ADVERTISEMENT

Foolish or not - 5k in 10 weeks

Did week 1, day 1 of C25K program today. What have I done????

You can handle 3.1 miles. The challenge is making it to the starting line without getting yourself injured. If you are truly going from couch to 5K just make sure you take it easy and listen to your body. It's better to get to the starting line a little under trained than not get there at all....which happens a lot. Good luck!

It’s definitely doable. I’ll give you one piece of advice I got a long time ago. “Don’t stop. Keep moving. Even if you have to walk, your ability to run again will come back. Just keep moving.”

W1D2 in the books - feeling pretty good about this. Legs are tight as I spent yesterday transplanting hydrangias. Even with that was able to sustain a 6 mph pace on the jogs, and walked at what is a clip for me at 3.5.

Starting to think about what kind of goal to set. A walking time would be 53 minutes. At a @Rdcldad pace it would be about 20. Maybe split the difference and shoot for 36 and change.... will scout the course and see what the hills look like in the next couple of weeks.

Using the Zen Labs C25K app - basic but usable.

W1D2 in the books - feeling pretty good about this. Legs are tight as I spent yesterday transplanting hydrangias. Even with that was able to sustain a 6 mph pace on the jogs, and walked at what is a clip for me at 3.5.

Starting to think about what kind of goal to set. A walking time would be 53 minutes. At a @Rdcldad pace it would be about 20. Maybe split the difference and shoot for 36 and change.... will scout the course and see what the hills look like in the next couple of weeks.

Using the Zen Labs C25K app - basic but usable.

When I was 17 my best 5k time was just under 19... and most were between 20 and 22. Upper thirties is probably a reasonable goal to start. :)

If/when I get back down in the 160’s versus the 210’s, 30’s are my goal.

Reactions: davidallen
You can do that. 5k is an attainable fitness goal for almost anyone.

The key is to challenge yourself to improve on some measurable day to day.

Train for your run but also mix in some #resistance (heh) training. Challenge yourself to do 5 more pounds, 3 more reps, better your time and/or distance a little each time. If possible get a workout buddy to hold yourself accountable to. write your progress down.

You can do that. 5k is an attainable fitness goal for almost anyone.

The key is to challenge yourself to improve on some measurable day to day.

Train for your run but also mix in some #resistance (heh) training. Challenge yourself to do 5 more pounds, 3 more reps, better your time and/or distance a little each time. If possible get a workout buddy to hold yourself accountable to. write your progress down.
The 15 YO has been that workout buddy. Really enjoy the time with her. She was pushing me yesterday. She got some nasty stomach bug and was home puking today, warned her I will kick her ass tomorrow. Saw a bit of her Daddy's fire in her eyes in response.

Appreciate the resistance cross train advice, will take that to heart.

@davidallen Is weight loss a goal here? If so, are you using an app to keep track of calories?

My Fitness Pal app has done wonders for me. I’m down 14 pounds so far. And since adding exercise, my blood pressure has dropped significantly. 125/80 yesterday. Why didn’t I do this sooner?

And oddly, those guys giving you a hard time were a factor that motivated me to get started. So thanks for taking one for the team!

@davidallen Is weight loss a goal here? If so, are you using an app to keep track of calories?

My Fitness Pal app has done wonders for me. I’m down 14 pounds so far. And since adding exercise, my blood pressure has dropped significantly. 125/80 yesterday. Why didn’t I do this sooner?

And oddly, those guys giving you a hard time were a factor that motivated me to get started. So thanks for taking one for the team!
I am always here for you!

I am a big fitbit fan (literally and figuratively). Been using their stuff for maybe 5 years. My greatest success in losing or at least keeping even has been when I log my food. Used My Fitness Pal previously, but the integrations with Fitbit were wonky so I just started using there stuff exclusively a year or so ago.

I gain and lose like a mad man. I am roughly one hundred off my all time peak weight now, and very close of making it to being just an overweight bastard instead of an obese bastard (dropping below 30 BMI). This 5K kick is intended to get me past a plateau - been stuck at 190ish for a good while now.

The 15 YO has been that workout buddy. Really enjoy the time with her. She was pushing me yesterday. She got some nasty stomach bug and was home puking today, warned her I will kick her ass tomorrow. Saw a bit of her Daddy's fire in her eyes in response.

Appreciate the resistance cross train advice, will take that to heart.

This last summer I kept not having time to get to the gym and I needed to come up with a short full body high intensity workout I could do anywhere.

What I came up with was any combo that added up to 100 push-ups 100 squats and 50 sit-ups.

For me I was pretty out of shape so it took like 12 or 13 minutes the first time, but I timed it and challenged myself to just always beat my last time even if by a second. Got it down to nearly 4 minutes before I hit the point where I wasn’t taking any breaks to get through it and couldn’t really do it faster. Took about 5 weeks. I could tell a huge difference in stamina and energy.

Some sort of thing like that for a fitness jumpstart I really can’t recommend enough.

This last summer I kept not having time to get to the gym and I needed to come up with a short full body high intensity workout I could do anywhere.

What I came up with was any combo that added up to 100 push-ups 100 squats and 50 sit-ups.

For me I was pretty out of shape so it took like 12 or 13 minutes the first time, but I timed it and challenged myself to just always beat my last time even if by a second. Got it down to nearly 4 minutes before I hit the point where I wasn’t taking any breaks to get through it and couldn’t really do it faster. Took about 5 weeks. I could tell a huge difference in stamina and energy.

Some sort of thing like that for a fitness jumpstart I really can’t recommend enough.
That is an awesome approach. Should try and do something similar. Frequently traveling so this would fit nicely.

Happy to see that you are working towards a 5k goal. 10 weeks is doable. At age 50 (that was in 2011), I decided to attempt a 5k. I had never ran a mile in my life. I used the couch to 5k program and it worked! My first 5k was the St. Patricks 5k in Tulsa. My gun time was 36:36 and chip time was 35:31...11:25 pace. I am not a fast/natural runner so I just compete against myself. Since 2011, I've ran one marathon and three half marathons. Still run but not as much as my first six years. Don't know your age but stick with it. My training days were Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. At an older age I didn't want to blow anything out by over training. As been said before, celebrate getting to the starting line! Keep us in the loop on your progress.

Happy to see that you are working towards a 5k goal. 10 weeks is doable. At age 50 (that was in 2011), I decided to attempt a 5k. I had never ran a mile in my life. I used the couch to 5k program and it worked! My first 5k was the St. Patricks 5k in Tulsa. My gun time was 36:36 and chip time was 35:31...11:25 pace. I am not a fast/natural runner so I just compete against myself. Since 2011, I've ran one marathon and three half marathons. Still run but not as much as my first six years. Don't know your age but stick with it. My training days were Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. At an older age I didn't want to blow anything out by over training. As been said before, celebrate getting to the starting line! Keep us in the loop on your progress.
54 years old. Damn, typing that hurt.

Finished week 1 increasing jog speed and walk speed each day, plan to test out my one mile time Monday. Adopting that same cadence Tues/Thurs/Sat.

54 years old. Damn, typing that hurt.

Finished week 1 increasing jog speed and walk speed each day, plan to test out my one mile time Monday. Adopting that same cadence Tues/Thurs/Sat.
Don’t go faster than 6 mph on jog speed. That’s a 10 min/mile which is pretty quick starting out. Just shorten your time walking until you can eliminate. Might even slow your jog to 5.5.

also, get outside and run. Might find it better on your old legs!

I got out of running about 18 months ago after a move and longer hours at work. I’m back at it now and it has been tough. I gained a lot of weight in that time...so trying to lose that while building it back up.

Don’t go faster than 6 mph on jog speed. That’s a 10 min/mile which is pretty quick starting out. Just shorten your time walking until you can eliminate. Might even slow your jog to 5.5.

also, get outside and run. Might find it better on your old legs!

I got out of running about 18 months ago after a move and longer hours at work. I’m back at it now and it has been tough. I gained a lot of weight in that time...so trying to lose that while building it back up.
Old legs. Indeed.

Likely get outside this week - down in Sunnyvale with good weather looks like.

Bearing in mind I’m a moron, Mega’s routine gets you where you want to go and would strengthen your back instead of punish it.

Just start out with considerably smaller numbers.
Yeah, but that doesn't fix the Boog problem. That and I am hard headed once I put a goal out there.

Not saying your wrong, but I got this. Likely one and done, but can put the bib on the board and cross it off the list.

Cycling will be back a year from now. Then the goal will be Cycle Oregon.

12:15 mile jog/run this morning...

Set an initial pace at 5.1 for the first third, Fast walk at 3.8 for middle portion
Finished at 6.0 pace as it felt like most natural stride

HR peaked a bit higher than I would like at 179 (166 is avg max at my age).

Doing fine, no aches beyond tired legs.

Reactions: Alpha Woke
12:15 mile jog/run this morning...

Set an initial pace at 5.1 for the first third, Fast walk at 3.8 for middle portion
Finished at 6.0 pace as it felt like most natural stride

HR peaked a bit higher than I would like at 179 (166 is avg max at my age).

Doing fine, no aches beyond tired legs.
Pulse is my limiting factor right now. I won’t allow myself to get over 160. 179 is not good!

Reactions: davidallen
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT