ADVERTISEMENT

Gun for sale

chasepollard

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2005
I just bought a Browning Cynergy that I have been pondering on for quite awhile. Part of my decision came with trading in my A-bolt 7 mag.

I will be buying a .308 when I figure out exactly what I want.

If you guys could peg a price for me (gun store is giving me $700-$900) for my Browning A-bolt 7 mag with 3 boxes of Federal Premium ammo that the gun likes to eat. I bought 3 brands (hornady, supreme and Federal) high end ammo and sighted in the gun with each (I also have a laser bore sight in 7mag caseing.) Then I began grouping them and the Federals grouped waaaaay better. So I ordered 5 boxes of them.

Okay, I am offering my rifle to one of you guys. Browning A-bolt 7mag with a Leopold 3x9x50, 3 boxes of the Federal shells that it loves to shoot and the bore sight tool. If you want to make offers, I would listen but I mainly prefer money to help me pay for my new gun.

Thanks,

Chase

I meant to say trade offers, but left out the word trade. Anyhow, you guys that know your stuff, tell me how much this gun is worth as close as you can.

That gun store offer is pretty close on the top end. It would be hard to turn down for easy trade money

I would have to agree with DTS on this. I would have said for that rifle in good shape and one of Leupolds higher grade scopes, getting $750 -800 would have been pretty good.
I have a A-bolt and love it, but it isn't nearly as smooth as the Colt-Sauer rifle (they don't make anymore) I love.

$800 for the rifle
$600 for the scope
$180 worth of shells and bore sight.

I know it's used now, but 750-$800? I would hope the shells don't depreciate that bad! I was expecting $1g but maybe not? Thanks guys!

Chase, after looking again at GunBrokers online auction site, I think I may have underestimated your rigs worth a bit. Actually, I was really assuming one of the lower priced Leupold scopes, like a Rifleman or VX-1, estimating it about 300. The scopes value makes a big difference here. I also don't know how old the rifle is or it's condition, any model variation,etc. so I may have underestimated it further. The A-bolts go back quite a while now, and there is the II and III versions that vary in price. Mine is close to 16 yrs old and I paid about $540 for it if I remember right. I'd say that everything in excellent condition like you describe the estimate may go up to 900 or higher. Looking at the Gun Broker's auction site, prices are all over, from about 500 for a used A bolt in good condition to over $2000 for a premium set up. Coming up on hunting season, right now is the very best time to sell it for max price. (I just didn't factor in the shells/extras). I hope you can get the grand for it. Those are nice rifles, with good hunting accuracy.

Here is a good example of the range.... those these are not the final sale prices.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=501799513
to
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=502907956

Reactions: chasepollard
Thanks TCP, I have it for sale on faceyspace, but it hasn't had much action.

I bought it around 07, after rifle season. I paid $755 plus tax from the gun store...brand new. Paid a $585ish for the scope and had a pro mount it with the best set up for the gun and scope available.

I've taken very good care of it, cleaning it during and after sighting it in (3 shots a year) as well as generally a few additional shots during the season. The night the season is over, I clean it very thoroughly and put it in the safe.

Does anybody have any experience selling on gun broker?

Does anybody have any experience selling on gun broker?

Although I have purchased often enough off gun broker and guns america, I have never sold. I have had good experiences buying and would think selling wouldn't be too complicated, but you might be able to find someone willing to sell it for you for a small fee of say $50 or so. Maybe less. On a $1000 transaction, that isn't too bad. I know as a person buying, I like very high quality photo's available of the rifle.

I've bought and sold at least a dozen firearms on Gunbroker, it's a good sampling of the market and very easy. Only hassle is FFL transfers, but that's because I live 1.5 hours from the closest gun shop.

One thing I keep in mind Chase is demand for certain firearms is so much higher than others. Guns don't really depreciate per se, but demand is really variable and dependent on the public's mood at the time. Browning's probably as much as any domestic mass produced gun has such hot and cold feelings when it comes to their rifles.

The guys that love them really love them and then there is everyone else. I'd price it for what you need and just let it ride on Gunbroker until it sells. It could take a long time, but the right guy will come along especially if the condition is good.

Thanks DTS, it is looking like I will go ahead and trade it. I just wanted to get as much out of it as I could to help with buying a few other guns.

Thanks DTS, it is looking like I will go ahead and trade it. I just wanted to get as much out of it as I could to help with buying a few other guns.

I do that a lot. I don't really grow the collection much anymore but just upgrade or trade caliber when I grow weary of a gun. I still have a couple hundred rounds of 22-250 ammo and don't even have one. Swapped it for a 243. I sell a lot of guns in my local pawn shop. Several people have nice guns just because I got bored of a rifle. Sold my Ruger 77 to my brother in law for $600.

Get rid of it and get something shiny and new!

It's hard for me to justify letting go of a gun as well. There's so many guns I want, but I would be in the poor house if I bought them all (and all the damned ammo). I go through my collection all the time trying to find one I would trade, and I always end up finding a reason whether it's sentimental or just too nice for me to let go.

I have an old Mossberg 185D 20 gauge, but it was my dads bird gun when he was young and I can't let go of it. It ain't worth much at all and would be good to throw down as an installment for a new gun in layaway, but it's in the safe and will stay there lol.

I have a couple of Henry's that I rarely shoot, but they are so damn cool as lever guns I can't let them go either...personally, I would rather buy another safe and keep everything than trade or sell anything...

Reactions: JonnyVito
For every gun I've got rid of, I've replaced it with 2 or 3. It's like crack. I can say that I've thinned the herd down to a couple dozen, which is pretty good for me.

panhndlpoke, what flavor of 22-250 do you have? I've got a Tikka that gets lots of work in the winter time with varmint control.

Sold!

Thanks for your help guys.

Now, lets talk 308s?

I have a 22-250, 243, 30-06 (need a stalk for it from a horse snapping it) and a 338. I have been eyeing a 308 for a year, but I cannot decide due to other advice. My initial choice was a Browning X-bolt Eclipse with a bull barrel, but my buddy at the gun store is trying to talk me into a Ruger Precision. I am now torn!

I am not a big fan of tactical firearms, but the Precision is evidently a tack driver. I would like to get into some long range (out to 1000) shooting and I am now unsure what I want to do between the two.

By the way, I love my new Cynergy!

For every gun I've got rid of, I've replaced it with 2 or 3. It's like crack. I can say that I've thinned the herd down to a couple dozen, which is pretty good for me.

panhndlpoke, what flavor of 22-250 do you have? I've got a Tikka that gets lots of work in the winter time with varmint control.

I had a Remington 700 VLS (http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-vls.aspx), but I sold it several years ago. That's why I mentioned having 22-250 ammo. I have 200 or so rounds and no rifle. I did like the rifle, but decided to go with a slightly heavier round (243) to fight wind here in Guymon and am thinking about adding a 260 Rem to my collection.

Sold!

Thanks for your help guys.

Now, lets talk 308s?

I have a 22-250, 243, 30-06 (need a stalk for it from a horse snapping it) and a 338. I have been eyeing a 308 for a year, but I cannot decide due to other advice. My initial choice was a Browning X-bolt Eclipse with a bull barrel, but my buddy at the gun store is trying to talk me into a Ruger Precision. I am now torn!

I am not a big fan of tactical firearms, but the Precision is evidently a tack driver. I would like to get into some long range (out to 1000) shooting and I am now unsure what I want to do between the two.

By the way, I love my new Cynergy!

Ok, I have a strong opinion about these style rifles, not just the Ruger. The AR styled bolt action precision rifles, in general. 1. They're usually pretty heavy. If you're not going to carry them very far, it is a nice recoil reducing feature. If you're planning on carrying the rifle on a hunt, it can be a massive anvil tied to your back. 2. I am not a fan of the AR steel forearm on rifles. You can add plastic to cover it, but you're adding weight. Again, if you're not carrying the rifle, it doesn't matter, but why buy a rifle you have to add lots of things to? And why do I not like steel forearms on rifles? Go sit and call coyotes when it is 5 degrees outside. It's cold. Freezing. That block of steel or aluminum on the front of your rifle sucks all the heat out of your hands while you hold it. Putting a plastic cover over it helps, but to me, it isn't ideal. I've seen some companies making the forearm out of other materials, but I'm afraid they'd flex and not remain rigid like they're supposed to. 3. They're usually extremely rugged. 4. I love how adjustable they are. You can change the stock to fit just you want it. 5 They're usually very accurate. 6. Some of them you can buy multiple barrels as long as you stay in the same case family and you can switch rounds. ie: If you bought a 308 caliber in the rifle. You could buy a barrel to fit it chambered in 243, and swap barrels as you pleased. The magazine and bolt would work for either. You'd likely have to buy a few gun smithing tools to accomplish this, but they'd be inconsequential compared to the price of a new rifle.

All that being said, I think you can get the accuracy, ruggedness, and the ability to adjust the rifle to you from other platforms without having to have essentially a solid steel rifle. I don't know if you can get the same level of accuracy for the same amount of money as the Ruger.

I almost bought one several years ago from a guy named KK Jense up in Montana. Ultimately, I was unable to get the money together to buy one of his "tube" guns. Jense Precision eventually became Proof Research (http://proofresearch.com/). They don't show a tube gun on the site, but I don't know that he wouldn't build one. He was a very big fan of the platform the Ruger is following, and he felt the 260 Remington was superior to the 308 in just about every facet except ammunition availability. While there are more 260's out there and more ammunition around, the 260 is still a more difficult round to get good ammunition, and it will cost.

If you end up with the Ruger Precision, I would be VERY curious about the rifle.

Reactions: chasepollard
Yeah, my buddy just bought a 260 and he has since ventured into re-loading for it. He likes it, but I would like to keep my collection narrowed to readily available ammo. I am not worried about an apocalypse, but I am worried about libs impacting ammo and prices.

I will hunt with it some, but not a ton of still hunting around here for me. But, I might want to send one at an antelope at a long range or a muley? Also, I am a little worried about what kind of first impression I will bring on if I show up to camp with a tactical gun?

Haha, I don't really care if they care...I just know what I would think if a guy got that out to hunt with chasing antelope, mule deer or elk?

ar10.jpg

Here's my .308 I got last December. Not something you would want to lug around the mountain or prairie on an elk hunt, but fun to prop up on a bipod in the back of a truck and destroy pigs with.

Haha, I don't really care if they care...I just know what I would think if a guy got that out to hunt with chasing antelope, mule deer or elk?

Yeah. I would think he might be THAT guy. You know the one. The guy that wears fatigues any time a gun is involved. The guy that wears tons of tactical gear for a 22 shoot. The guy that wears a tactical vest on a pheasant hunt. The guy that carries a Kel Tec KSG on a dove hunt. Well, that last one was me last year. I'm not sure how many laws I violated having shotgun capable of having 14 rounds in the magazine, but it was pretty fun. I did only insert three just to give my conscience a break. And just in case the ranger stopped by.

ar10.jpg

Here's my .308 I got last December. Not something you would want to lug around the mountain or prairie on an elk hunt, but fun to prop up on a bipod in the back of a truck and destroy pigs with.

Never ever put up a photo without explaining make/model of the rifle and scope!!!!!

Sorry, the details were listed in a thread several months back.

Matrix Aerospace upper and lower matched receiver set
Midwest Industries 15" free floating had guard
NEMO 16" Stainless Steel melonite barrel
Elite Tactical Carbonite bolt carrier group
Matrix Aerospace tactical charging handle
Magpul 6 position adjustable stock
Magpul MOE + grip

I replaced the shitty Armalite single stage trigger with a drop in CMC single stage tactical w/ a 3.5# pull. Made the world of difference.

The scope is a Vortex Viper HS 2.5x10.

The gun will shoot pretty well.

That's a sweet looking gun Pokes15. I'm digging it. Don't have an AR, I have been late to the party as far as tactical guns go lol. I'm more of a classic gun guy, but I love them all and have been shopping around for a good one.

I traded some guns for a boat this summer, it took me about 2 weeks to replace all but one gun. I'll replace the final shotgun right before Pheasant season. I was thinking about getting rid of my 20gage O/U and replacing it with a 12 gage O/U anyway.

I traded some guns for a boat this summer, it took me about 2 weeks to replace all but one gun. I'll replace the final shotgun right before Pheasant season. I was thinking about getting rid of my 20gage O/U and replacing it with a 12 gage O/U anyway.

if you are going to trade that 22-250 and dont let me know first , well my kid might not like you as much as he didn't over the Power Wagon. Ha.

I traded that Thompson center 22-250, bought pax a .243. Replaced the stock on the 270WSM that I got from you. I'll send you the pic when I get it back. Bought a nice woodgrain savage 30/06 with the accutrigger and Nikon glass.

Speaking of O/U guns, I have been awaiting the Ithaca Phoenix for about 5 years now lol. I don't know if they will ever get that gun out. Looks beautiful, and it will probably be Benelli like in price. But I have always liked Ithaca and the Phoenix, from what I can see, would definitely be beautiful shotgun...but it may end up a safe queen lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT