ADVERTISEMENT

Concealed Carry Folks, hop on in and help a newbie out!

EvilPOKES

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Apr 23, 2008
Earth
I put in my application for an Indiana Concealed Carry license and had a few questions for you guys/gals? I have shot a ton of rifles and shotguns before, but never a pistol. With all this madness that has been going on lately, my paranoia toward society has finally outgrown my anxiety toward carry myself. When I say anxiety, it is more of just keeping calm in situations that may eventually occur that would require a trigger pull, I feel now I am ready for that responsibility to protect myself and my wife.

What do you carry?

What style of holster do you prefer, why?

Any recommendations on caliber, models, etc.?

My initial search has me leaning toward an XD-S Sub-Compact .45 from Springfield. I have held it and thought the fit was nice with and without the extended grip/mag. I have, also, held a Bersa .380, a Glock G42 (.380), and a 9mm forget the brand/model. The Bersa and XD-S seemed to fit my hands the best, but I want to do some more sampling before the final decision.

I carry a S&W bodyguard .380. Its light and compact, and I if don't want to put it in a holster its small enough to carry in my pocket with minimal imprinting.

I'd definitely go to your local range and try to shoot the guns you are thinking about buying. You'll need to be comfortable with the trigger, and they're all going to be different.

Reactions: Deepfork
Small form factor 380s can be real snappy. I don't enjoy shooting them. As such I wouldn't practice enough to feel confident that I'd hit what I was aming at in a pressure situation.

That's why I went with a S&W 9mm shield. It is fun, so I shoot it more. I have an inside the waste band holster.

I have a few different guns I carry for different reasons (not all at the same time lol). I don't something small for me, I am not out that much and usally have my gun close by in the car.

Ruger American 9mm. Cheaper than most, no frills, and is a nice gun for those that are recoil sensitive. I didn't buy it for that reason, 9mm recoil doesn't bother me, but accurate shots, I dig those. Plus, it's cheap enough I don't really if I drop it all to hell and scratch it up. Comes with 3 different grip sizes.

Ruger security six .357. I keep this near the bed usually, but sometimes I carry it or put it in the truck. Big and heavy, but I have 6 for sure shots and can use .38 +P rounds if I wish. Mine is the 4 inch version, im thinking of getting a GP101 in a 2 inch, or even better, an 8 shot .357 smith and Wesson performance center in 2 inch.

And lastly...Colt .45 1911, either my M45A1 or Gold Cup. Again, all my guns are heavy, but that doesn't bother me. Most people look for the smaller concealment type guns, but I like a heavier gun for my hand. I have a couple of 10 shot mags for my 1911s.

I will say that to me, the ultimate carry gun for me would be the S&W 8 shot .357. You get the reliability of a revolver with 2 extra rounds. Grab a couple of 8 shot speed loaders and roll.

Go to a place that rents out guns and try them out first if you can.

I also have several different options.

I have the Glock 42 380. It is a decent all around handgun. I am not a fan of Glock's and hate plastic guns, but this checked a couple boxes for me (small form factor and smaller caliber). I don't like handguns without a hammer or safety. It's just too easy to grab the trigger when trying to remove from pocket or holster. I'll likely replace this with a mini 1911 style weapon when one is available in a metal frame that I like. Because this handgun doesn't have a safety, I choose to carry without a round chambered for everyone's protection. The trigger on this is Glock horrendous. There is probably a fix for it available, but I haven't checked.

I also carry a Ruger LCR 5 shot 38spl +P hammerless revolver. Again, with no hammer/safety, I will only carry this revolver in a holster. It's just too easy to use the trigger to pull it out of pocket/holster in a high pressure situation. The nice thing about a revolver is that you can leave it loaded forever without concern. It was a gift for taking a bunch of people hunting and is engraved from the factory with my name. I won't be selling this since it was a gift from the NRA. It's just too cool.

Both of the above are only good for 20 feet or so. They're both so small and the triggers are poor enough that I wouldn't feel confident shooting any further than that. That being said, most shots in an encounter are about 10 feet or less.

My favorite gun for carry is a smaller Wilson Combat 9mm 1911. It is a whole other level of price, though. I am very comfortable to 25 yards with my 1911's. I have no idea how far in a fight I might need to shoot, but these weapons work better for me and my shooting. That said, most Wilson's cost in excess of $3000, and plenty of makers produce fine smaller sized 1911's in 9mm, 40S&W, 45 ACP, etc. that can be purchased for much less than Wilson or other custom options.

1911's are by far my favorite and I will likely purchase a Browning 1911-380 if they ever make one in an all metal frame instead of polymer. It's possible that I would buy the polymer anyway. Then I can chamber a round and put on the safety and feel more comfortable.

3701.jpg

I carry this. Ruger LCP .380. Simply because I can put it in my back pocket with ease. The only drawback is there is no safety so I don't chamber one when I put it in my pocket for obvious reasons. Bought the Ruger 9mm at the same time. Keep it in the house.

Lots of good info here. Going to shoot some different guns is critical.

I'm not a huge guy, but my hands are kind of big. I just can't shoot the .380's but they are sure nice to carry. I have a few carry guns, but my go to is a S&W Shield in .40. Very light, easy to shoot.

It's hard to beat the Rugers or the XD's.

My next will be the Kimber pro carry 2 in .45.

What do you carry?

What style of holster do you prefer, why?

Any recommendations on caliber, models, etc.?

I carry a Kimber 1911 ultra carry 45 with laser grips.

Glaco V-Hawk holster inside the pant

I really wish I would have bought mine in a 9mm. I personally think 9mm is the best caliber to carry around. Not to big you lose accuracy and not to small it won't stop them.

Honestly I wish my S&W 357 mag wasn't so heavy I love that gun and it shoots to smooth.

I know a lot of guys who like Cross Breed and Aliengear. I've got Safariland, DeSantis, and a BCA from Bravo.

I didn't mention holsters. I may be in the minority, but I'm an inside the waistband in the small of my back. On the hip is too uncomfortable for me and in the middle of my back fits me perfectly. On my smaller guns, I just stick it in a pocket.

My thoughts are that if I need to quick draw, I'm probably screwed anyway.

Regarding hand size like DTS mentioned, I have smaller hands and most 9mm and up double stack magazines make the grip larger than I like. A single stack in a weapon makes the circumference smaller for my woman sized mitts. I also think that's why the shorter barrel length 1911's work so well for me. Shorter barrel makes the gun more portable and the grip circumference allows my short fingers to hold well but the length of the grip allows all 4 fingers plenty of room. The Glock 42 and other super small hand guns often leave a pinky or a pinky and ring finger dangling in the air a bit.

On a light note, I wish I could just throw my old M1 carbine in my truck and roll with that all the time lol. It's small and light enough heehee...

Reactions: panhndlpoke
On a light note, I wish I could just throw my old M1 carbine in my truck and roll with that all the time lol. It's small and light enough heehee...

No lie. I have a couple small rifles I would rather use in my car

Not a big fan of small of the back holsters. You have to draw it across your body and in a bad situation you are putting your arm in a position where it is easy for someone to grasp. My inside the waste band holster is very low profile. I wear it just on the inside of my right hip since I'm right handed. Otherwise I wear it cross draw in front of my left hip.

I just don't want to make it easier for someone to come up behind me and take it from the small of my back. But that is a comfortable place to wear it.

I also have a S&W 9mm full frame that I have an outside the waste band ALS holster for open carrying.

I got my grandfathers old m1 service weapon when he passed away. It was in pretty bad shape, so I removed the original stock which was all busted and put on a folding stock, heat guard, and a red dot scope. It's a fun little gun to thrown on my back when I'm filling up deer feeders or going fishing.

Went to Gander mountain last night to talk with the folks there and to get a feel for more hardguns. I am really gravitating toward the M&P Shield .40 . Just felt great in my hands. We have a local range and I will hopefully make it there tonight to test out a few live.

As for the holsters, for OWB holster, I am leaning toward a Blackhawk-Serpa . Like the fit and I like the locking mechanism. For the IWB holster, I am still looking, but my eyes have liked the AlienGear, HiddenHybrid (No Pic) , or the FoXx. I like those styles because the clips aren't in-line with the gun, it will make it just a little slimmer and more comfortable. I may, in the future, go with an ankle or shoulder strap when the weather changes and clothing will be thicker and bigger.

The help and chat is much appreciated.

Evil, the feel of the gun in your hand IMO is one of the most important things. You want a gun that feels good in your hand and you can shoot comfortably. Remember the whole reason of having this gun is in case of an emergency and you want that thing to be very smooth if you have to use it. I also suggest going and shooting the gun at least once a month. I make my wife go with me and I make here load, cock and fire the gun I keep by my bedside just in case something ever goes down and I am not home. You want muscle memory when dealing with these things in emergencies.

I carry a Sig P938. It is light and compact. I have other 9mm pistols so ammo is interchangeable. It's a little hard to clean compared to my other handguns. And it has a thumb safety, which I am a big fan of.

Evil, the feel of the gun in your hand IMO is one of the most important things. You want a gun that feels good in your hand and you can shoot comfortably. Remember the whole reason of having this gun is in case of an emergency and you want that thing to be very smooth if you have to use it. I also suggest going and shooting the gun at least once a month. I make my wife go with me and I make here load, cock and fire the gun I keep by my bedside just in case something ever goes down and I am not home. You want muscle memory when dealing with these things in emergencies.

This is very true, everything you just said.

I go to the range about once a week (DUH). And that's great and all, but when it comes to nut curtain time, I want to be able to pull the smoke wagon and get to work without a bunch of stupidity. I work on little scenarios here and there, and do some drills with my other guns as well. I have made wife do some of the same stuff since she's out and about more than I, plus she's 100 pounds after a dish of ice cream so fending off an asshole without ending up on the other side of her own gun is definitely paramount.

I have also made her practice with dummy rounds loading my .357 revolver. When at home, I would rather she have that first since it's going to be the least likely to give her fits when tunnel vision strikes.

Reactions: JonnyVito
True Rulz, I prefer my wife to have a simple DA revolver that is point and shoot. Getting her into any of the automatics seems to only complicate what needs to be immediate automatic reactions. I have that, she doesn't. I want something for her to be simple and efficient while also being something you can grab and use in the dark is better for her and probably for me too.

Last edited:
I have heard H & H offers a class that they teach you how to shoot in the dark. I guess they reserve one of shooting bays and will give lessons and even turn out the lights. I have wanted to take the class for a while just have to find the time.

Found the holster for IWB, HarveyHolsters. Found these at a gun store here in town. Locally owned, locally made, had to jump on it. Great quality, very sturdy build. Can't wait to really test it out when I get my license.

Inside. But, when it gets colder, I will carry outside if the attire let's me.

I have a S&W M&P 9mm and a S&W Bodyguard .380. I Love them both but the .380 is so much easier to conceal in a IWB. The Bodyguard is a great gun and very accurate. I am a brewer rep, so I carry out in the market and need max concealment so that my distributors don't know I have a gun. The .380 has a Crimson Trace Green Dot laser activated by the grip and I really like that.

Taking my new lady out for the first test run this weekend. Everyone I have spoken to says I made a great choice.

Last edited:
Lots of good info here. Going to shoot some different guns is critical.

I'm not a huge guy, but my hands are kind of big. I just can't shoot the .380's but they are sure nice to carry. I have a few carry guns, but my go to is a S&W Shield in .40. Very light, easy to shoot.

It's hard to beat the Rugers or the XD's.

My next will be the Kimber pro carry 2 in .45.
I know you know this but I love my Kimber Ultra CDP2. You need one.

Holy crap shooting pistols is fun. I have always enjoyed the rifles and shotguns with my grandpa (30+ year Remington employee), but something about the pistols was even more fun. Out of the box, I could consistently hit 2-liters, milk jugs, and soda cans from 15 meters. Got the sights dialed in quick. Friend brought his new FMK 9c1 G2 and I loved that gun, too.

Now I know why so many people shoot. It is very therapeutic, relaxing, and fun!

Holy crap shooting pistols is fun. I have always enjoyed the rifles and shotguns with my grandpa (30+ year Remington employee), but something about the pistols was even more fun. Out of the box, I could consistently hit 2-liters, milk jugs, and soda cans from 15 meters. Got the sights dialed in quick. Friend brought his new FMK 9c1 G2 and I loved that gun, too.

Now I know why so many people shoot. It is very therapeutic, relaxing, and fun!

That's it in a nutshell.

What surprises some is that my favorite pistol to shoot, by far, is my Taurus in .44 Mag. That thing just shoots so easy and is really accurate. It helps that it's ported, but the balance is good and the recoil goes directly back into my hand with almost zero muzzle flip.

I carry a Kel-tec .32 in my pocket almost all of the time. I own an XD .40 sub-compact but day in and day out, the bigger gun just sucks to carry under all conditions. I am constantly getting out of the car/truck, going places or to an activity (work out, little league coaching, etc) where I have to take it out for a bit. Slipping it out of my pocket is much easier than undressing, untucking etc. I know it's a little under-powered but I truly believe the fact that it goes bang, very loudly, will probably still end a situation or cause the coward to flee. A gun that is on your person is the one to carry. If I leave the bigger one behind it does me no good.

398607_02_kel_tec_p32_w_extras_640.jpg

Reactions: EvilPOKES
Evil gets it!

Yup, it's a blast. The next step (at least for me), was getting to where things are a bit "muscle memory", relying on my eye-hand coordination and trigger control to take quick shots without sights. I don't do the "weaver stance" with the strait arm and looking over the top of the gun (in my case, my Colt 1911) like the old military 1911 training videos, but just pretending I'm pointing with my finger and shooting where my eyes are targeting. It sounds hokey and impossible perhaps to some, but some of my law enforcement buddies have been doing this lately as well.

The distances I'm talking about aren't really that far, like 7-10 yards and whatnot. So it's not impossible. And the targets I hit are usually 5-10 inches on average. So none of this is "superhuman" or anything, although I do try to "aim small and miss small" at times lol. I did hit two playing card sized targets in a row one day firing from almost a "low ready" position from about 15 feet. And this is all one handed shooting, I can do this with my .45 but I'm not quite up to par with my 9mm Ruger. To me the 9mm snaps a bit more with the loads I have been using.

If I try to "aim" with this technique I'm less likely to hit, it has to be pretty quick, kinda like "your first best guess".

Anyway, it's been fun for me. I had a friend in the armed forces tell me about some special forces guys who practice taking shots after a long run. They are winded, and the object is to draw from the hip and fire while swinging the gun up, and hit the "target" in the head with accuracy. I don't know if he was blowing smoke or not, but that's what got me started on all this a couple years back. I won't do the "swinging" thing since that goes against what I deem is safe on a public range, but the quick shots with a good percentage of center mass hits is what I'm after.

Check out some Bob Munden videos. I suspect he was using some shot shells with some of that, but he definitely isn't when he hits thrown coins in the air. Amazing marksman, and he was apparently a very accomplished gunsmith as well.

Speaking of S&W...I just recently got one of these as a carry option for my wife. It's a model 327 Night Guard 8 shot .357 mag. For her I load it up with .38s or .38 plus P.

It's light but not terribly so, good for the way she's wanting to carry it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT