ADVERTISEMENT

Gun collectors? (Updated w/pics)

Jeff J.

Jul 6, 2003
Surely we have some on here....

I traded off a truck yesterday for an old shotgun. I think I did pretty well, but have to say I'm not truly sure.

It's a Winchester Model 1887 lever-action 12 gauge. Based on the serial #, it was made in 1891. Very, very good condition overall. The stock has been repaired (crack), and it has been blued/re-blued at some point previously (the barrel was blued from the factory, receiver case hardened...it's currently all blued).

Any thoughts on what this thing is worth? I know the bluing actually hurts value to a point. The base of wood and metal looks 80% of original to my eye, but I'm far from an expert.

Added pics. Don't have any at the moment of the whole thing or the barrel end, as the ones I took were poor.
This post was edited on 2/20 6:55 PM by Jeff J.

Re: Gun collectors?

Given the time period of production, wouldn't it have a damascus barrel? (I would love to be wealthy enough to be a big time collector! but alas I'm an educator...) Could you share a couple of pics with us?

Gunbroker.com has several listed anywhere from $450.00 opening bid to $3500.00. You are right about reblueing hurting the value. Should be damascus and uses blackpowder shells

1211297.jpg

1211293.jpg

1211294.jpg

1211295.jpg

1211296.jpg

1211298.jpg

A bit more info. The gun is clearly (to me) in fireable condition. The action works properly and smoothly. Hammer cocks and firing pin drops every time. I realize dry firing is no bueno, but it's been necessary a few times to check the action. I do also understand it should not be fired unless with blackpowder or reduced charge cartridges.

Originally posted by TexasCowPoke:
Good looking gun Jeff! Great shape for the age. Do you know what the engraving on the sideplate means? (Is it someone's initials?)

No, that's the "Ornate" Winchester logo.

Winchester Repeating Arms

I have an 1897 Winchester Pump shotgun that has been in my family. For whatever reason, that gun has nearly no value at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT