ADVERTISEMENT

Death panels?

I hate that "number of insured" is considered a metric of success. For example, the small manufacturing company I work for employs about fifteen people. Prior to passage of the ACA, it offered an HRA (Health Reimbursement Account) plan. This plan was tax deductible to the company and tax free to the employees. Each employee received $250/month to spend on whatever medical needs they had. They could use it to buy insurance, pay for any medical expenses, dental expenses, vision expenses, even OTC drugs. They were technically uninsured though if they chose not to use the money to buy insurance, which many didn't because they are young. The most common situation involved the employees buying accident and cancer policies for big issues and using the balance for day to day needs. The money rolled forward year to year so some employees had over $5000 in their accounts.

After passage of the ACA, the HRA plan was no longer considered tax deductible to the company. The company now offers a platinum level BCBS plan and pays for 100% of the employee cost. Even at the platinum level the deductible is $1000 with a $20 copay. Dental and vision coverage are offered for an additional fee. Are the employees better off now since they are now insured? I guess they are if they get cancer at 30 years old. For the average employee, I'd say not so much. However, under the insured metric it's considered a victory. For me the biggest winner in this scenario is the insurance company.

Damn it, don't you all know that someone drowns a puppy every time you reply to a CUP troll post?

Trouble in paradise.

http://insurancenewsnet.com/oarticl...dlines-in-preparation-of-ending-services.html

"All I know is healthcare. gov doesn't work," Sen. Roz Baker (D, West Maui-South Maui)

Total cost to federal taxpayers: $205,342,270.

Just beautiful:

"The plan, obtained by the Honolulu Star-Advertiser, states the Connector will cease new enrollments Friday, discontinue outreach services May 31 and transfer its technology to the state by Sept. 30. The Connector's workforce will be completely eliminated by Feb. 28. The exchange has 32 employees, 29 temporary staff and 12 full-time contractors.
"Staff reductions will commence immediately, with the executive director ( Jeff Kissel) exiting once the bulk of operational activities end," the report said. "If the state cannot facilitate an orderly transition, the Connector's operations will abruptly end, as the Connector does not have the resources to continue operations."
The state was notified in March that Hawaii was out of compliance with the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare, because the Connector wasn't financially sustainable at the start of this year and wasn't integrated with the Medicaid system, which determines eligibility for subsidies and tax credits obtained through the exchange. The federal government subsequently restricted grant money to support the Connector and moved to take over its IT functions to allow residents to enroll in coverage through the federal marketplace, healthcare.gov."

Anyone who thinks Obamacare is going wonderfully and is the end all, be all is just a sycophant who can't see beyond their nose when it comes to President Obama.

Most of the exchanges, particularly California/Hawaii are a financial disaster and unless rescued by the feds or huge infusions of money by the states are going to collapse.

It's already been well documented that the enrollment numbers are mostly phony baloney.

Up, I want my $2500 savings. Can I get that from you because my costs for coverage have sky rocketed.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT