ADVERTISEMENT

I never post about Issues…this has me pissed off

Is that why the Obama administration strong-armed money center banks into not doing business with gun and ammunition manufacturers?
Can you point out how that led to people getting their doors kicked in and having all their weapons confiscated?

I’m just saying, that’s the level of hyperbole you hear coming from the NRA and their ilk. It’s silly. Always has been.

Will your proposal be in line with the 2nd amendment?
Will your proposal be effective?
Will your proposal preserve due process?

So far only JD has provided an answer that would meet all 3 qualifications and I think everyone ITT would be on board with that.

Pretty much every other proposal fails in at least one of those tests.

So far only JD has provided an answer that would meet all 3 qualifications and I think everyone ITT would be on board with that.

I don’t pretend to have all the answers. I liked JD’s idea too. I’m also in favor of red flag laws, but I know those aren’t popular.

Reactions: CowboyJD
Of course a pistol round can penetrate a human body. We’re not debating that. I’ve seen it up close.

I took his point to mean a less powerful round. “Caliber” wasn’t the correct term in that case, but I understood where he was coming from.
My mind reading skills are not as refined as yours apparently. Glad you know what he meant and not what he wrote.

• Haha
Reactions: BiloxiPoke
I don’t pretend to have all the answers. I liked JD’s idea too. I’m also in favor of red flag laws, but I know those aren’t popular.
Red flag laws, if properly constrained would fall under a similar umbrella as JD's proposal. Similar to VPOs. It's just that the devil is in the details. Most proposals are rife with potential abuse. Much like civil forfeiture laws.

The NRA has spent a lot of money to convince you this is true. It is fiction. Fear is a powerful tool, as you’ve said. I think what scares gun manufacturers (and the politicians they back) the most is the thought of the “liberal gun grab” boogey man myth dying out.
Im not a fan of the NRA. I gave up my membership years ago.

I mentioned it in my earlier post. Let's say for the sake of argument you can snap your fingers and get rid of every rifle you consider a weapon of war. What's next if psychos continue to target schools and other soft targets using a semi auto pistol? Do you say OK we tried but semi autos are off the table, or do you continue to focus on the tools the killers are using?

That's the slippery slope gun owners are worried about.

Making business the bad guy is so dumb. They followed the laws on the books and didn’t make an illegal sale but let’s allow them to be punished and potentially put out of business because some psycho misused the product. it’s the same stupid shit the idiots in states like New York are trying to do with energy companies.
He did not misuse the product. The AR15 was intended to kill as many people as possible in the shortest amount of time. That was the reason for its design. That being said, I do not believe Gun manufacturers should be held accountable unless their advertising suggests, implies or encourages violent use of its products.

He did not misuse the product. The AR15 was intended to kill as many people as possible in the shortest amount of time. That was the reason for its design. That being said, I do not believe Gun manufacturers should be held accountable unless their advertising suggests, implies or encourages violent use of its products.
Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

Reactions: CoastGuardCowboy
Meanwhile, open border policy causing massive death...how many of these people were young adults and children? Where is the outrage from the anti-gun mob?

Overall, drug overdose deaths rose from 2019 to 2021 with more than 106,000 drug overdose deaths reported in 2021. Deaths involving synthetic opioids other than methadone (primarily fentanyl) continued to rise with 70,601 overdose deaths reported in 2021.Feb 9, 2023

The Sinaloa Cartel is one of the most powerful drug cartels in the world and is largely responsible for the manufacturing and importing of fentanyl for distribution in the United States. Fentanyl is a dangerous synthetic opioid that is more than 50 times more potent than heroin.Apr 14, 2023
The border issue is caused by the republicans. They hire the illegals and then complain they come here. Stop hiring them and they will not come.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Armalite designed the weapon to gain the US military contract for a combat weapon. They won but could not afford to fulfill the contract and thus sold out to Colt. It IS a weapon for the killing of humans.
So it’s a gun lol

You have no idea what you are talking about. Armalite designed the weapon to gain the US military contract for a combat weapon. They won but could not afford to fulfill the contract and thus sold out to Colt. It IS a weapon for the killing of humans.
Lol
trigglypuff-sjw.gif

I don’t think you need to extrapolate anything since you can read the federalist papers and other documents that would belie your post.

“Make it more cumbersome to attain” does sound a lot like infringing to me.
Doesn’t stop obtaining them just slows unfettered access, gun show loopholes, and helps identify people who can’t be trusted with them like the suicidal, mentally ill, enemies of the state, felons and others where laws already ban their legal ownership.

Doesn’t stop obtaining them just slows unfettered access, gun show loopholes, and helps identify people who can’t be trusted with them like the suicidal, mentally ill, enemies of the state, felons and others where laws already ban their legal ownership.
Sounds a lot like poll taxes or literacy tests. It doesn't stop you from voting Just slows unfettered access. It helps identify people who can't be trusted with voting .

The tax stamp is a $200 tax to that is paid to the ATF when you want to make or purchase an already manufactured silencer or NFA firearm. You will use the ATF Form 1, ATF eForm 1, or ATF Form 4 to apply for your tax stamp.

The suppressor is affordable.
Suppressors are still pretty expensive for the materials and machining they actually require. And there is literally zero reason for them to be complicated to own. The absence of affordable and easily obtainable sound suppressors for hearing protection is a crime.

It absolutely isn't a reference to just automatic weapons. The decision in D.C. v. Heller didn't involve automatic weapons at all.

And to be clear, I'm not a guy that is advocating in any way for a ban of any type of particular weapon. To me, an AR is just a "scary looking" semi-automatic hunting rifle. Functionally nearly identical.

I am also not particularly advocating for any particular policy....except maybe constitutionally adequate emergency mental health seizure proceedings.

I'm just pointing out that "shall not be infringed" is not and never has been an absolute statement. In fact, none of our constitutional rights are absolute and without conditions or limiting definition.

Finally, as I've said before as long as the discussion surrounds "no infringement is constitutional" vs. "no infringement is unconstitutional if it saves lives", we're never going to get to a rational, reasonable discussion about what constitutional efforts are available to us and might work.
Thanks, appreciate the explanation. .
Background checks - as long as they are instantaneous, fine.
red flag laws - as long as they allow for due process, fine.
waiting periods - ineffectual and bad policy.
bump stock bans - okay fine. But it's ineffective as you can replicate the same affect with out a bump stock.
high capacity mags banned - also ineffective and bad policy.
any weapons defined as weapons of war by law enforcement banned - nonstarter.

The 2nd amendment wasn't limited to just firearms used for hunting. So, even if your above list isn't a 2nd amendment violation (debatable); then, hunting has no valid place in this conversation.

Here's the problem with focusing on firearms in this conversation. It addresses the last step in a long chain of causes and doesn't address the root of the issue. Fix the causes of the problem and the subsequent links in the chain fix themselves.
Totally agree with your last paragraph. Let’s focus on the killing games and social media our kids have access too. Also address the God awful rap music about killing. Start there and begin to change our culture. Not sure it will work, but it address the key issue.
I would like to point out that fully automatic weapons are perfectly legal, if not cheap. If you are legal to own a firearm, you are legal to own a machine gun.

You can also purchase “silencers”, grenade launchers, and other explosive devices. They ain’t cheap and the ammunition for the explosive devices is very difficult to buy and cost prohibitive. But if you want one and have the finances to afford one, you can own one.

I happen to have 2 suppressors.
Don’t you need a stamp or something to get a fully automatic? I believe it also requires an additional background check.
Suppressors are still pretty expensive for the materials and machining they actually require. And there is literally zero reason for them to be complicated to own. The absence of affordable and easily obtainable sound suppressors for hearing protection is a crime.
Totally agree. My son is technically deaf, but loves to shoot. In the process of getting his suppressor now. My understanding is he will need two different ones, one for .223 and different one for .22 when he switches out the bolt. Need to talk to you more about what you have found.

Thanks, but I think you are wrong with your "everyone ITT would be on board with that".

In fact, I'm pretty sure that far from everyone ITT would be on board with such proposals.

This has probably run its course as a Correl thread. I'm moving it to the politics board, but will leave a re-direct here on the Corral for a few days for those who want to continue the discussion but don't want to find it on pol boqrd.

Wonderful quote. What the hell does it have to do with mass shootings? For what it's worth, I agrre that those not willing to support themselves are a serious problem..

Mass killings/shootings is not a defined term. If you're considering below the definition, the vast majority of mass killings were via handguns. But, inner city violence is just an issue that we don't discuss. Poor people of color in the hood don't matter to our politicians.

The Gun Violence Archive, an online database of gun violence incidents in the U.S., defines mass shootings as incidents in which four or more people are shot, even if no one was killed (again excluding the shooters). Using this definition, 706 people died in these incidents in 2021.
Sooo, then it is Ok? I do not understand your point. What are you advocating, That it is not enough of a problem to be concerned about? Or that we need to put more emphasis on hand gun violence, or that unless 4 people are shot it is of no importance? I think we should be concerned with all gun violence. And I am a gun owner and avid hunter. Always will be. The BS about taking our guns away is just fear mongering for profit by the right.

Sooo, then it is Ok? I do not understand your point. What are you advocating, That it is not enough of a problem to be concerned about? Or that we need to put more emphasis on hand gun violence, or that unless 4 people are shot it is of no importance? I think we should be concerned with all gun violence. And I am a gun owner and avid hunter. Always will be. The BS about taking our guns away is just fear mongering for profit by the right.

