ADVERTISEMENT

How Iman Oates is 'just scratching the surface' after winding path to Oklahoma State

OKSTATE1

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Edmond, Oklahoma

How Iman Oates is 'just scratching the surface' after winding path to Oklahoma State​

Jacob Unruh
Oklahoman

STILLWATER — Iman Oates had every reason to waver in his belief.

Basketball — his first love — was no longer his pathway to bigger things. Football was.

But then the COVID-19 pandemic struck the world as he wrapped up his junior year at Tulsa Edison High School.

He was an offensive lineman with Division I talent but with limited options for scholarship offers. A different path was best.

So, why not change things up? He needed to take a risk.

Assistant coach and former Oklahoma State defensive end Christian Littlehead had just the right idea. Oates should move to the defensive line.

His best friend Chris McClellan was already a budding star defensive lineman at Edison who was destined to play at Florida. Oates could be as well.

“He really brought the vision,” Oates said of Littlehead. “He helped me envision the path of what I could really be.”

What Oates could be is closer to reality this week.

Oates became the welcome surprise in OSU’s recruiting class, committing and signing his National Letter of Intent with the Cowboys on Wednesday after two strong years at Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College.

The 6-foot-3, 300-pound junior is one step closer to making his Power 5 dream a reality, even though the path was longer than he originally dreamed.

“I’m just scratching the surface, to be honest,” Oates said.

Oates has two years of eligibility remaining and will enroll in January. In nine games this fall at NEO, he amassed 40 tackles and three sacks. He had nine total tackles for loss in nine games.

He’s expected to help fill a need in the middle of the Cowboys’ defensive front, which is looking to replace key veterans Brendon Evers and Sione Asi.

“It’s hard for us to find 300-pounders and get them to be a part of our team,” OSU coach Mike Gundy said. “I think he’s going to make huge strides over the next eight months with (strength) coach (Rob) Glass — just the nutrition and development, the strength and conditioning he’ll get.”

Oates has already taken massive steps elsewhere.

As a two-sport star, he had strong footwork and hand placement.

But questions remained about his ability to change positions for one final year of high school. The transition went well under Littlehead’s guidance.

“He just took my game from another level in five months and formed me into a dominant defensive lineman,” Oates said.

The position change left little tape for college recruiters. But he was also unable to qualify academically for Division I football. He had Division II chances, but instead he opted to go to a junior college.

He was determined to make the most of the opportunity.

“I was ready for the challenge, man,” Oates said.

Oates used the two years to mature as a person and athlete. He learned from his mistakes.

And he grew into a force. He picked up 20 Division I scholarship offers, choosing the Cowboys due to comfort.

“I thought that one day it would be here as long as he just put one foot forward at a time and just kept working like I knew he could,” former Edison coach Tony Daniels said.

“I don’t think words can even describe how I feel for him right now. He has put in so much work and so much time.”

Oates now looks back on his junior-college path with wonder.

“It’s been a big help in my life,” Oates said.

He always believed he would find a spot at a Power 5 program. The journey made him stronger.

Now, Oates gets a chance to prove he belongs on the biggest stage.

“Hopefully, a lot of us missed on him in high school,” Gundy said with a smile.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News