ADVERTISEMENT

Everyone Gets Worse at OSU

OAMC99

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 25, 2002
Every single wrestler has digressed with maybe the exception of Plott who has been what he was expected to be (Although he didn't wrestle to seed either).

There is a lot of talent on this roster. A ton of highly ranked recruits. They come here and don't get any better and in most cases get worse.

Current Roster Overall/P4P Rankings out of high school from FLO Big Board:

Wittcraft 24
Mastrogiovanni 13
Fix 1
Young 19
Voinovich 12
Gfeller 15
Sheets 52
Plott 11
Wittlake 6
Haas 18
Surber 63
Doucett 89

Fix reminds me a little of Mocco.Dominant most of his career and then people figured him out at the end. Daton has looked disinterested most of the tournament.

Reactions: OAMC99
Seems a bit dramatic. Surber isn’t ranked 63 in college. Never mind that rating high school seniors is not equivalent to rating all of D1 wrestlers. I don’t really want to argue the point, think we’re all in the same boat of disappointment here… just feels a little weird to say that everyone regresses.

Last edited:
Fix reminds me a little of Mocco.Dominant most of his career and then people figured him out at the end. Daton has looked disinterested most of the tournament.
Gotta wonder what was going on. So dominant until the tournament and then once the quarterfinals hit it was like… flat. Maybe he was conserving energy. Hard to say, but weird to watch.

Seems a bit dramatic. Surber isn’t ranked 63 in college. Never mind that rating high school seniors is not equivalent to rating all of D1 wrestlers. I don’t really want to argue the point, think we’re all in the same boat of disappointment here… just feels a little weird to say that everyone regresses.
Alex who has gotten better or outperformed expectations in your oopinion? Maybe I missed someone?

Gotta wonder what was going on. So dominant until the tournament and then once the quarterfinals hit it was like… flat. Maybe he was conserving energy. Hard to say, but weird to watch.
I respectfully disagree on this take. Fix was NOT dominant this year. Fix is a 25 year old, 6th year Senior, World Freestyle medalist. His stats were underwhelming - total takedowns, bonus point wins, falls, etc. His offense was extremely unimpressive. In two NCAA tournament losses this was exposed = zero takedowns on two lower seeded wrestlers.

I respectfully disagree on this take. Fix was NOT dominant this year. Fix is a 25 year old, 6th year Senior, World Freestyle medalist. His stats were underwhelming - total takedowns, bonus point wins, falls, etc. His offense was extremely unimpressive. In two NCAA tournament losses this was exposed = zero takedowns on two lower seeded wrestlers.
His offense was definitely less than what we’re used to seeing. Never thought McGee would ride him out essentially.

Reactions: bwel9339 and OAMC99
I think Doucet improved. He went from losing to Chandler Rogers during the ranking matches to being fairly competitive with most heavyweights. His lack of aggression still holds him back though. He has to shoot, but doesn't for some reason.

Reactions: OAMC99 and JAY45
I think Doucet improved. He went from losing to Chandler Rogers during the ranking matches to being fairly competitive with most heavyweights. His lack of aggression still holds him back though. He has to shoot, but doesn't for some reason.
It’s easy to improve when you start from a very low bar. But he held his own for us, definitely not who or what we need at 285 moving forward. I don’t remember ever seeing a wrestling collect as many wins as he did with only taking maybe 5 shots all year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT