ADVERTISEMENT

Dual State

topc22blue

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Feb 8, 2017
These classes gonna be blow outs minus the 6a final for those in the know?

These classes gonna be blow outs minus the 6a final for those in the know?
Thompson beat Robb 2 to 1 in overtime with Thompson holding on top for 30 seconds and Jersey Robb choosing neutral and not getting the takedown. The weight was 215 and Robb was much larger of course. I think Wrassler said Brayden would be giving up 25 or more pounds to Jersey Robb. Thompson seems to be the kind of wrestler who finds a way to win.

Thompson beat Robb 2 to 1 in overtime with Thompson holding on top for 30 seconds and Jersey Robb choosing neutral and not getting the takedown. The weight was 215 and Robb was much larger of course. I think Wrassler said Brayden would be giving up 25 or more pounds to Jersey Robb. Thompson seems to be the kind of wrestler who finds a way to win.
Beric Jordan was going to get a tech with back points but pinned his opponent. He got out from underneath with some ease and quickness. Sam Smith beat Isaiah Jones 3 to 1 and Jones I believe was one of the junior high wrestlers that Liljordan mentioned before junior high state. He really stuck with the much older Sam Smith.

Several future Cowboys. Who will win the Stillwater Edmond North match?

Beric Jordan was going to get a tech with back points but pinned his opponent. He got out from underneath with some ease and quickness. Sam Smith beat Isaiah Jones 3 to 1 and Jones I believe was one of the junior high wrestlers that Liljordan mentioned before junior high state. He really stuck with the much older Sam Smith.
McComas lost to Gage Walker 6 to 2 but really got slowed down by a knee injury. Hughes beat Caviness 18 to 5 both are Cowboy signees but Cael Hughes could be a real good wrestler.

Reactions: DPJ
McComas lost to Gage Walker 6 to 2 but really got slowed down by a knee injury. Hughes beat Caviness 18 to 5 both are Cowboy signees but Cael Hughes could be a real good wrestler.
Jace Roller pinned Judah Heeg in the 1st period with a cradle

Lockett with 4 takedowns and then pin in the 1st period. He could be a real good wrestler in College.
Sommer beat Guerrero 13 to 4. Past Cowboy greats we sure have not hit it big with most of their sons. Good wrestlers but not really good wrestlers.

Sommer beat Guerrero 13 to 4. Past Cowboy greats we sure have not hit it big with most of their sons. Good wrestlers but not really good wrestlers.
In Guerrero’s defense:

1) Sommer has been dominate this season. Since bumping up to 165 and of the matches I can find, he is 24-0 with 16 pins and 22 wins with bonus.

2) Guerrero is a grade younger.

3)Guerrero bumped up a weight class for this dual. They probably felt like he had a better shot against Sommer than Lockett.

Sommer is flying under the radar because he missed the Ironman. And he isn't cutting any weight, been weighing in between 162-163 all season. At this tourney he's 5 lbs under from where he could be with the allowance.

We need to land him & McComas before they turn into the next Cam Steed & Montorie Bridges.

What great wrestlers have had sons that exceeded their fathers?

I don’t know how long you have followed OSU wrestling, but the only family I can think of where the children exceeded their dad is the Perry family and I am not sure you would consider Mark senior a great wrestler when considering NCAA performance- in my opinion a great wrestler who underachieved at NCAA.

I don’t know how long you have followed OSU wrestling, but the only family I can think of where the children exceeded their dad is the Perry family and I am not sure you would consider Mark senior a great wrestler when considering NCAA performance- in my opinion a great wrestler who underachieved at NCAA.
I agree, Mark Perry I believe was a number 1 seed at least 1 year and maybe was a 1 time All American in 1984 maybe 5th. The sons were much better probably the mix of Perry and Smith wrestling genes.

Reactions: bwel9339
I agree, Mark Perry I believe was a number 1 seed at least 1 year and maybe was a 1 time All American in 1984 maybe 5th. The sons were much better probably the mix of Perry and Smith wrestling genes.
I really became a fan the year the cowboys recruited LeRoy Smith and Eric Wais.

Reactions: skylinepoke
Kael Voinovich and Rutledge have now wrested 5 times this year. Rutledge won the 1st match, then Kael has won 4 straight. Beating a ranked guy 4 straight is impressive, regardless of score.
And, at this point, they know eachother just like if they were in the same room. So its like a wrestle-off match, where both guys know exactly what the other is trying. I doubt any match will be won by more than 1 takedown difference.
Reminds me of his older brother who had a similar high school rivalry with Michael North (now starter at Maryland), where Victor lost the first match, then never lost again, but all close matches.

I really became a fan the year the cowboys recruited LeRoy Smith and Eric Wais.
So I started filling a couple years after that- 1983. I would have to look, but Mark Sr. was a 3 seed and finished 5 or 6 when Randy Willingham was a at 118 and the following year was a 1 seed at 118. I think he finished 5 or 6 both years, so for what ever reason- pressure, nerves,… did not do as well at NCAA as regular season. I can’t think of any families since I have been following the sport where the son was better than the elite father. Best comparison might be Nate Carr. I can’t think of other Father Son where they were both NCAA champs, but to this point, dad is still better than son.

Daton Fix has exceeded his Father's career.

I'm not sure there's a good answer. Stillwater's Rex Perry won 3 and sons Hugh and Ed each won 3 (amazing!). Wayne Martin won 3 and son Mickey won 2. Bill Koll won 3 and Rob won 1. Nate Carr won 3 while David has 1 with the chance at 3.

Dave Dean was a 2x AA (2nd, 3rd) and both sons have won titles Gabe (2xer) and Max (1). That's close but it depends on how you define great.

Reactions: JAY45
Coaching staff has done a great job with Jordan's bottom game.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAY45
Coaching staff has done a great job with Jordan's bottom game.
Hope we see Beric wrestle freestyle this year. Very curious to see how his style translates - his fireman's carry could be worth 4 points.

Beric transferred from Graham HS, long coached by Jeff Jordan. And Jeff Jordan could be an answer to the father/son question. Jeff was a 2x AA (4th, 4th) but his sons outperformed him. Bo was a 4x AA (3rd, 3rd, 2nd, 5th) & Micah was a 3x AA (4th, 6th, 2nd).

Sommer is flying under the radar because he missed the Ironman. And he isn't cutting any weight, been weighing in between 162-163 all season. At this tourney he's 5 lbs under from where he could be with the allowance.

We need to land him & McComas before they turn into the next Cam Steed & Montorie Bridges.
And a bum knee.

Voinovich wins 4 to 3 over Routeledge. Kael did not look good in either match today. Lockett wins by pin in the first period after 5 takedowns. Score 30 to 13 Stillwater.
He was lucky he didn’t get hit with stalling again in the 3rd. That being said, Routledge is extremely tough and fundamentally sound. I think Kael is 4-1 against him this year but with a point differential of like 5. Routledge is going to be a serious problem for ANYONE at any level if he develops just a little more offensively. I’m looking forward to his freestyle campaign this year along with Lockett I think we have a team chance of two Oklahoma boys on the Jr. World Team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT