ADVERTISEMENT

Getting Older and Not Being Able to Go Back to Sleep

nathajw

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Mar 21, 2007
DFW
Does it continually get worse? I'm 38 and up until a year or two ago I could wake up in the middle of the night and go right back to sleep but not anymore.

Last night I was exhausted and went to bed about an hour earlier than usual on a worknight (9:30) and woke up to piss around 3. I maybe was able to get 15 minutes of total sleep after that tossing and turning before my alarm clock went off at 6:00. I feel fine on so few hours until the afternoon when I physically start nodding off at my desk. I've started taking magnesium in the evening and I think it helps a little bit.

Reactions: Sebastian
Gets worse. I finally quit fighting trying to go back to sleep and just get up and read/watch tv/browse internet for an hour or so then go back to bed. I'm kind of to the point now that I look forward to that hour or so in the middle of the night. Peaceful and quiet.

• Wow
Reactions: nathajw
I hit that point 25 yrs ago (64 now). It has gotten progressively worse. I get up pretty early, 4:15. I go to bed at approximately 9. Start waking up at midnight, wake up about every hour till 4:15! Which would be great except that I don't get back into a sound sleep at all. Sucks.

Reactions: nathajw
Same here. I’m 46 and it started recently. I have found that a quickie with the wife helps me go back to sleep faster.

Used to have this problem until I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and prescribed a cpap machine.

Now, most nights I sleep through the night and on the occasions I do wake up to piss, I go right back to sleep.

And now, I don't piss in the bed the times I sleep through the night.

My main deal at this point is I am so used to waking up no later than 5a that I cannot force myself to sleep in on weekends or holidays or even when I have a hangover.

• Haha
Reactions: OSUIvan and Inky29
Sorry to here Nathajw, IF it goes on for an extended period of time (a month or more) pretty consistently, talk to your Dr. Some general recommendations I give patients include: Review and practice good sleep hygiene. Lots of people don't. And practice Relaxation and De-stressing exercises (physical and psychological). A sleep study may help - if your doc recommends it. As mentioned above, many people are not aware they have sleep apnea until a study is done. It sounds like you go to sleep just fine, so you get that initial deep sleep cycle, which is good, but might not be getting enough of other sleep cycles, like REM, which we need for optimal health. We do need less sleep as we age, and individuals vary greatly in amount needed. I do pretty well with about 6 to 6.5. and for me a little more is nice, but not over 8. But if you're tired during the day, then, again, see your doc. Chronic sleep deprivation is a bad/dangerous thing. Also worrying about not sleeping is a great way to not sleep!;)

Reactions: sbaPoke and nathajw
I just started getting leg cramps in the night. I ain't slowing down though.

Does it continually get worse? I'm 38 and up until a year or two ago I could wake up in the middle of the night and go right back to sleep but not anymore.

Last night I was exhausted and went to bed about an hour earlier than usual on a worknight (9:30) and woke up to piss around 3. I maybe was able to get 15 minutes of total sleep after that tossing and turning before my alarm clock went off at 6:00. I feel fine on so few hours until the afternoon when I physically start nodding off at my desk. I've started taking magnesium in the evening and I think it helps a little bit.
I’m 38 and have the same issue. Just don’t sleep well in general. Though I do work some shift work from time to time. But I have nights where I get sleepy about 8 o’clock. Go through putting my kids to bed. Then by the time everything is done and I get into bed the sleepiness is gone. There are times I have an alarm at 415 am, and I keep looking at the clock thinking ok if I sleep now I can get 6 hours, then 5 hours, then 4. Prob an anxiety thing.

There are a lot of claims bi-phasic sleeping is natural. That sleeping 8 hours straight is a biproduct of the industrial revolution. Have no idea whether it's trash science or not.

Unfortunately, I've just made it part of the routine. I get up and work for a couple of hours in peace and quiet and then go back to bed for a second round.

I am 72 and have sleep apnea. I have worn a CPAP machine for probably 15 + years and it helps me sleep. I probably get close to 8+ hours a night of pretty good sleep according to my sleep doctor. You might check it out. I went to the doctor the first time when my daughter was concerned I wasn't breathing when we stayed at a hotel together. Also snored badly.

Ironic seeing this topic being discussed; this just started happening to me in the last 2-3 months and I'm in my mid 30s. It never seems to happen on the weekends, so I'm just attributing it to work stress for now.

There are a lot of claims bi-phasic sleeping is natural. That sleeping 8 hours straight is a biproduct of the industrial revolution. Have no idea whether it's trash science or not.
It is an interesting concept. If I go to sleep when I start nodding off in the evening, I'm back awake and laser focused at 1:30 or 2. If I make the mistake of thinking about work stuff, I'm relegated to catnaps and checking the clock the rest of the way. I've been trying to stay active later into the evening, to avoid wanting to turn in too early.

I'm consistently in bed at 9-930, asleep within 15 minutes and wake up before the alarm at 0500. Wake up and get a coffee right away so I'm up and buzzing early. But I also do some type of exercise almost every morning so I'm good and worn out when I go to bed.

Occasionally can't sleep because I'm busy thinking about something stupid one of my kids (or all three of them) did. Or there's some asshole at work; which is rare lately since I switched jobs. Or I'm arguing with some dipsh!t here on the boards.

Also no fluids at night except maybe a nightcap; also empty that bladder until you piss dust right before going to bed. Have done this for years.

I'm consistently in bed at 9-930, asleep within 15 minutes and wake up before the alarm at 0500. Wake up and get a coffee right away so I'm up and buzzing early. But I also do some type of exercise almost every morning so I'm good and worn out when I go to bed.

Occasionally can't sleep because I'm busy thinking about something stupid one of my kids (or all three of them) did. Or there's some asshole at work; which is rare lately since I switched jobs. Or I'm arguing with some dipsh!t here on the boards.

Also no fluids at night except maybe a nightcap; also empty that bladder until you piss dust right before going to bed. Have done this for years.
Pissing dust for years. May need to get it looked at

If your in Tulsa go see my FIL he can do a sleep study and make you a sleep appliance if you have sleep apnea. (think of a mouth guard vs a cpap machine). And he's an OSU grad.

Yes. It gets worse. Look on the bright side: it’s better than going to bed and never waking up.

😂. I figured I was the only person on this board that has actually lost sleep because I'm pissed at somebody else on the board. Hasn't happened in years, but it has happened a couple of times.

Melatonin gummies are awesome.

I wish my daughter wouldn’t have shown me the Sleep melatonin. I didn’t have any sleep issues, but man do they help falling asleep. I am addicted now.

Melatonin gummies are awesome.

I wish my daughter wouldn’t have shown me the Sleep melatonin. I didn’t have any sleep issues, but man do they help falling asleep. I am addicted now.
I have started taking magnesium pills and they do really good

Isn’t it funny how many medicines we take in gummies. I need to write that down.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT