ADVERTISEMENT

Gundy = Two Faced?

Do you think Mike Gundy talks out of both sides of his mouth when it benefits him?

• Yes, definitely!

Votes: 58 69.9%
  • Some

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • No

Votes: 16 19.3%

• Total voters

OSU_Sports_Nut

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2001
Tulsa
What are your thoughts? Please provide examples to back up your point.

1) Snowflake: A very sensitive person. Someone who is easily hurt or offended by the statements or actions of others. Gundy has used this term to describe "certain" players who are soft. Is the hypocritical? Do you think Gundy has become too soft, too complacent, too comfortable? Is Gundy really untouchable like he seems to act? Could this past week be a good example of the current arrogance and pridefulness of Gundy (when he lashed out against the Pistols Firing Blog writers when asked a very legitimate question after the team went 1-5 to finish the year)? Do you think Gundy too complacent when he keeps unproductive and below average coaches far too long? Has Gundy become too comfortable because guys like Mike Holder and Boone Pickens aren't around to hold Gundy accountable anymore?

2) Coaches Salary vs Player NIL Money: Gundy recruits players who "want" to play this game and "love" playing football for the "right reasons" and calls this the "Cowboy Way" or oSu culture. We all know Gundy doesn't want the "me me me" types of players who feel entitled. However, who has been acting more entitled, his players or Mike Gundy? Does Gundy come across to fans and the media that we should be happy that he chose us? Is it fair that Gundy thinks the media and fans should never question his decisions or motives? Well, let's talk about motives. Gundy has made it clear that he hates players leaving for the portal and coaches leaving for other jobs (i.e. for more money), but Gundy seemed perfectly happy negotiating a nice pay raise after last season (and currently makes $7M a year). Is this hypocritical? oSu fans know Jim Knowles and last year's defense was the catalyst for last seasons success. Did you know Gundy has already made over $30M over the last 6 years and is set to make $42M over the next 6 years? How is it any different for a player or assistant coach wanting a little more of the pie? Gundy may not realize this, but he is leading by example. Maybe we shouldn't be so surprised that players seem a little upset and we are hearing grumblings from players. How would you feel if your favorite coach (Jim Knowles) left for more money, then you see your head coach (who was already making $5M get a pay raise to $7M). Maybe you think to yourself, if Gundy really is about the team and "Cowboy Culture" maybe he would have negotiated part of his own salary to keep Knowles.

3) Don't Mess with People's Family: Is it hypocritical for Gundy to talk about messing with peoples families, then immediately threaten to revoke the press passes for the Pistols Firing Blog writers (which he has done previously)? Do those writers depend on covering oSu Sports to provide for their families? Is this hypocritical? Wouldn't Gundy be messing with their family by revoking their ability to cover oSu sports? Does this make Gundy an ass by his own words? Here is what Gundy said in the press conference.

"Well I might have to cut you out! I mean, don't be an ass! Really, I mean those people's lives. That's people families. Right? Don't mess with peoples family. Let's do this the right way. Are you with me on this? It's not fair to people's families, man. I'm not mad about the game, I just don't like ignorance."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News