I find it hilariously ironc that you mention fear mongering by "the right" when the "assault rifle" talk is leftist fear mongering bullshit in itself. The VAST majority of homicide in this country is black on black violence in inner cities, a demorgraphic you and your ilk pretend to care about. Wouldn't it make the most sense to reduce overall gun violence by I dunno, concentrating on the areas where the majority of it is happening? More police and violence intervention programs would be a start but no, we can't talk about black people slaughtering each other in inner cities. We gotta' focus on climate change, systemic racism, assault weapons, etc. Anything to keep our attention away from these democrat led war zones.

- Black Americans die from gun violence at 2.4 times the rate of White Americans

- Black Americans make up the majority of gun homicide victims in the US. In fact, 83% of all gun deaths among Black Americans are gun homicides.11 Despite the fact that Black boys and men account for just six percent of the total population, they comprise more than half of all gun homicide victims.12

- In the nation’s 20 largest counties, Black men ages 18 to 25 die from gun homicides at a rate nearly 19 times that of white residents.1 This disparity means that while five out of every 100,000 young white people in these counties die from gun homicides, more than one in every 10,000 young Black people are killed in such incidents.15

- Homicide has been the leading cause of death for Black men ages 15 to 44 for more than half a century.16 More than 86% of homicides in Black communities involve firearms.17 These disparities are even more striking for young Black men: gun homicides are the leading cause of death and more than outstrip the next 15 leading causes of death combined. In other words, in 2021, more Black men ages 15 to 24 died in gun homicides than from unintentional injuries, suicide, heart disease, COVID-19, cancer, nonfirearm homicides, diabetes, congenital abnormalities, and chronic respiratory diseases, police shootings, cerebrovascular diseases, anemias, sepsis, influenza and pneumonia, and HIV combined.19

- Seventy-three percent of gun deaths among Black children are gun homicides, and, in 2021, Black children were nearly 13 times more likely to be killed in a gun homicide than white children.21

Last edited:

Thanks, but I think you are wrong with your "everyone ITT would be on board with that".

In fact, I'm pretty sure that far from everyone ITT would be on board with such proposals.
Especially and conclusively now that the thread has been moved to the shit hole that is the politics board.

How bout them cowboys? Baseball looks to be clicking. I sure want Rob to prove me wrong. Oops wrong board I forgot this was a political platform.

I find it hilariously ironc that you mention fear mongering by "the right" when the "assault rifle" talk is leftist fear mongering bullshit in itself. The VAST majority of homicide in this country is black on black violence in inner cities, a demorgraphic you and your ilk pretend to care about. Wouldn't it make the most sense to reduce overall gun violence by I dunno, concentrating on the areas where the majority of it is happening? More police and violence intervention programs would be a start but no, we can't talk about black people slaughtering each other in inner cities. We gotta' focus on climate change, systemic racism, assault weapons, etc. Anything to keep our attention away from these democrat led war zones.

- Black Americans die from gun violence at 2.4 times the rate of White Americans

- Black Americans make up the majority of gun homicide victims in the US. In fact, 83% of all gun deaths among Black Americans are gun homicides.11 Despite the fact that Black boys and men account for just six percent of the total population, they comprise more than half of all gun homicide victims.12

- In the nation’s 20 largest counties, Black men ages 18 to 25 die from gun homicides at a rate nearly 19 times that of white residents.1 This disparity means that while five out of every 100,000 young white people in these counties die from gun homicides, more than one in every 10,000 young Black people are killed in such incidents.15

- Homicide has been the leading cause of death for Black men ages 15 to 44 for more than half a century.16 More than 86% of homicides in Black communities involve firearms.17 These disparities are even more striking for young Black men: gun homicides are the leading cause of death and more than outstrip the next 15 leading causes of death combined. In other words, in 2021, more Black men ages 15 to 24 died in gun homicides than from unintentional injuries, suicide, heart disease, COVID-19, cancer, nonfirearm homicides, diabetes, congenital abnormalities, and chronic respiratory diseases, police shootings, cerebrovascular diseases, anemias, sepsis, influenza and pneumonia, and HIV combined.19

- Seventy-three percent of gun deaths among Black children are gun homicides, and, in 2021, Black children were nearly 13 times more likely to be killed in a gun homicide than white children.21

But but Democrats care about the black community.

Sounds a lot like poll taxes or literacy tests. It doesn't stop you from voting Just slows unfettered access. It helps identify people who can't be trusted with voting .
Gaslighting much as if some people should not easily get guns because of mental illness, suicidal tendencies, threats to our country, or prior felony convictions?

Simply actions used by other nations to limit mass shootings and it has worked for them. We’re the outlier nation in terms of mass shootings because we refuse to do anything to try and reduce the carnage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT