ADVERTISEMENT

Fly fishing

Pokes15

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2006
Looking to get in to fly fishing. Any recommendations for an outfit that doesn't break the bank? I've been looking at some of the entry level Orvis sets and Cabelas sets. The Cabelas gear makes the most sense, since it's right down the street from me and I can return it if the rod breaks, etc..

Probably looking to get a 5wt 9', and maybe adding a 3wt and an 8wt down the road if I enjoy it as much as I think I am going to.

If it is possible, I would set up a guided trip so you can try before buying. I have had lots of rods from G Loomis, Sage, and Orvis. The only thing I would suggest is to get a set with unconditional guarantee. Or if those are too expensive, buy something inexpensive enough you wouldn't cry too much if it breaks. Fly rods are super long and thin and can be broken rather easily. The big boys that have that guarantee just get you a fresh rod.

Also, I'd limit your first rod to a 2 piece or possibly a 3 piece. 2 piece's just way out perform a 3 piece. also, there's less pieces to come apart in mid cast!

I have a 2 wt, 5 wt, & 8 or 9 wt that I still actually use. The 8 or 9 man handles 8 pound bass. The 2 wt is a hoot on 5 inch trout. I think 5 wt is just about perfect for a first rig and pretty versatile. I once caught a 25 pound King Salmon on my 5 wt Sage.

I have pretty much given up every other fishing on fresh water for fly fishing. I think it is way more fun.

Hope that helps, but I'm sure someone way more experienced will chime in soon.

If it is possible, I would set up a guided trip so you can try before buying. I have had lots of rods from G Loomis, Sage, and Orvis. The only thing I would suggest is to get a set with unconditional guarantee. Or if those are too expensive, buy something inexpensive enough you wouldn't cry too much if it breaks. Fly rods are super long and thin and can be broken rather easily. The big boys that have that guarantee just get you a fresh rod.

Also, I'd limit your first rod to a 2 piece or possibly a 3 piece. 2 piece's just way out perform a 3 piece. also, there's less pieces to come apart in mid cast!

I have a 2 wt, 5 wt, & 8 or 9 wt that I still actually use. The 8 or 9 man handles 8 pound bass. The 2 wt is a hoot on 5 inch trout. I think 5 wt is just about perfect for a first rig and pretty versatile. I once caught a 25 pound King Salmon on my 5 wt Sage.

I have pretty much given up every other fishing on fresh water for fly fishing. I think it is way more fun.

Hope that helps, but I'm sure someone way more experienced will chime in soon.

This is all good advice. I've got half a dozen rods of all flavors and you don't have to go to the most expensive, but you need one that has a great guarantee. Right now I'm using Sage and Winston.

The Orvis Clearwater line is a great entry level to intermediate setup and their combo is hard to beat on the price.

Never bought a Winston. I always wanted one, but I can't get one in my hands anywhere around here. Sage and Orvis seem to be everywhere, especially in Taos, Santa Fe, etc. where I tend to be.

I know of a couple places where you can get them up here. I think Frying Pan Anglers still carry some in their store, and occasionally you can find a high quality used rod at Rick's Rod's in Denver.

I'm sure that's true, but I just don't see em often. Denver is still 385 or so miles away.

I agree that a 8.5 to 9 ft 5 wt is the ideal first rod. My other rods are more specialty rods. Many great rods out there now, but for a beginner I'd get a medium fast rod. Casting lessons will increase your enjoyment (and effectiveness) a great deal. I also agree with if possible to either get a guided trip with lessons or go with someone very experienced to help you with the many details involved with flyfishing. I love it and it's what I do even for bass 90% of the time.
The names mentioned above are expensive but you are paying for the lifetime warranty. If you don't want to go to a $600+ setup, you can get some very nice rods /combos for $300-400. Flyfishing, like many sports, is one where I enjoy using fine equipment though it is not necessarily more effective. I'm looking to build a bamboo rod next. My favorite small river rod is a 7'9" 4 wt.... just the sweetest thing to case effortlessly. I built it from a mid cost range blank and wish I had another. I also tie about 50% of the flies I use and will work to "match the hatch" each evening with my tying kit at camp when fishing.

You can actually get an Orvis Clearwater combo for under $300 now. I've got a couple I use for loaners, but they are really good rods and reels for the money.

Reactions: TexasCowPoke
I almost got the Clearwater setup, but I had some Cabelas bucks and went with their RLS+ Combo in 9' and 5wt. It doesn't have the warranty that the Clearwater does, but I got it for $140 bucks, and it had great reviews online, plus Cabela's is just a few miles down the road. It figured it would be a good starter and maybe turn in to a back up if I decide I really enjoy fly fishing. I'm in Edmond, OK, so most of my fishing will be in ponds around town and back at my parents ranch in Southern OK when I head down there.

Cabelas offers a casting lessons, fly fishing camps, etc, so i'll take advantage of those since all of this is foreign to me. I got it out last night and went to the back yard and was casting back and forth with a little grasshopper fly I bought.

I'll hit up the Orvis store in Destin when we head down there in a month. I also plan on bringing the rod and reel along to see if can catch some ladyfish down on the beach.

I know of a couple places where you can get them up here. I think Frying Pan Anglers still carry some in their store, and occasionally you can find a high quality used rod at Rick's Rod's in Denver.

DTS, you close to Basalt? Frying Pan Anglers is where I got my intro set up (told them I was a bass fisherman looking to get into fly fishing and they did right by getting me exactly what I needed). I'll be there over Memorial Day weekend and would love to grab a beer if you're close.

One of our operations is north of there. Do you have my email? Let's see if we can make it work.

What are some good flies for bass? I picked up a random assortment at Cabelas, but didnt want to buy much until i did a little more research.

What are some good flies for bass? I picked up a random assortment at Cabelas, but didnt want to buy much until i did a little more research.

Big streamers work well but I typically use poppers of all varieties, colors and sizes.

Great choice 15. Lots of wisdom from the posters on here!
Flies: 95% of the time, in warmwater fishing, I'm using a top-water popper of some sort, or a hopper pattern. Some short, Some long and slim, I usually gravitate toward yellow and grasshopper colors. Subsurface, baitfish colors work too. I even have a big hair frog that is deadly right at dusk. If you really get into bass fishing with a flyrod, with a chance of big fish, I'd add an 8 wt to your lineup as it gives you more backbone to manage a big fish, plus it allows you to punch out these big bushy (wind resistant) flies below even with some wind. but a 2-3 lb bass on a 5 wt is pure fun.
Other types of lures that work well subsurface are things like sneaky petes, various eel patterns (sort of look like plastic worms in the water), etc. If you go to a shop and can look at them, I bet you can guess pretty well which are good bets to entice bass to bite. There are different retrieve patterns with some of those too, some just a twitch, some faster, a few really fast, but most slower. I just have to try different styles until I find what they like.

After you learn to cast, you'll learn line management. Line management is uber important. To me, on moving waters it is even more critical than great casting. There are times I need three hands to do it right. On still waters, it's not so critical. A fun thing about flyfishing: There is always more to learn, another level of knowledge, skill and proficiency ....That's one reason I love it. Another reason is that trout have great taste in scenery. They tend to live in beautiful places.
I think of flyfishing like I do bowhunting: You can challenge yourself more, the details really matter, and it's often up close and personal.

Last edited:
Bass will eat anything they see. They do have to see it so in windier conditions brighter patterns work best. On my farm pond I could probably put a hook in a cork and they'd eat it. The bigger bass only eat other fish so they're super tricky to catch. Bass have huge mouths relative to body size so even very small fish will aggressively go after pretty large flies. Hoppers are what I use mostly but just cause late season trout also love hoppers and it is when I am most likely to be able to hit some trout in NM

I had a nice mouse pattern years ago. Lost it somewhere along the way but I'm going to get another.

I've heard the Browns will hit a mouse, but I've had zero success. I fish brooks and rainbows mainly with the occasional cutbow

I took the new setup down to my neighborhood pond after work yesterday. I had some early struggles with getting the line tangled up, but by the end of the evening I was getting pretty good. I caught quite a few perch and a little bass on a small hopper fly. The bass was probably 3/4 pound, but it was fun getting him in. I can only imagine what a 5lber would feel like.

I tried a popper that I had bought, but I think its meant for a heavier weight line.

I have a sage rod outfitted with an Orris Battenkill reel.

I've never really had much luck casting poppers very well. They just don't fly like I want them to fly.

Big bushy poppers are one of the hardest to throw, and you really have to punch them out there. They do test your technique and timing. If your casting against a moderate wind, fuggetaboutit.
Speaking of casting, 15, be a bit careful casting when the wind is coming directly from the shoulder of your casting arm as the wind can blow the fly into you (if using an overhead cast). I've had bead head nymphs, (ouch) etc., smacking my ear or hat as the fly come by. I've actually had to stop and get a hook out of a friends ear once. ...
Now, Wait till we tell you about "wind knots"..... that aren't about wind at all. Again, casting lessons are invaluable, along with a lot of practice.

But mostly, it's great to hear your having fun! I think we should have an OSU flyfishers camping/gathering down at Broken Bow sometime this summer, ....especially timed when the Corral is going bonkers.

It has 3 full bedrooms and one bedroom has two beds plus a sleeper sofa. We could fit 5 folks on seperate beds and another one or two would easily fit on air up mattresses.

I guess I should add that it is across the street from Monte verde lake and the earliest I could reasonably cut loose is probably late June or July. August and Sept wouldn't be out of the question either.

Last edited:
I'm headed to my home waters in CO in late June but would love to meet up sometime later in the summer for a long (4 day?) weekend if others are interested! This group would be great to sit around with and talk OSU sports and tall tales of hunting/fishing. plus between us, I'm sure we can help a little with casting and flyishing skills for those rather new to the sport. DTS? 15? Dally? Others?

Last edited:
I'm always interested. I need dates and locations to plan.

Both of those dates appear to be free for me for the most part. We keep a family calendar at my office so I won't be able to check it until next week to make absolutely sure no one has already planned a trip up.

I would suggest a Rio Grande fly fishing run, if we can. I've always wanted to hit it sometime

I found out I have non-negotiable on August 6th.

And just so we're clear, the cabin is in Angel Fire, not Red River. There is lots of decent water near by. I will go to one of those kiosks and grab all the fishing guide services brochures before I go, just for fun. I also have some friends here locally that might be able to get us some private water.

And we have this across the street

81C900D1-95E1-45FB-A6AD-D92FC99FB1EF.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT