ADVERTISEMENT

Defense this season

bigpoke24

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2001
People are underestimating the talent we have on that side of the ball. Which is fine, but if we are talking about enough talent to compete at the top level of the big 12 and only talking defense, OSU, in my opinion has it.

What Colin Oliver will we get is a question but he was a preseason all big 12 pick along with Kendal Daniels. Both appear to have nfl level talent.

We have 2 other senior starters at LB with Oliver who have been around and have experience. Add Nick Martin who I think is about to breakout big time.

We have a mammoth DT that everybody is raving about along with Collin Clay, Xavier Ross, and an up and comer in Aden Kelly.

We have talent at DE that people aren’t talking about. Goodlow has major talent and somehow has gone under the radar. Latu, Waltershied, and an up and comer in Desean Brown.

We have Korie Black coming back and I believe enough up and comers to be very solid at number 2 and have depth.

And probably our most loaded position, safety. Daniels is an nfl guy, Rucker is going to knock people out and from the sound of it was the cause of one guy leaving because he didn’t want to compete with Rucker, and Rawls. Not to mention Cameron Epps who supposedly ou was contacting to leave and Ty Williams who is a freak.

And probably some thoughts I’m forgetting. You can call the above orange koolaid, and maybe it is, but there is plenty of talent on the defensive side of the ball.

The question becomes can the transition to the new d combine with that talent and become a force right away?
Anytime and offense or a defense changes things it can take time to reach full potential.

I will not back down from us having enough talent on the defensive side of the ball to win the big 12. But my question will be the switch to 3-3-5.

If that transition happens quickly watch out for this defense to make a splash and be what we lean on.

Many people are sleeping on this defense. Not sure they should be.

One last thing, the sign of a good coach and why I know we got one in Nardo. He was at emporia state I believe and he had a team with a defense that was loaded with Seniors and they won at a high level. The following year he had a team full of young players so he changed somethings up completely in order to simplify things for them and give them the best chance to win games. To me, that’s a good coach. Recognize and react.

It’s not a question of if for me it’s just how long will it take?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News