ADVERTISEMENT

Individual points

Inky29

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jun 2, 2001
Does anyone have a breakdown of the individual points from this years tournament. Normally I have that information but forgot. I can go back and add it all up but I'd love to avoid all that work.

Spratley - 2
Fix - 17.5
Jamison - 0
Williams - 3.0
TT - 1.5
Olejnik - 10
Thompson - 0
Plott - 20.5
Surber - 0
Doucet - 1.5
It is very clear by looking at these points, your lineup has to be filled with All Americans to compete for a team trophy. Sprately was 1 match away from AA and still only scored 2 points. Based on this, any roster spot who doesn't have someone who has a good chance to AA needs a good long look - that is if the goal for the team is to compete at the highest level.

It is very clear by looking at these points, your lineup has to be filled with All Americans to compete for a team trophy. Sprately was 1 match away from AA and still only scored 2 points. Based on this, any roster spot who doesn't have someone who has a good chance to AA needs a good long look - that is if the goal for the team is to compete at the highest level.
Our 3 All Americans scored 48 points, our other 7 athletes scored 8 points. That says it all.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
Actually, if we just started punching 8-10 Wrestlers through to the quarters, there is 16 to 20 points right there.

Punch 3-4 through to the semis and you are at 20-24 by simple advancement. Plus guaranteed placement points of 18-24.

Punch 1-2 through to the Finals that's another 1-2 points and guaranteed placement points of 12-24.

Just with that the team is sitting at 50 to 72 points.

Then if you can get 3 of the guys that fell in the quarters to get only one win your team score ends up at 60.5 in worst case scenario.

That is all with no bonus and worst possible placement for the advancement. You know you are going to get 4-5 majors and 1-2 techs, which is another 5.5 to 8 points.

In that scenario alone, we would've finished in 6th. That's 6 AA's in the lowest form.

Say you have those three get 4th and 6th and 8th with the bonus # above the team score jumps to no less than 76 points with a runner-up team trophy.

The key is punching guys into the quarters for a team trophy. Spratley should've AA'd from the quarters and I believe that TT and Williams ran out of gas and they would've AA'd had they made the quarters depending on the draw due to an upset.

Reactions: gyppoke
Cornell with 9 qualifiers, had 3 all Americans and one kid go 0-2, they placed second. It might take more than all Americans.

Conversely Nebraska had 5 all Americans and finished one place ahead of OSU

Cornell with 9 qualifiers, had 3 all Americans and one kid go 0-2, they placed second. It might take more than all Americans.

Conversely Nebraska had 5 all Americans and finished one place ahead of OSU
I'll be more specific. With the way the team scoring works, a high placing team gets the vast majority of its points from placement points (All Americans) and bonus points (dominant wins). A normal win is only worth 1 point on the top side or half a point on the back side. So a wrestler just winning a couple matches at the tournament does virtually nothing for the team points unless they are very dominant wins. Cornell had the same number of all americans as us but they had a lot of dominant wins. So getting only low placing AA's and no bonus points doesn't cut it. Cornell had high placing AA's with lots of bonus points. We only had one guy on the team with a lot of bonus points - Plott.

I'll be more specific. With the way the team scoring works, a high placing team gets the vast majority of its points from placement points (All Americans) and bonus points (dominant wins). A normal win is only worth 1 point on the top side or half a point on the back side. So a wrestler just winning a couple matches at the tournament does virtually nothing for the team points unless they are very dominant wins. Cornell had the same number of all americans as us but they had a lot of dominant wins. So getting only low placing AA's and no bonus points doesn't cut it. Cornell had high placing AA's with lots of bonus points. We only had one guy on the team with a lot of bonus points - Plott.
There is more than one way to screw a cat, and all of them are painful.

I think it is easier to count on more top side advancement points combined with placement points to generate more points. Conversely, if you had 10 guys place 8th you'd have 10 AA's and could possibly still finish on the bottom side of the top 10.

Bonus points are hard to come by though. Getting a hammer like Hendrickson would be great for that aspect though.

Reactions: gyppoke
There is more than one way to screw a cat, and all of them are painful.

I think it is easier to count on more top side advancement points combined with placement points to generate more points. Conversely, if you had 10 guys place 8th you'd have 10 AA's and could possibly still finish on the bottom side of the top 10.

Bonus points are hard to come by though. Getting a hammer like Hendrickson would be great for that aspect though.
I agree there is - to get second place. To get first place now there is pretty much only one way - need about 5 Champs, 7 All Americans and gobs of bonus points.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT