ADVERTISEMENT

Injured wrestlers vs Ohio St.

Orangebomber

All-Big12
May 29, 2001
Looking for thoughts on three matches from some that is more knowledgeable. Alex Dieringer vs Bo Jordan, Moisey vs Tomasello, and Port vs Steiber were the only three matches I watched where a wrestler yelled in pain. Normal events or something trending with Ohio St. It did seem they used the sprial leg more than anyone else. The Tomasello event looked like he made a dangerous move and gained an advantage with the injury time out.

I never heard. Bo was wrapped around his leg and he yelled out. The camera later focused on Alex's hand but I don't know what was hurt.

Looks like one of Bo's signature moves from top is to put in the spladle (sp?) that forces his opponent's legs into a Chinese split, which most folks aren't comfortable in that position to say the least. I saw one other guy yell out in the exact same situation and position (start of period w/Bo on top working the spladle) during the Saturday morning round. That time it worked and he got backpoints off of it, which I bet happens often (haven't watched him this year other than those 2 matches).

I think the other 2 leg injuries were flukes. It didn't seem to be a consistent thing with Ohio St throughout the tournament that I could tell.

ETA that was just looking at TheMat forums and they have a thread on Bo's move hurting people. Click linky below.

Ok, it's not letting me edit to add the link, so click or copy & paste:

http://board.themat.com/index.php?/topic/9339-bos-bananas-are-gonna-split-somebody/

This post was edited on 3/22 3:43 PM by AZ poke

I believe it was a slight groin pull. The LiveSports radio announcers called it a banana split and Bo injured at least two wrestlers with it in this tourney. Those of you who saw Mike Sheets wrestle may remember that the banana split was one of his favorite moves. I don't remember him ever hurting anyone with it, though. Well, hurting anything but their pride, that is.

Alex chose neutral I believe in 2nd. His only comment after match was that he knew he (Bo) was very good on top.

Originally posted by Stillhouston:

Alex chose neutral I believe in 2nd. His only comment after match was that he knew he (Bo) was very good on top.
Bo chose neutral to start the second because Alex wore him out in the first. Alex chose down to start the 3rd

Maybe I am wrong but my recollection was Alex had him down in the first period wearing him out. And Bo didn't want to go underneath. Can you choose top? I thought you only choices were bottom or neutral?

The announcers did say several times that Bo chose neutral. Actually, he had second period choice and deferred. Alex chose neutral. I wasn't paying attention to their actions for the third period but Bo had to have chose top to start the period and did again after the injury time.

I can 100%, with all the confidence in the world, tell you that Bo Jordan did not select top two times.

Each wrestler gets to select top, bottom, or neutral one time and exactly one time in a match. The wrestler that wins the disc flip, at the end of the first period, can choose to defer his selection to the start of the 3rd period if he chooses.

BTW, I though Alex gave him way too much respect.

I watched the match again last night and the announcers were confusing. Jordan won the 2nd period flip. They started neutral and the announcers said Jordan chose neutral. Apparently he deferred. At the start of the 3rd period I noticed Alex looked to the corner and then get down on mat so I assumed it was his choice. However, on the screen the video clearly showed it was "red's" choice which would confirm Jordan chose neutral for the 2nd period.

When it was mentioned Jordan chose top two times I think he was referring to the beginning of the 3rd and after the injury time. The non-injured wrestler gets to choose the restart and Jordan chose top again.

From where I sat, in the OSU section at Scottrade, I was certain that the ref looked at Alex and he pointed both hands up (neutral). It made me think of Asscream choosing neutral against Mason. All I noticed in the third was that Alex ended up on bottom, I didn't see any signal from either wrestler, I just assumed Jordan chose top. I believe his choosing top is backed up by the fact that when Alex showed he was slightly hurt but ready to proceed (without and injury timeout) John had him take the timeout because he wasn't worried that Jordan would want to take down to try for another point on the escape, which he did not do.

As has been stated.

Bojo deferred in the second. Alex chose neutral.

Bojo elected top in third. When Alex asked for injury time, and Jordan had his choice of positions, he again chose top.

I do think there is something to Jordan hurting people. I hope it's evaluated before next season.

Ohio state is going to be really good next year. Hard to imagine a team with so many stud true freshman and redshirt freshman. They have some kids red shirting right now that are studs as well. Snyder, a freshman, looks like a 30 year old man. Was really happy to see Gadson stick him.

"I just want some ice cream"
Posted from Rivals Mobile

We discussed this during the match and we agreed with cowguy Jordan deferred and Alex chose neutral in the 2nd period then Jordan chose top in the third and top after the injury time out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT