ADVERTISEMENT

David “Magic Man” Taylor

AtownPoke

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2006
Corpus Christi
The fact that the nickname literally came from him and Kyle Dake hanging out and watching Talladega Nights in his basement as a kid is pretty damn funny. Dake said he took El Diablo but it just didn’t stick lol.

• Haha
Reactions: ctdub and Mr.OSU
The fact that the nickname literally came from him and Kyle Dake hanging out and watching Talladega Nights in his basement as a kid is pretty damn funny. Dake said he took El Diablo but it just didn’t stick lol.
Watched that tape of their rivalry. Would definitely be cherry on top to get Dake as the final assistant. Which I have heard is the plan.

You will learn quickly to love Thomas Gilman. He is loyal and all in for his team. It's now OSU. He is going to be a great head coach some day, so enjoy him while he lasts. Seriously, he's that good from all accounts.
You might be singing a different tune if he told Cael he was going to kick his ass and try to fight the entire team.

You might be singing a different tune if he told Cael he was going to kick his ass and try to fight the entire team.
I would be singing a different tune if Gilman had done that last year as a 29 year old grown a$$ man. He looked like a 19 or 20 year old in the video. My goodness, time to let it go. It's not like he punched a baby. He told off your coach in the heat of the moment. I'm glad none of us have ever looked foolish when we were 19. By all accounts, he learned to focus that emotion into intensity while maintaining that loyalty that he has for whomever he calls teammates.

Please send him back to PSU if he is disqualified for what happened 10 years ago.. He's been great with our lightweights. Daton seems to have forgiven him completely, and so should you.

A lot of our own liked AJ who was doing stuff on and off the mat. Gilman was just a competitor is it.

Reactions: dvpoke25
I would be singing a different tune if Gilman had done that last year as a 29 year old grown a$$ man. He looked like a 19 or 20 year old in the video. My goodness, time to let it go. It's not like he punched a baby. He told off your coach in the heat of the moment. I'm glad none of us have ever looked foolish when we were 19. By all accounts, he learned to focus that emotion into intensity while maintaining that loyalty that he has for whomever he calls teammates.

Please send him back to PSU if he is disqualified for what happened 10 years ago.. He's been great with our lightweights. Daton seems to have forgiven him completely, and so should you.
Yep

I'm not questioning his coaching ability or the fact that he has matured. Yes, he was young and competitive. I'm sure all those things are behind him and who he is now is what got him the job. Its just hard for a long time OSU wrestling fan to see a Iowa guy who had some not so subtle confrontation with our coaches and wrestlers now on staff. Even though its been 7-8 years, It just feels weird to me because OSU has been such a family/program loyal operation. Of course it was time for a change, and I am happy about the change, but change can be hard after having the same thing for 33 years. I'm happy for DT and glad he got the job, just think the Gilman move was/is a little awkward. I will grow to love him if he helps our guys make big jumps.

I'm not questioning his coaching ability or the fact that he has matured. Yes, he was young and competitive. I'm sure all those things are behind him and who he is now is what got him the job. Its just hard for a long time OSU wrestling fan to see a Iowa guy who had some not so subtle confrontation with our coaches and wrestlers now on staff. Even though its been 7-8 years, It just feels weird to me because OSU has been such a family/program loyal operation. Of course it was time for a change, and I am happy about the change, but change can be hard after having the same thing for 33 years. I'm happy for DT and glad he got the job, just think the Gilman move was/is a little awkward. I will grow to love him if he helps our guys make big jumps.
Watch what happens with 125-141 and Fix.

He's forgiven just based on the prospect of what I think happens.

Its just hard for a long time OSU wrestling fan to see a Iowa guy who had some not so subtle confrontation with our coaches and wrestlers now on staff. Even though its been 7-8 years, It just feels weird to me because OSU has been such a family/program loyal operation.
I agree with the feelings but it had nothing to do with any current on staff correct? It does appear he has changed, good for him, let's move on.

I agree with the feelings but it had nothing to do with any current on staff correct? It does appear he has changed, good for him, let's move on.
Maybe it's just me? But give me a guy that will fight an entire team, the coaching staff, the announcers, the janitor and some of the mouthy fans by himself.

Take a man with skills and panther balls...he's hard to stop.

He’s on the team. He’s a cowboy. He definitely will help Fix and other team members. He is a Jack A*. ISU has a complete staff full of Hawkeyes. They are doing a pretty good job up there. For these guys, who they coach for, they go to bat for.

Reactions: steer jock
He’s on the team. He’s a cowboy. He definitely will help Fix and other team members. He is a Jack A*. ISU has a complete staff full of Hawkeyes. They are doing a pretty good job up there. For these guys, who they coach for, they go to bat for.
Everyone has acted like a jackass when they're a kid, that doesn't mean they are a jackass now.

I had same feelings when Gilman moved over to NLWC. I will tell you, you're gonna get a guy that is loyal and all in on the team he is representing and he will be passionate about it too. It won't be long until you're feeling like he's been one of your own forever..

I had same feelings when Gilman moved over to NLWC. I will tell you, you're gonna get a guy that is loyal and all in on the team he is representing and he will be passionate about it too. It won't be long until you're feeling like he's been one of your own forever..
I'm with ya all the way. As a hawkeye I couldn't stand the guy and thought he was a punk who needed an ass whipping. As time has passed its obvious he's grown as a man. I've listened to quite a few of his interviews and there's no doubt I'd want him in my corner.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT