ADVERTISEMENT

Cowboy Roundup 1/5/07

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay F

Aug 4, 2004
First, the ground rules. For you new corral members, this is a special feature for subscribers only. The reason why it is posted on the premium board (as opposed to a normal story) is because it is the only way to ensure that the info stays exclusive to Cowboy fans. This will only work if everyone helps make it work.

Furthermore, we're serious about this being a Corral-only piece. Everything that is reported in the Cowboy Roundup must stay in the Cowboy Roundup. That's the way this deal works. Sometimes the info is sensitive enough that it simply doesn't need to be passed on beyond the doors of this thread.

We’ll start this week off on the defensive line where we talked to a current commitment along with a name to keep an eye on at the junior college level…

There have been some rumors floating around that Tyrell Higgins has been starting to receiver some interest from the Texas Longhorns after he played very well during Clemens playoff run.

The interest seems to only be that the Texas coaching staff may have requested some film on Higgins so that they may further evaluate him. I don’t believe that there is anything to worry about at this point for OSU fans but it certainly reaffirms the OSU staff’s ability to evaluate early talent.

Higgins versatility is where he may have an advantage once he arrives at the division one level because he played defensive end as a junior and defensive tackles as a senior. Now for where he wants to play in college, Higgins didn’t have a preference.

“I’d like to be just somewhere on the defensive line. I couldn’t care less where but that’s my only preference because I played defensive end as a junior and defensive tackle as a senior so I don’t really mind,” he said. (RC)

The lone junior college defensive lineman that I believe the OSU staff may keep an eye on is Blinn C.C. product Alex Cook. Cook mentioned that he hasn’t heard much lately from Oklahoma State and I believe that to be true as I don’t get a feeling that he is of the highest priority.

Having said that, Cook appears to be leaning towards Iowa State but don’t be surprised if the Cowboys make a very late push if they lose out on some of the other defensive prospects they are pursuing at other positions, most notably safety.

We talked to Cook this week and had him describe the best aspects of his game for those that have likely not seen any of his game film.

“I’d say my speed and my ability to avoid a block. I guess they say that I have a great technique and I know how to read a lineman,” he said.

Like most players heading to the division one level, Cook established that he could always continue to improve his strength. (JF)

Several people were wondering how serious Mart, Texas athlete Damien Davis about possibly playing both football and basketball at Oklahoma State.

I personally am not real sure if it would ever happen but Davis seems pretty intent on giving it a shot. In instances like this though, it clearly must be worked out between Coach Gundy and Coach Sutton and beyond that Davis would probably have to bring it up if he really wanted to pursue it.

It is a similar scenario to all the rumblings of Adarius Bowman and whoever else wanting to play basketball. That may happen and it may not but in either instance, I personally will believe it when I see it because Davis, like Bowman, will be considerably more valuable to the football team than he is the basketball team.

Of course all of this is predicated on the basketball team’s depth issues it has right now because I don’t think anyone would want Bowman to play basketball if they didn’t think he would be much help. That’s not to say that he would help this year’s basketball team much other than just being a practice body which evidences the notion that the thin bench is what propagated most of the initial talk anyway. (JF)

Again, we apologize that there is not much that is riveting news but with the dead period not a whole lot happens. We do expect there to be a more information next week and the week after leading up to and following the weekend of January 12 for obvious reasons.

Nevertheless, since there is minimal recruiting scoop to report this week, here is the best list that we could come up with for now of who all has and is supposed to official visit Oklahoma State. Obviously this is subject to change as time progresses but here is the current list to the best of our knowledge. Current commitments are in italics. (RC)

October 28-29

Jonathan Rush

November 24-25

Graig Cooper
Mickey Okafor
Christian Scott

December 8-9

Kenny Alexander
Grant Garner
Bret Harris
Ahmad Jones
Richetti Jones
Isaac Madison
Nick Martinez
Marcus Richardson
Tonga Tea

January 12-13

Hubert Anyiam
Jamie Blatnick
Dez Bryant
Josh Cooper
Damien Davis
Terance Farmer
Marquis Franklin
Jared Glover
Tyrell Higgins
Co-Eric Riley
James Thomas
Wilson Youman

January 19-20

January 26-27

Rodney Brisbon
This post was edited on 1/6 3:23 PM by Jay Fif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News