ADVERTISEMENT

Flo High School rankings prior to Fargo

oberebo

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Oct 30, 2005
Shawnee,OK
Flo ranked all 14 high school weights prior to Jr. Nationals at Fargo. They ranked their top 20 at each weight so 280 wrestlers were ranked. Oklahoma had 7 wrestlers make the top 280. I have not followed High School wrestling in Oklahoma as closely in the last 2-3 years but this seems to be a very poor showing. Someone more in the know or with a wrestler or two in Oklahoma might want to comment on this showing. BTW the seven wrestlers are as follows:
106 Jordan Williams #17
113 Carter Young #9
145 Luke Surber #8
170 Dustin Plott #1
195 Konner Doucet #6
220 Zach Marcheseli #13
285 Montana Phillips #8

Yup. One reason our team got smoked by Ohio...the disparity on talent level was severe.

the freshman class looks pretty good in Oklahoma
Win Magazine has come out with their predictions on the finals matchups for the Cadet/junior Freestyle in Fargo. The Cadet Freestyle will be Monday July 16th and the Junior Freestyle starts Tuesday July 17th. Three Oklahoma wrestlers are predicted to be in the finals of Cadet and/or Junior. In the Cadets Carter Young predicted to be in the finals at 106 and Tate Picklo in the finals at 152. In the Juniors Jacob Butler is predicted to be in the finals at 138. They admit that this forecast was done prior to the Junior National duals so there is a little more guesswork involved in the Juniors. I would expect Dustin Plott to be a finalist at 160 or 170 as he has defeated wrestlers listed in the finals at those two weights. Plott is ranked #1 at 170 by Flo.

Win Magazine has come out with their predictions on the finals matchups for the Cadet/junior Freestyle in Fargo. The Cadet Freestyle will be Monday July 16th and the Junior Freestyle starts Tuesday July 17th. Three Oklahoma wrestlers are predicted to be in the finals of Cadet and/or Junior. In the Cadets Carter Young predicted to be in the finals at 106 and Tate Picklo in the finals at 152. In the Juniors Jacob Butler is predicted to be in the finals at 138. They admit that this forecast was done prior to the Junior National duals so there is a little more guesswork involved in the Juniors. I would expect Dustin Plott to be a finalist at 160 or 170 as he has defeated wrestlers listed in the finals at those two weights. Plott is ranked #1 at 170 by Flo.
Flo has now come out with their preview and predictions. For Junior Freestyle Oklahomans shown as contenders or finalists are below.
100 All three predictors have Eli Griffin of Oklahoma as the champion.
113 Flo shows Jackson Cockrell and Studd Morris as contenders.
126 Reece Witcraft is shown as a contender.
145 Luke Surber is shown as contender and picked 8th.
152 Hunter Jump shown as a contender and ranked 15th.
170 two of the three voters pick Dustin Plott to be the champion.
182 Travis Witlake, Cowboy recruit from Oregon, is picked by 2 of the 3 to win it.
195 Konner Doucet is shown as a contender and ranked 6th.
220 Josh Heindselman is a contender and ranked 14th.
285 Mason Lancaster is shown as a contender.

Flo has now come out with their preview and predictions. For Junior Freestyle Oklahomans shown as contenders or finalists are below.
100 All three predictors have Eli Griffin of Oklahoma as the champion.
113 Flo shows Jackson Cockrell and Studd Morris as contenders.
126 Reece Witcraft is shown as a contender.
145 Luke Surber is shown as contender and picked 8th.
152 Hunter Jump shown as a contender and ranked 15th.
170 two of the three voters pick Dustin Plott to be the champion.
182 Travis Witlake, Cowboy recruit from Oregon, is picked by 2 of the 3 to win it.
195 Konner Doucet is shown as a contender and ranked 6th.
220 Josh Heindselman is a contender and ranked 14th.
285 Mason Lancaster is shown as a contender.
Junior team from Oklahoma is not yet up on Flo but here is the Cadet team according to Flo.
88 Sam Smith *
94 Christian Forbes, Guy Clevenger
100 Cooper Mahaffey, Jason Gilbert,Jordan Williams* Luke Ahrberg
106 Aiden Boyd, James Brenner, Cutter Sheets, Jose Beceril
113 Braeden Williams, Carter Young * , Tucker Owens
120 Jared Hill, John Wiley, Noah Smith
126 Hudson Smith
132 Cade Manion, Christopher Dugger
138 Blake Salt,Christopher Moores,Jack Wells, Randall Jackson,Kolby DePron,
Jackson Traylor
145 Blake Ramos, Chris Harpole, Cougar Andersen*, Logan Parrott, Wallace Tilley
152 Jacob Law, Tate Picklo*
160 Gavin Koehler, Seth Guzman, William Martin
170 Bryce Jackson, Jackson Jones, Kyle Heile
182 Jack Kitchingham
195 Coleman Lecoq
220 Ryan Cochran
285 Carson Wiley, Steve Culberson
* the wrestlers with asterisks are picked by Flo as contenders with Carter Young picked to finish 3rd and Tate Picklo as 4th.

Flo ranked all 14 high school weights prior to Jr. Nationals at Fargo. They ranked their top 20 at each weight so 280 wrestlers were ranked. Oklahoma had 7 wrestlers make the top 280. I have not followed High School wrestling in Oklahoma as closely in the last 2-3 years but this seems to be a very poor showing. Someone more in the know or with a wrestler or two in Oklahoma might want to comment on this showing. BTW the seven wrestlers are as follows:
106 Jordan Williams #17
113 Carter Young #9
145 Luke Surber #8
170 Dustin Plott #1
195 Konner Doucet #6
220 Zach Marcheseli #13
285 Montana Phillips #8
There was a 2 year stretch maybe 6-8 years ago where OK only had 4 guys ranked each year. Then a year (probably 2014) where at different times and in different rankings 27 Oklahoma high schoolers were ranked. I am pretty sure it was when Fix and Gfeller were freshman. Joe Smith, Brock and Lewallen Etc. were juniors. C. Rogers, Harding, Jacobe, White and Dixon triplets were seniors.

The Cadet roster you posted seems to be solid. I see 7-8 that will probably be ranked soon if not already and the roster doesn’t include Eli Griffin, Tagen Jamison and I’m sure a few more I can’t think of.

Reactions: oberebo
There was a 2 year stretch maybe 6-8 years ago where OK only had 4 guys ranked each year. Then a year (probably 2014) where at different times and in different rankings 27 Oklahoma high schoolers were ranked. I am pretty sure it was when Fix and Gfeller were freshman. Joe Smith, Brock and Lewallen Etc. were juniors. C. Rogers, Harding, Jacobe, White and Dixon triplets were seniors.

The Cadet roster you posted seems to be solid. I see 7-8 that will probably be ranked soon if not already and the roster doesn’t include Eli Griffin, Tagen Jamison and I’m sure a few more I can’t think of.
Cadet Freestyle is underway with by my count 50 Oklahoma wrestlers. Early results include two tech falls by Carter Young at 113. In the first round not counting byes we had 12 wins as opposed to 9 losses.

Junior team from Oklahoma is not yet up on Flo but here is the Cadet team according to Flo.
88 Sam Smith *
94 Christian Forbes, Guy Clevenger
100 Cooper Mahaffey, Jason Gilbert,Jordan Williams* Luke Ahrberg
106 Aiden Boyd, James Brenner, Cutter Sheets, Jose Beceril
113 Braeden Williams, Carter Young * , Tucker Owens
120 Jared Hill, John Wiley, Noah Smith
126 Hudson Smith
132 Cade Manion, Christopher Dugger
138 Blake Salt,Christopher Moores,Jack Wells, Randall Jackson,Kolby DePron,
Jackson Traylor
145 Blake Ramos, Chris Harpole, Cougar Andersen*, Logan Parrott, Wallace Tilley
152 Jacob Law, Tate Picklo*
160 Gavin Koehler, Seth Guzman, William Martin
170 Bryce Jackson, Jackson Jones, Kyle Heile
182 Jack Kitchingham
195 Coleman Lecoq
220 Ryan Cochran
285 Carson Wiley, Steve Culberson
* the wrestlers with asterisks are picked by Flo as contenders with Carter Young picked to finish 3rd and Tate Picklo as 4th.
Is Sam Smith the next in line? I thought coach Smiths middle son was named Sam.

Is Sam Smith the next in line? I thought coach Smiths middle son was named Sam.
Sam lost his first match 10-0 and do not know if this is John's son. Out of the 50 that started we still have 11 undefeated and all are in the round of 16. We have 17 still in consolations.Carter Young is 3-0 with all three tech falls.

Reactions: Rdcldad
Sam lost his first match 10-0 and do not know if this is John's son. Out of the 50 that started we still have 11 undefeated and all are in the round of 16. We have 17 still in consolations.Carter Young is 3-0 with all three tech falls.
Now down to 7 undefeated and Carter Young lost in round of 16 12-8.Wrestlers remaining undefeated are Guy Clevenger 94# and in the qtrs, Cruz Partain at 220, Cougar Andersen at 145, John Weise at 285#,Jordan Williams 3-0 and in the qtrs at 100, Steven Culberson at 285 and Tate Picklo at 152.

Last edited:
Sam is Johns son and I would say 88 pounds would be his weight.
Due to an injury and a forfeit the Oklahoma team is the only point scorer in the tournament thus far with 3 points. Oklahoma has the only two wrestlers so far to reach the semis as Jordan Williams at 100 got a forfeit in the qtrs and Cruz Partain won by injury default if I am reading the brackets correctly. In any even Oklahoma is atop the leader board with 3 points. We have five more wrestlers in the qtrs including Tate Picklo with 4 wins and 3 tech falls. Steven Culberson, Cougar Andersen, Guy Clevenger, John Wiese are in the quarters. Interesting also that the bracket at 220 shows that in the semis Cruz Partain will wrestle Cael Valencia from California. With that first and last name he has quite a pedigree. No idea of his relationship with the other two Valencias. Interesting also that Sam Smith lost his first match to Christian Stafford from Arkansas. Could Uncle Pat have coached Stafford? Sam won his consolation match 8-4 over a Pennsylvania wrestler.

Last edited:
Due to an injury and a forfeit the Oklahoma team is the only point scorer in the tournament thus far with 3 points. Oklahoma has the only two wrestlers so far to reach the semis as Jordan Williams at 100 got a forfeit in the qtrs and Cruz Partain won by injury default if I am reading the brackets correctly. In any even Oklahoma is atop the leader board with 3 points. We have five more wrestlers in the qtrs including Tate Picklo with 4 wins and 3 tech falls. Steven Culberson, Cougar Andersen, Guy Clevenger, John Wiese are in the quarters. Interesting also that the bracket at 220 shows that in the semis Cruz Partain will wrestle Cael Valencia from California. With that first and last name he has quite a pedigree. No idea of his relationship with the other two Valencias. Interesting also that Sam Smith lost his first match to Christian Stafford from Arkansas. Could Uncle Pat have coached Stafford? Sam won his consolation match 8-4 over a Pennsylvania wrestler.
Jr. Freestyle has started but too early to give a lot of results. Several Byes in the first round.

Jr. Freestyle has started but too early to give a lot of results. Several Byes in the first round.
BTW Cael Valencia is the younger brother of Zahid and is coached by his father and Don Bosco High School in California. He is a freshman and I mis-spoke about who he was wrestling. He is wrestling Cougar Andersen and I saw part of that match where Cougar was leading 6-4 but was taken down and turned and then injured.

BTW Cael Valencia is the younger brother of Zahid and is coached by his father and Don Bosco High School in California. He is a freshman and I mis-spoke about who he was wrestling. He is wrestling Cougar Andersen and I saw part of that match where Cougar was leading 6-4 but was taken down and turned and then injured.
5 Oklahomans left in Championship round and 3 in the consos. Tate Picklo is now 5-0 and in the semis as are Jordan Williams, Cruz Partain, John Wiese and Steve Culberson. Cougar lost to Cael Valencia 16-6 and Guy Clevenger and Kolby DePron lost but all three in consos. BTW Sam Smith had another 10-0 loss and is out.

5 Oklahomans left in Championship round and 3 in the consos. Tate Picklo is now 5-0 and in the semis as are Jordan Williams, Cruz Partain, John Wiese and Steve Culberson. Cougar lost to Cael Valencia 16-6 and Guy Clevenger and Kolby DePron lost but all three in consos. BTW Sam Smith had another 10-0 loss and is out.
24 Juniors are undefeated so far BUT 8 or 9 have not yet wrestled. Dustin Plott is 2-0 with two techs

24 Juniors are undefeated so far BUT 8 or 9 have not yet wrestled. Dustin Plott is 2-0 with two techs
Picklo, Jordan Williams and Partain in the Semis.For the eight wrestlers left the matchups are 145 Cougar Andersen vs. Petrucelli pa. in consos
220 Cruz Partain vs. Christ Island Ca. in semis
285 John Weise vs. Alex Coleman Oh in consos
100 Jordan Williams vs. Stevo Poulinsky NY in semis
138 Kolby DePron vs. Luke Mechler Wis. in consos
152 Tate Picklo vs. Brock Ellis Indiana in semis
285 Steven Culberson Vs. Broderick Reese Oregon in consos

All starting at 4:30 along with Daton Fix vs. Brandon Courtney

Last edited:
Fix makes quick work in the first of the best of 3 winning 11-0 just about 20 seconds into the second period.

Picklo out of Mustang made the cadet finals. I wonder if he is a guy we will take a look at.

I saw a picture of Plott before they left for Fargo and he was wearing an OSU wrestling shirt. Not that it really means much of anything but it can't be a bad sign.

Picklo out of Mustang made the cadet finals. I wonder if he is a guy we will take a look at.

I saw a picture of Plott before they left for Fargo and he was wearing an OSU wrestling shirt. Not that it really means much of anything but it can't be a bad sign.
I watched 3 of Picklo's matches. He is uber-aggressive and strong. He has a unique style and is someone to watch for in the coming years.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
I watched 3 of Picklo's matches. He is uber-aggressive and strong. He has a unique style and is someone to watch for in the coming years.
We have 14 undefeated wrestlers left in Juniors. Bryce Cockrell and Eli Griffin are in the qtrs with the others in the round of 12. Matches going on at this time.

We have 14 undefeated wrestlers left in Juniors. Bryce Cockrell and Eli Griffin are in the qtrs with the others in the round of 12. Matches going on at this time.
Now have 13 undefeated as Golowenski at 120 lost 11-0 to Bisoglia of Iowa.

Now have 13 undefeated as Golowenski at 120 lost 11-0 to Bisoglia of Iowa.
Down to 12 as Schickram lost but Reece Witcraft at 126 advanced to the qtrs with a 5-4 win and Ryder Ramsey advanced to qtrs with 11-0 tech fall at 126.

Thanks for the updates. If you see any other big time OU recruits like Butler, appreciate it if you can pass those along as well.

Thanks for the updates. If you see any other big time OU recruits like Butler, appreciate it if you can pass those along as well.
Ya gotta be kidding us, right? :)

Just kidding you-watched a couple of Butler and he looked good. Didn't see the quarter

Well bad news for the Sooners as Butler lost 10-0 in the qtrs. We had lots of losses and ended up with three in the Semis. Dustin Plott had his 4th straight tech to advance to the Semis against Starocci of Pennsylvania. Josh Heindselman adanced at 220 to the semis with a 9 point decision and wrestles Luke Luffman of Il. and Reece Witcraft at 126 meets Kellyn March of South Dakota. In the cadets two are in th finals with Tate Picklo at 152 facing Manuel Rojas of Michigan and Jordan Williams at 100 facing Alex Almeyda of NJ.
Others still in the tournament in Juniors include Ryder Ramsey,Stephen Cook, Talon Borrer, Jacob Butler, Eli Griffin, Colton Denney and Bryce Cockrell.

Williams from Oklahoma wins at Cadet title. I don't know much about him.

Well bad news for the Sooners as Butler lost 10-0 in the qtrs. We had lots of losses and ended up with three in the Semis. Dustin Plott had his 4th straight tech to advance to the Semis against Starocci of Pennsylvania. Josh Heindselman adanced at 220 to the semis with a 9 point decision and wrestles Luke Luffman of Il. and Reece Witcraft at 126 meets Kellyn March of South Dakota. In the cadets two are in th finals with Tate Picklo at 152 facing Manuel Rojas of Michigan and Jordan Williams at 100 facing Alex Almeyda of NJ.
Others still in the tournament in Juniors include Ryder Ramsey,Stephen Cook, Talon Borrer, Jacob Butler, Eli Griffin, Colton Denney and Bryce Cockrell.
Plott looked very good advancing to the finals at 70. However Whitlake seems to have dropped a level since he committed to us. Getting de-commitments from Penn. St that looked fantastic but has not worked out so far. Marsteller did not work out and I don't like how Whitlake looks in a number of matches he has lost.

very disappointed in his (wittlakes) performance. as mentioned he has took a few steps back. he doesn't seem sure of himself and his strength is suspect.

very disappointed in his (wittlakes) performance. as mentioned he has took a few steps back. he doesn't seem sure of himself and his strength is suspect.

True but he lost to one of the hottest kids in the country. Several uber blue chip guys lost the last few days some earlier than the semis.

I know you know but FS is a whole different ballgame. Travis still posses all the potential and high ceiling that made him one of the top recruits in the country.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT