ADVERTISEMENT

Columbia and West Virginia

TheJimReaper

Starter
Aug 23, 2018
Oklahoma
Should be two easy duals for the Pokes. Two potential shutouts too if Gfeller and Plott are back.

what are y’all’s predictions?
For WV I’ll go:
125: Mastro dec Cardinale 3-0
133: Fix tech fall Dolan 8-0
141: Young maj dec Seibert 12-0
149: G dec Boyd 15-0
157: Sheets dec Hornfeck 18-0
165: Wittlake dec Hall 21-0
174: Plott maj dec Joll 25-0
184: Geer tech fall Carman 30-0
197: Ferrari tech fall Moomau 35-0
HWT: Surber dec Wolfgram 38-0

Itll be a tough weekend for Mastro as he’s wrestling Joe Manchio from Columbia who’s solid and then Killian Cardinale from WVU who took 7th last season. He should beat Manchio and I think he can beat Cardinale.

I could also maybe see us losing at 165. Hall is looking really good but Wittlake is better.

Last edited:
Reactions: osu2082
Biggest match of the weekend has to be Mastro vs Cardinale. Huge match for Mastro.

I will set the over/under on bonus point victories by the Cowboys in the 20 matches at 12.5.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
Cardinale took a MFF against McKee in the Scuffle finals. Protecting rankings/seeds has gotten really bad in D1.

Biggest match of the weekend has to be Mastro vs Cardinale. Huge match for Mastro.

I will set the over/under on bonus point victories by the Cowboys in the 20 matches at 12.5.

Mastro is one of the key wrestlers if we are really going to push for a NC this year. He needs to be able to beat guys like this.

Gonna be tough to wrestle a full match and then go against the #7 placer last year. But I guess that's kind of like tournament life.

Gonna be tough to wrestle a full match and then go against the #7 placer last year. But I guess that's kind of like tournament life.
We could be like other schools and forfeit 125 vs Columbia so Mastro is fresh.

Mastro is one of the key wrestlers if we are really going to push for a NC this year. He needs to be able to beat guys like this.
Agreed. And after watching Ayala vs McKee & Schroeder, the road doesn’t look any easier!

Ayala is very good. I noticed Iowa had him take neutral against Purdue (Schroder is tough on top).

Besides not ducking/forfeiting, that's something else John does differently. The other day, Wiscy had Amos take neutral against Bulsak (also tough on top). And years ago, PSU had freshman Suriano take neutral against Lizak. But when Carter Young wanted to go neutral against Wyoming, the coaches had him take bottom.

Ayala is very good. I noticed Iowa had him take neutral against Purdue (Schroder is tough on top).

Besides not ducking/forfeiting, that's something else John does differently. The other day, Wiscy had Amos take neutral against Bulsak (also tough on top). And years ago, PSU had freshman Suriano take neutral against Lizak. But when Carter Young wanted to go neutral against Wyoming, the coaches had him take bottom.
There was an interview with Chris Perry posted recently. They asked Chris about why we always make young guys take bottom. Chris said there are only a few guys out there that we would not take bottom against.
Most, if not all, title contenders cannot be ridden.
Figuring out a way to get out of the Penn State ankle sit/trap is what I am concerned about. You better move your ass off the whistle like your life depends on it.
Personally I think the rule should change to a 5 second call. The same as if the top guy goes to the ankle with a hand.

There was an interview with Chris Perry posted recently. They asked Chris about why we always make young guys take bottom. Chris said there are only a few guys out there that we would not take bottom against.
Most, if not all, title contenders cannot be ridden.
Figuring out a way to get out of the Penn State ankle sit/trap is what I am concerned about. You better move your ass off the whistle like your life depends on it.
Personally I think the rule should change to a 5 second call. The same as if the top guy goes to the ankle with a hand.
I think basically everyone except PSU fans believe sitting on the ankle is stalling.

There's a coach on the Ohio St forum that has attended the Penn St summer camps. He spoke to some of their wrestlers and apparently PSU spends a lot of time working on it in practice. He posted that there's a lot of nuances to setting it up and using it. Bo Nickal has a short youtube showing one way to set it up.

I think basically everyone except PSU fans believe sitting on the ankle is stalling.

There's a coach on the Ohio St forum that has attended the Penn St summer camps. He spoke to some of their wrestlers and apparently PSU spends a lot of time working on it in practice. He posted that there's a lot of nuances to setting it up and using it. Bo Nickal has a short youtube showing one way to set it up.
It’s hard to do, but have to eliminate as many subjective calls as possible. The goal is to have consistent officiating. A top man reaching back to lift an ankle gives the bottom man more of a chance to get away than sitting on the ankle/lower leg.

The riding discussion reminded me of a Rokfin survey from True Wrestling. He polled current D1 head coaches & assistants on a number of topics - one being best top wrestler. Surprisingly, Mike Sheets didn't make the list. Here were the leaders...

- Spencer Lee (11 votes)
- Zain Retherford (9)
- Mitch Clark (6)
- Jesse Jantzen, Kyle Dake, Gene Mills (5)
- Wade Schalles (4)
- Logan Stieber (3)

Then a bunch of guys with 1 or 2 votes.

The riding discussion reminded me of a Rokfin survey from True Wrestling. He polled current D1 head coaches & assistants on a number of topics - one being best top wrestler. Surprisingly, Mike Sheets didn't make the list. Here were the leaders...

- Spencer Lee (11 votes)
- Zain Retherford (9)
- Mitch Clark (6)
- Jesse Jantzen, Kyle Dake, Gene Mills (5)
- Wade Schalles (4)
- Logan Stieber (3)

Then a bunch of guys with 1 or 2 votes.
Mike Sheets was just slightly before my time. From what I’ve seen and heard he was as good as any on any list.

Reactions: Wrassler17
Spencer Lee and Zain Retherford getting twice as many votes as the others tells me that it is a bunch of young people voting. Is Spencer Lee better than Gable Steveson or AJ Ferrari on top? Are smaller guys easier to turn? I think so. I have no data to support that view, I may be mistaken.

Mike Sheets was just slightly before my time. From what I’ve seen and heard he was as good as any on any list.
Sheets was better than any on this list. To have Lee at the top is interesting, he is/was very good on top at scoring/turing with tilt, not so much as others riding. No one has score more points on top than Sheets Jr & Sr years, look at his individual match scores. Also no one will ever pass him because they added the TF rule.

Who is Brandon? Brandon Mason?
Look for a possible match w Columbia in Stilly on Sunday.
There is some hope. The Cowboy wrestling Twitter posted about the cancellation and they said kinda implied that they were trying to get something together so they can still wrestle.
Look for a possible match w Columbia in Stilly on Sunday.

I was thinking. Pitt would be a great replacement match for WVU. Especially if they could somehow get it to be a home match. They have two finalists. I doubt they’d be interested in doing it tho.

Looking at schedules, too bad they couldn't link up with Cornell Army. OSU wrestle Columbia & Cornell. Cornell also Army and Columbia also Army. Columbia by themselves is like an off day of practice.

Also appears a few east coast teams (Penn think one) cancelled out of events this weekend. Too bad we could have replaced them, air transport probably an issue.

Last edited:

Broken Arrow from the time Steve Dunlap was coach till Steve Allen left as coach all did this as well. Pretty good run at state titles doing that, but they also had the Iowa mentality of over working your opponent till he couldn’t keep up anymore.

Reactions: Wrassler17
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT