ADVERTISEMENT

Dax Hill

bigpoke24

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2001
I said I’d follow up my post on Grant Gunnell and Garett Wilson with one on Dax and his meaning for us on the defensive side of the ball. Here it is.

hate to put it this way but this is a must win recruit for us. I understand that a program isn’t built off one kid and I’m certainly not saying that. Just consider the following:

-if we sign Dax we will be signing one of the highest rated recruits in our history. There is a good chance Dax becomes a 5 star recruit before this is all said and done.

-signing Dax will mean we signed the number 1 player in Oklahoma. This would be a great way to continue our momentum as a program as we continue to take the next step of winning championships.

-signing Dax will give us huge recruiting momentum on a side of the ball we need to start signing better talent on.

And I’m sure Dax represents much more then the reasons I just stated. This is also much much more then and Osu vs. ou thing, and yes ou has clearly entered the picture. Ou fans and mods are convinced he is going to sign with ou. That would be bad:

-it would set a bad continued precedence. Ou’s defense has been just as bad, if not worse then OSU’s as of late. If they pull this off whether we like it or not or whether it’s true or not it will be viewed as normal status.

-yes the mockery of his brother playing at osu and him going to ou will be made, but more important they will be getting a high major player on the defensive side of the ball and we will be missing out on one we need.

Look, I realize this will be what it will be. As I said above 1 player doesn’t make a program and I’m not saying Dax makes or breaks us. But nobody can deny that for osu to take the next step we have to get better on defense and to do that we have to sign better players on defense.

Dax recruitment so far probably goes a bit like this:

-early on many thought Dax was going out of state. It seemed as if Ohio State and LSU were the leaders. OSU was in the mix.

-early on Ohio state was the leader. Ohio state loses defensive coaches and I’m pretty sure a key to Dax recruitment came about in that his family wants him to play closer to home.

-because Ohio state dropped a bit based on those things the local blue blood Oklahoma enters the picture. They have turned up the heat on Dax and there was room for them to enter after things cooled further away. I can tell you that the reason OU is in the mix is because of Kerry Cooks. Mike stoops won’t be the reason Dax would go to ou. If he goes it will be because of Kerry Cooks. The guy is a relentless recruiter.

Having said that OSU has always been there with Dax. That is a good sign but not good enough to feel good about getting him. We have been there amongst all the teams and in all his “top school” choices. We have been the constant.

-he may or may not play with his brother in college but having Justice here certainly doesn’t hurt us.

-let’s get this straight right now that OSU getting DeMarco Jones helped us big time. The two have been playing in the secondary together since 3rd grade. There is comfortability there. The WR recruit the following year at BTW that is said to be an ou lock won’t play that same level of impact with Dax. Also, having as many in state guys on our commit list working on Dax would be huge. Grayson Boomer helps and it would be nice to get Collin Clay, DeMaryion Houston, and Trace Ford on our commit list and put more in state work on Dax. However, Dax is going to pick for himself and nobody else.

-The move we made at DC could play a huge role in this. It showed we are going to take Defense seriously. As many have said I doubt we were gonna get Dax with Glenn Spencer as our DC. Let’s all hope our defense improves for many reason. Tim Duffie needs to really be an intrigal part of Dax recruitment. Dax wants to build and have a solid relationship with his position coach which is why Duffie needs to be so vital here. Again, ou is very much in this because of Kerry Cooks.

Dax Hill to me represents a step towards us taking the next step. To me the next step at osu is beating ou for a big 12 championship and playing in the playoff. We have always had great offenses at osu but we are matching those offenses with subpar to bad defense. We have to get better on that side of the ball. Getting Dax would be a step to us taking that step. We need better defensive players. We should be able to replace what we lose on the dline with some very good DT and DE prospects in this class. It’s a great year for that. If we can improve at LB under coach Knowles and add some difference makes in the secondary we will be in good shape.

Go lock up Dax!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News