. It's just something I cannot figure out and don't have any reasoning for.

You have a guy like Carter who last week probably wrestled his best match I've seen from him so far against a highly ranked and strong 141 pounder. This week Carter didn't let that energy he had carry over and lost to someone that I believe he his better than. He has a problem with digging himself in a hole early and doesn't have enough clock left to get out. We also have guys like Sheets, Mastro and Doucet who are simply just not wrestling with the effort it takes to win matches. Last year Sheets allowed way too many guys get to his legs and it looks like he's doing the same thing this year. Physically he looks fine at 165, but maybe the adjustment will take longer than expected. I cant explain Masto other than maybe he's just not as good as we thought he would be. I think Doucet needs a little more time. Wittlake has the power and speed to compete at 184, but just looks timid with using his speed to his advantage on his feet. I haven't seen one ankle pick from him which was something he was able to do at will at 165 against lesser opponents.

I am happy we won the dual and proud of the fight that some of our middle weights showed on the back half with Gfeller, Plott and Surber. But it makes the win hard to enjoy knowing that this team has so many inconsistences at several weights. I thought OU wrestled hard and probably has the strongest lineup they've had in a while.

I thought OU wrestled hard and probably has the strongest lineup they've had in a while.
UTN use to be a top 5 program. They are unranked. An OSU wrestling program on top of its game smokes those jokers like 33-3. Seeing moral victories in beating a horrible team is how far OSU has fallen from its once lofty perch.

Last edited:
UTN use to be a top 5 program. They are unranked. An OSU wrestling program on top of its game smokes those jokers like 33-3. Seeing moral victories in beating a horrible team is how OSU has fallen from its once lofty perch.
Not a moral victory for me even though that's about all it was. No reason to celebrate this win, but I would rather win than lose no matter how ugly of a win it might be or be against.

If OU put Buchanan at 197 and Moore at 184, they'd have 7 transfers in the lineup.

They've had a lot of trouble developing their own recruits. Demas in 2019 & Woodley in 2021 are the only 2 AAs under Rosselli so far. They landed the highest ranked recruits in the country at 152 and 195 in 2021 (Herrera-Rondon & Picklo) and neither has cracked the starting lineup. It's no surprise they've turned to the transfer portal.

john. They're TIRED.

If OU put Buchanan at 197 and Moore at 184, they'd have 7 transfers in the lineup.

They've had a lot of trouble developing their own recruits. Demas in 2019 & Woodley in 2021 are the only 2 AAs under Rosselli so far. They landed the highest ranked recruits in the country at 152 and 195 in 2021 (Herrera-Rondon & Picklo) and neither has cracked the starting lineup. It's no surprise they've turned to the transfer portal.

I don't understand not being able to develop Herrera-Rondon. Built for d1 wrestling.

Terrible wrestling again by too many starters.
Wittlake, Sheets, and Mastro all seem a bit slow. Sheets especially. He's just a few beats behind many of his opponents. Carter and Vic and Surber seem to have good shots and good wrestling IQ as long as they can light that fire consistently and don't get caught up in their opponent's games. Great to see Plott continuing to shine and Daton doing Daton things.
I will say this...OU looked like the aggressors today. Except in Daton and Dustin's matches, I felt like OU outshot most of the other matches. I like to see that.
Absolutely they did. Our guys were asleep compared to y'alls. I wonder what it will take to get our guys to be fired up like yours were yesterday.

john. They're TIRED.

I don't understand not being able to develop Herrera-Rondon. Built for d1 wrestling.
Herrera-Rondon beat Voinovich and had multiple wins over Rocco Welsh. Maybe Rosselli is better with freestyle development than folkstyle. He was the head coach of Ohio St's RTC when Stieber, Snyder & Dlagnev were there. That's really what got him the OU job.

Reactions: vhsalum
The question I have for OU is…what will we do with this from here? I mean, it’s a loss but it’s the best we’ve looked in quite awhile.

The last two Big 12 conference tournaments we’ve looked good, but then absolutely crap the bed at the NCAAs. No momentum.

I’d like to see OU use this as a springboard. Not be the highlight of the year.

Watching that interview you can very clearly see the frustration in John. Reading through the comments after the Minny and bedlam duals you can also very clearly see the frustration in the fans as well. I can only speak for myself, but the frustration for me is with the lack of effort and inconsistency I have seen with several of our guys these last 2 weeks. It's just something I cannot figure out and don't have any reasoning for.

You have a guy like Carter who last week probably wrestled his best match I've seen from him so far against a highly ranked and strong 141 pounder. This week Carter didn't let that energy he had carry over and lost to someone that I believe he his better than. He has a problem with digging himself in a hole early and doesn't have enough clock left to get out. We also have guys like Sheets, Mastro and Doucet who are simply just not wrestling with the effort it takes to win matches. Last year Sheets allowed way too many guys get to his legs and it looks like he's doing the same thing this year. Physically he looks fine at 165, but maybe the adjustment will take longer than expected. I cant explain Masto other than maybe he's just not as good as we thought he would be. I think Doucet needs a little more time. Wittlake has the power and speed to compete at 184, but just looks timid with using his speed to his advantage on his feet. I haven't seen one ankle pick from him which was something he was able to do at will at 165 against lesser opponents.

I am happy we won the dual and proud of the fight that some of our middle weights showed on the back half with Gfeller, Plott and Surber. But it makes the win hard to enjoy knowing that this team has so many inconsistences at several weights. I thought OU wrestled hard and probably has the strongest lineup they've had in a while.
Doing anything different would be a start - part of the problem with saying "John is our coach as long as he wants to be" is that we're approaching everything with a 1995 mindset. And it ain't 1995. I keep hearing about how there are too many Oklahoma kids starting for us to be successful. Who is responsible for that? Who is responsible when we apparently refuse to attack? It sucks, but at some point, we either have to make changes or live with being this bad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT