ADVERTISEMENT

How would you improve our running attack?

Adman513

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Yukon
I didn't want to post this question in a different thread as I wanted to propose this as a single topic, but how would you go about trying to improve our running game?

To my nontrained eye (and from listening to various OSU podcasts), I guess our main approach is going with inside and outside zone, right? What about...
  • We've certainly seen some option runs, but I'd say that's run maybe once every couple of games. When we do, I don't believe we've tried it with anyone other than Dom. Why not try that with our speed guy in Nixon? And...why not try it more than ONCE in a blue moon? We could even run it as a fake and throw it to a CW inside receiver breaking away from a LB who may be reading run.
  • Are we equipped to be able to run GT counter at all?
  • I've seen a few pitches, but again--it seems they only go with Dom in those scenarios. Do we have the outside blocking reliably to make this a threat?
  • What about the ol' counter pitch that we used to run with Tatum back in the day (holy cow that was 20 #@&$!!% years ago!) with Nixon?
  • Delays - It seems Yurcich really tried this with Rudolph as our line was REALLY struggling, so our hope was that we could get something going with delayed handoffs--maybe try that a time or two? (probably not with Dom as it'll most likely rely on the back to make a guy miss initially).
What else could we do, or are we just stuck with Dom being a serviceable back and waiting on Gordon to "mature" in the role (which is hard to do until he gets more and more experience)?

Reactions: 77cowboy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News