ADVERTISEMENT

Early Signing Period Begins July 1st

The general consensus is that we have no money this year and a big name or recruit will not come just because of John and the Oklahoma State tradition. I think we will have to be content with what we have committed. Heil is the only senior starter so it does not free up much money for next year committments.
And only two seniors total on the roster. 13 juniors. 2018 should be a big year.

Reactions: oberebo
I don't want this comment to sound argumentative, but I just don't understand how we wouldn't have the scholarship $ available for at least 1 top recruit in this class. I believe this to be the case for a few reasons, but I won't go into them now (I posted that I would bite my tongue until the signing period was over).

Instead I will just ask this - Dean was an out of state top 15 overall recruit and is now a 2x champ, how do people see his scholarship allocation being used based on the 2018 recruiting class? Right now we know of two incoming recruits, one ranked around 50th and the other not ranked in the top 100.

I don't want this comment to sound argumentative, but I just don't understand how we wouldn't have the scholarship $ available for at least 1 top recruit in this class. I believe this to be the case for a few reasons, but I won't go into them now (I posted that I would bite my tongue until the signing period was over).

Instead I will just ask this - Dean was an out of state top 15 overall recruit and is now a 2x champ, how do people see his scholarship allocation being used based on the 2018 recruiting class? Right now we know of two incoming recruits, one ranked around 50th and the other not ranked in the top 100.

I can think of a few things that may be limiting the amount of scholarship money beyond just losing Dean Heil. These are entirely speculative and could be way off base.

Dean may not have much of a scholarship. If I remember right, he committed before OSU even offered a scholarship because it was his favorite program. I think his dad is an exec with an aeronautical company. OSU may have gotten lucky getting him cheap.

The 4 transfers that OSU took on last year may have been promised deferred scholarship money.

The returning six all-Americans (5 still Jr or younger) may have received scholarship boosts after achieving the honor.

Just some ideas. I hope there is a lot of talent in next years class. If not a single top 50 recruit is signed in this class, the overall talent will take a huge hit after this Jr class graduates.

I can think of a few things that may be limiting the amount of scholarship money beyond just losing Dean Heil. These are entirely speculative and could be way off base.

Dean may not have much of a scholarship. If I remember right, he committed before OSU even offered a scholarship because it was his favorite program. I think his dad is an exec with an aeronautical company. OSU may have gotten lucky getting him cheap.

The 4 transfers that OSU took on last year may have been promised deferred scholarship money.

The returning six all-Americans (5 still Jr or younger) may have received scholarship boosts after achieving the honor.

Just some ideas. I hope there is a lot of talent in next years class. If not a single top 50 recruit is signed in this class, the overall talent will take a huge hit after this Jr class graduates.

All good points. And you're right that it's definitely speculative to guess scholarship $ available. But here are some other points to consider:

Even if Dean came in low, I would think (hope) he would get a significant increase after winning his first title, let alone his second.

We did have 4 transfers come in (looks like 1 has since left), but we also had some big time transfers leave. Marstellar was the #1 overall recruit (and out of state) in the country and Blees was around #15 (also out of state). Several others are also off the roster since then like Mann, Hone (Mormon mission, might be back) and Allen. They were all weight class ranked leaving HS. Plus Olson, who was around #60 leaving HS. That's basically where Montalvo is slotted, our only top 100 recruit in the 2018 class.

Doesn't add up to me. Sorry if this seems negative. Stopping now.

Marstellar was the #1 overall recruit (and out of state) in the country and Blees was around #15 (also out of state).

I did not think about how Geo, Jacobs, White and Andrews as incoming transfers exactly matched up with Marsteller and Blees.

All good points. And you're right that it's definitely speculative to guess scholarship $ available. But here are some other points to consider:

Even if Dean came in low, I would think (hope) he would get a significant increase after winning his first title, let alone his second.

We did have 4 transfers come in (looks like 1 has since left), but we also had some big time transfers leave. Marstellar was the #1 overall recruit (and out of state) in the country and Blees was around #15 (also out of state). Several others are also off the roster since then like Mann, Hone (Mormon mission, might be back) and Allen. They were all weight class ranked leaving HS. Plus Olson, who was around #60 leaving HS. That's basically where Montalvo is slotted, our only top 100 recruit in the 2018 class.

Doesn't add up to me. Sorry if this seems negative. Stopping now.
If we don't have money we need to start allocating our money differently. Penn St. loses Rutherford and their 197 and this year got these commitments Joe Lee, Roman Bravo Young, Travis Wittlake, Gavin Teasdale, Seth Nevills and Michael Beard ( unbelievable). They lost Suriano and right away then get a commitment from Teske. Ohio State is the only school right now that has stayed with Penn. St. We had a very good team last year, we will have a good team this year and we will have a good team next year. I believe we were jogging in recruiting when these 2 programs were sprinting and we have been left behind. I hope we get Carr and Lee but the flo guys don't think we will get these 2. It may be that the year I die this forum will still be 34 and counting. I hope our coaches prove me wrong but the last 2 recruiting years plus this year have left us way behind and somehow we have not adjusted even yet. A sign of not stellar leadership. We struggle except when recruiting Oklahoma standouts.

There are 5 top 100 nationally ranked OK kids in the 2019 class.

We obviously need a big and high end 2019 class.

If we don't have money we need to start allocating our money differently. Penn St. loses Rutherford and their 197 and this year got these commitments Joe Lee, Roman Bravo Young, Travis Wittlake, Gavin Teasdale, Seth Nevills and Michael Beard ( unbelievable). They lost Suriano and right away then get a commitment from Teske. Ohio State is the only school right now that has stayed with Penn. St. We had a very good team last year, we will have a good team this year and we will have a good team next year. I believe we were jogging in recruiting when these 2 programs were sprinting and we have been left behind. I hope we get Carr and Lee but the flo guys don't think we will get these 2. It may be that the year I die this forum will still be 34 and counting. I hope our coaches prove me wrong but the last 2 recruiting years plus this year have left us way behind and somehow we have not adjusted even yet. A sign of not stellar leadership. We struggle except when recruiting Oklahoma standouts.

I agree, unfortunately.

There are 5 top 100 nationally ranked OK kids in the 2019 class.

We obviously need a big and high end 2019 class.
Possibly 2 of those are high division 1 recruits ( Marcheselli at 97, and Coleman at 74. I saw Marcheselli wrestle at big tournament but lost in the finals, but I have never seen Coleman wrestling national level wrestlers. They need the Colorado HWT. Schultz but I don't know if that is possible. Anyone have information on 19 recruiting

Possibly 2 of those are high division 1 recruits ( Marcheselli at 97, and Coleman at 74. I saw Marcheselli wrestle at big tournament but lost in the finals, but I have never seen Coleman wrestling national level wrestlers. They need the Colorado HWT. Schultz but I don't know if that is possible. Anyone have information on 19 recruiting

I think the general thinking is that the 2019 class has considerably less firepower nationally than the 2018 class.

As far as heavy is concerned, maybe our long term plan is Brian Andrews? He plans to transfer from NEO next year. I say that because we didn't even do a Mason Parris home visit. We were the only top 10 team in need of a heavy that did not at least visit him. I can't understand that unless John sees something in either Ethan Andersen or Neil Putnam (both freshman). Also, Schultz may go the greco route.

Does anyone know if David Carr took his official visit this weekend? Homecoming weekend would have been perfect timing.

Last edited:
Glad to hear that, would love to land him. He picked a good weekend to visit.

Mark Bader put some more videos up on Flo. David and his dad can be seen in the background watching practice.

Alex Dieringer, Chris Perry, Tyler Caldwell, Zack Eposito, Zeke Jordan, Joe Smith, Chandler Rogers, Jacobe Smith - that has to be the best set of training partners of the schools he's considering.

Also, Derek White looks like he put on some good weight.

I think the general thinking is that the 2019 class has considerably less firepower nationally than the 2018 class.

As far as heavy is concerned, maybe our long term plan is Brian Andrews? He plans to transfer from NEO next year. I say that because we didn't even do a Mason Parris home visit. We were the only top 10 team in need of a heavy that did not at least visit him. I can't understand that unless John sees something in either Ethan Andersen or Neil Putnam (both freshman). Also, Schultz may go the greco route.

Does anyone know if David Carr took his official visit this weekend? Homecoming weekend would have been perfect timing.

It's still nice to see 5 OK kids in the national rankings as that is usually good for our program. Several of those are upper weights as well which is good.

Reactions: Wrassler17
Mark Bader put some more videos up on Flo. David and his dad can be seen in the background watching practice.

Alex Dieringer, Chris Perry, Tyler Caldwell, Zack Eposito, Zeke Jordan, Joe Smith, Chandler Rogers, Jacobe Smith - that has to be the best set of training partners of the schools he's considering.

Also, Derek White looks like he put on some good weight.
typical night on flo-the only part of their video system that is working is the commercials. You would think they could take those off for subscribers....

Part of me feels creating this thread was a colossal waste of everyone's time since we may not sign any top 40 recruits from the 2018 class. But hope springs eternal, so looking ahead to 2019 The Open Mat just released their latest HS rankings. They don't have a top 14 "PFP" (all classes combined) or a top 100 "Big Board" like Flo, but I like their format because everything can be viewed on one page.

Link:
http://news.theopenmat.com/high-sch...vidual-wrestling-rankings-oct-19th-2017/64548

The OK rising juniors include Zane Coleman #19 at 170, Zach Marcheselli #14 at 195 and Montana Phillips #18 at 285.

Two major talents that we must aggressively pursue:
Aaron Brooks (MD) #1 at 170, part of the 2018 class but heading to the OTC for a year, Cadet world champ. He told Flo that he plans to visit PSU, Maryland, Arizona St, Michigan and Iowa State. His father has posted on the PSU and Iowa boards and it seems like he will end up at 184 or 197.
Daniel Kerkvleit (MN) #3 at 220, committed to MN, but seems to be still growing and might end up at heavy (they have Steveson), Cadet world champ. As an aside, MN has a lot of HS talent, it would be good if Keegan Moore was successful at OSU to attract other recruits from the state.

Others:
Cohlton Schultz (CO) #2 at 285, I'm not as high on him as others, maybe because I never really followed greco much.
Jaden Abas (CA) #14 at 138, Gerry's son, has a lot of skills.

Some sophomores:
Braxton Amos (WV) #2 at 220, 4x Fargo winner already.
Ashton Sharp (MO) #11 at 195, double Fargo champ that likes McDonald's.
A.J. Ferrari (TX) #5 at 170, Fargo champ (he's really really good).
Patrick Kennedy (MN) #9 at 170, Ferrari beat him at Fargo I think.
Theorius Robison (CO) #4 at 138, has looked good at Fargo.
Julian Tagg (OH) #3 at 113, Cadet World Team member.

Part of me feels creating this thread was a colossal waste of everyone's time since we may not sign any top 40 recruits from the 2018 class. But hope springs eternal, so looking ahead to 2019 The Open Mat just released their latest HS rankings. They don't have a top 14 "PFP" (all classes combined) or a top 100 "Big Board" like Flo, but I like their format because everything can be viewed on one page.

Link:
http://news.theopenmat.com/high-sch...vidual-wrestling-rankings-oct-19th-2017/64548

The OK rising juniors include Zane Coleman #19 at 170, Zach Marcheselli #14 at 195 and Montana Phillips #18 at 285.

Aaron Brooks (MD) #1 at 170, part of the 2018 class but heading to the OTC for a year, Cadet world champ. He told Flo that he plans to visit PSU, Maryland, Arizona St, Michigan and Iowa State. His father has posted on the PSU and Iowa boards and it seems like he will end up at 184 or 197.
Daniel Kerkvleit (MN) #3 at 220, committed to MN, but seems to be still growing and might end up at heavy (they have Steveson), Cadet world champ. As an aside, MN has a lot of HS talent, it would be good if Keegan Moore was successful at OSU to attract other recruits from the state.

Others:
Cohlton Schultz (CO) #2 at 285, I'm not as high on him as others, maybe because I never really followed greco much.

Some sophomores:
I appreciate you bringing these conversations to the board.

A few other names to add to the Junior list:
Matt Olguin, CA-#20 @ 138. He actually wrestled 113 in school but 132 this summer, so it is hard to know where he will be at in the future. Lost to Rutgers commit Aguilar in the semis last year. Teammate of Montalvo.
Connor Brady, OH-#4 @ 152.
Carter Starocci, PA-#6 @ 160.
Theorius Robison, CO. TOM incorrectly lists him as a So.
Colton Yapoujian, CO, I believe Flo had him top 5 p4p in this class as a Freshman.

The So. class in Oklahoma has several guys to watch. Jackson Cockrell, Gabe Johnson, Rocky Stephens, Caleb Tanner, Luke Surber, Dustin Plott, Konner Doucet to name a few. Most of these guys will make the rankings as Juniors if not sooner.

Sammy Sasso to Ohio State. Not a big deal really, David Carr was the key recruit available this month in my opinion (even over Mason Parris). At this point, I would pull back any offers we have outstanding and save the scholarship $ until spring. Maybe there are breakout seniors or transfer possibilities.

I know Brayton Lee is still uncommitted but we have Kaden and Wyatt around his weight. No need to create another log jam in the lineup.

Ohio State and Penn State are separating themselves leaving everyone in the dust. The 2018 class is a wash. Hopefully we'll have better luck recruiting the 2019 class

Ohio State and Penn State are separating themselves leaving everyone in the dust. The 2018 class is a wash. Hopefully we'll have better luck recruiting the 2019 class

There are 5 top 100 kids from Oklahoma in the 2019 class so there is hope.

Link:

Others:

Some sophomores:

Thanks for using our rankings! To clarify, we do have a top 100 Class of 2018, top 75 class of 2019, top 50 class of 2020, and top 25 class of 2021 up on the site, but they are behind the paywall currently.

The 2018 was loaded with elite studs. The 2019 isn't looked at to be on the same level as 2018

Mason Parris to Michigan. They have a terrific class that also includes Will Lewan and Joey Silva.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT