ADVERTISEMENT

Defense positives

bigpoke24

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2001
In their 2nd game under this new scheme and with a new DC I’d say they showed some very positive things.

The first quarter, and maybe even the first half, the tackling was not good. It was like it carried over from the first game. I get that the reasoning seems to be that we don’t tackle to the ground in preseason. This got much better as the game went on.

We held them to 63 yards for a very long time into the end of the game. I know the last drive they put up some numbers but the 2nd half defensive performance was impressive.

I think the biggest positive for me was Colin Oliver. I know he is transitioning to a new position but the first game was not good. Last night he was all over the place and he made some big tackles and had some big hits.

Xavier Benson needs to come on next. He just hasn’t been very noticeable so far. It’s time for him to step up. We need him to step up.

Was awesome to see DeSean Brown and Jaleel Johnson making plays on the field. Both of those guys have bright futures.

Xavier Ross deserves some credit. He is making plays.

Lyrik Rawls is a big safety. He almost looks like a LB. Between him and Kendall Daniels and Rucker we have some very big safety’s. I wonder sometimes about speed back there. Rawls seemed to be in position tho and kept up with the WR speed. He did get a PI call against him but he was in position he just needed to turn around.

Would like to see more Ty Williams and Cam Epps. Both of those guys need to play more.

DJ McKiney didn’t stand out as much as he did week 1 but started I believe and is making a name for himself at corner. Did Kale Smith play much? I didn’t notice him.

I saw Jeff Roberson and Donovan Stephan’s and Gabr Brown getting some time at LB.

We did get lucky in the second half when that WR dropped the pass at midfield that possibly would have gone for 6.

We had the 1 breakdown in the first half that was pretty bad. Nobody was near their WR.

Over all though, holding a team to 15 points and 0 points in the second half and only 63 yards the majority of the 2nd half was impressive.

I think Nardo and this defense still have a ways to go but there were a lot of positive things out of the defense last night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News