ADVERTISEMENT

childhood ADD

csh

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Is it BS? Legit? Meds? Therapy? Any good stories, for or against?
I have a seven year old nephew who is supposed to get evaluated pretty soon, at the recommendation of the teacher. The kid daydreams a lot, and the parents are having a hell of a time getting him to put effort into reading. He seems to be pretty sharp at everything else, and oddly enough has a pretty good vocabulary, weird.

It's a game changer if you have the right Dr. Is he a sensitive kid? The problems don't really stem from lack of attention, it's that they are hyper perceptive.

Find a guy that understands the sensitivity side of the equation, it's the blood/brain barrier interaction that's off. The chemical dumps pass through more freely in an ADD brain.

It's different for everyone, I've seen ADD drug doses as low as .5mg work and I've seen 1400mg work.

Reactions: CBradSmith and csh
I have a seven year old nephew who is supposed to get evaluated pretty soon, at the recommendation of the teacher. The kid daydreams a lot, and the parents are having a hell of a time getting him to put effort into reading. He seems to be pretty sharp at everything else, and oddly enough has a pretty good vocabulary, weird.

Don't rule out Asperger's Syndrome. Does he do well socially, with his peers?

Don't rule out Asperger's Syndrome. Does he do well socially, with his peers?
I think he's alright on that front. He seems to look forward to parties and stuff, likes hanging out with friends. If I was going to play doctor, I'd limit his time spent with electronics as a starter, and eat less junk. I realize that could apply to the majority of the population, myself included.

Having been diagnosed at a young age, I can say it is real, my wife who is a teacher used to tell me I was exaggerating, but shes seen me on and off meds and no longer gives me shit when ADD is brought up. Now if he does have ADD something that needs to be monitored by his parents is his mood, he's going to be different so this can be hard to detect. But when I first went on aderall in HS (switched from another med) it made me very moody, as in little things would really annoy me, I never brought it up because it was helping me concentrate and I had a good year in HS. I stopped taking it a few years after HS, and went back on it about 8 years ago and having the right dosage I do not have the same mood swings.

One thing I do want to add is... is he only having issues with reading? I ask because reading is so boring to me because I do not have "the minds eye", meaning I can not picture things in my head. So when I read I am not seeing things described in my head like most people. It's a long shot but you may ask him if he is able to visualize things in his head, specifically while he's reading. Just a thought.

I wish I'd have been diagnosed as a child. It's changed me tremendously.

My younger brother was diagnosed as a child and adderal was prescribed. He was to take it twice a day but he was embarrassed to have to take medicine and his teacher was a B. One day she asked him in front of the class, Jarod, did you not take your medicine today?

Ohhh holy shit. Not the right thing to say.

Anyway, since he wasn't taking his lunch time dose he was making straight A's in his morning classes and getting C's and D's and regularly getting detention in his afternoon classes.

After the incident with the teacher my parents talked to the counselor who started giving him his afternoon dose and just like that, straight A's in all classes and no more detention.

My mind is an absolute circus without Adderal.

Adderal is where you start. If you're still presenting, there is Quillivant or Vallvance that are easier. Usually in combo with an alpha or beta blocker.

Dosage is key.

Thanks for the replies, they've been interesting. I'm a science/engineering type, so I'm skeptical about pretty much everything. I hope/assume whatever series of doctors will hold off meds as the last resort. I'm a little queasy about seeing a developing brain on meds, but if it's standard operating procedure, then I guess it should be done.

It is scary and there are methods that don't use drugs that have some success. I know it's miserable to live with, it could be a great deal of help for him to talk to a peer that's going through the same thing. It's always nice to know other people process things like you.

the world is kinda of like that teacher
zero sensitivity understanding or tolerance for outliers.

add is tricky business and most important i believe is finding what works for the individual (be it holistic therapy dietary adjustments medication) in the environment they are required to flourish in.

i met with my sons teacher at a time of contentious divorce and she tells me he has trouble reading like she did so he sits up here at this desk next to mine.

unfortunately i was powerless in the situation and had to leave this meeting thinking sure lady he can't read so he sits next to you.

i say this because the default antidote was to dose him methylphenidate instead of understanding my kid and the difficult situation he was and is in.

Last edited:
You can do what my uncle did. beat it out of his kid and his grandkid. My cousin swore never to put his kid on meds after his experiences. But they are country so that method isn't for everyone.

You can do what my uncle did. beat it out of his kid and his grandkid. My cousin swore never to put his kid on meds after his experiences. But they are country so that method isn't for everyone.

that works great til they go private pyle/river phoenix on you

He's an idiot. He broke his kids like a dog. Are they still in Perkins?

He's an idiot. He broke his kids like a dog. Are they still in Perkins?

Yes he did and his son says it was the best thing for him. Being on medicine was the worst decision according to both of them. I remember seeing him at a Christmas music thing at the school. He was zoned out the whole time.

Alpha, i know what your personality is and how you deal disagreements. I'm not surprised by your name calling.

Tough love isn't for everyone but his parents and my grandparents had different lives and values. His kids are his best friends. I don't expect today's young adults that grew up like they did to understand a pair of hands that can love and discipline all in the same day. I can't believe anyone would want to compare kids today to the "broken like a dog" kids that built this nation. A lot of them could probably be labeled ADHD today.

What your uncle did was the worst thing he could do.

There really isn't any reason to be ignorant about any topic now. Five minutes of research on your part would shed some light on this for you.

He created pets.

Ok that's great you are wrong. Parenting doesn't take place in computer boxes or on blogs or from big pharma. I am sorry you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to my situation. These boys pets? Nonsense. I'm going to go ahead and believe me since I have thirty years empirical data and you are just an internet guy who has only known they existed for a couple hours.

For your kids I'm sure bippotybopbutrin and cheitronxyletol are great for them. I'm not saying you are an idiot for putting that stuff in their brains. There are success stories on your side. However there is still testosterone and being afraid of your dad out here in red Merica. It can cure a lot of sillyness and early discipline rewires the brain. Again it's not for everyone but I will show you a graph of dwindling physical discipline mirroring the rise in kids with behavioral problems.

This kid sounds remarkably normal. Day dreams? Doesn't like reading? fine vocabulary and social skills? Why is he even being tested?

Dude, hitting a kid with ADD is the worst thing you can do. They don't know why it's happening. They just start looking to you for every decision. I guess it's great if you want cheap labor.

Last edited:
Reactions: OSUIvan
hsh and alpha

i agree with you both

what i don't agree with is anyone passing judgement on how someone raises their kids

throw an immature ex into the mix and being a father gets inordinately complicated

my oldest son is in the final process of a service academy appointment which is diametrically opposed to the everybody gets a trophy style parenting that gets traction with more local government institutions that deal with children under 18.

This kid sounds remarkably normal. Day dreams? Doesn't like reading? fine vocabulary and social skills? Why is he even being tested?
Apparently he's the class leader in daydreaming, by a large margin. Because of age and performance in the first round, he is currently repeating 1st grade; but the reading progress hasn't advanced as much as everyone would like. I think there's a "what's the point" factor in the mix as well, but I'm not around that often to know for sure.

High Stick,

I had an uncle like that as well. His oldest son would wet the bed 3 or 4 times a week and my uncle was certain he could "beat that behavior" out of him. My cousin took a lickin' 3 or 4 times a week for about 3-4 yrs, and I'm talking full-on belt on ass skin (my cousin was about 12-15 when this went on.) Turns out my cousin had Type 1 Diabetes which was causing it.

As soon as he turned 18 he moved out of the house and a few years later moved to Florida and begged the family not to tell his dad where he was because he wanted nothing to do with the old man. When my uncle died, he moved back to be around the rest of his family.

If you believe that the best way to deal with a legitimate medical problem is by beating your kid, you're messed up. (BTW, I'm not a big believer in putting kids willy-nilly on drugs to deal with these issues either. But for many there is an underlying medical/physiological condition that is the underlying cause for the problem, and NO amount of beating is going to cure that.)

Reactions: shortbus
High Stick,

I had an uncle like that as well. His oldest son would wet the bed 3 or 4 times a week and my uncle was certain he could "beat that behavior" out of him. My cousin took a lickin' 3 or 4 times a week for about 3-4 yrs, and I'm talking full-on belt on ass skin (my cousin was about 12-15 when this went on.) Turns out my cousin had Type 1 Diabetes which was causing it.

As soon as he turned 18 he moved out of the house and a few years later moved to Florida and begged the family not to tell his dad where he was because he wanted nothing to do with the old man. When my uncle died, he moved back to be around the rest of his family.

If you believe that the best way to deal with a legitimate medical problem is by beating your kid, you're messed up. (BTW, I'm not a big believer in putting kids willy-nilly on drugs to deal with these issues either. But for many there is an underlying medical/physiological condition that is the underlying cause for the problem, and NO amount of beating is going to cure that.)

Yea so your example is a behavior while the kid was asleep? I'm not seeing the relevance to this. That is ****ed up.

HSH, I guess you are unaware that many parents believe that bedwetting is/was a behavioral problem? That it was some kind of passive/aggressive behavior that was designed in some manner to punish the parents? Believe it or not, that was not an uncommon approach back in the day, to blame it on the kid rather than even consider that there may be an underlying medical condition.

That is relevant to the discussion as it is tantamount to the notion that you can simply whip/punish a kid enough you can make their ADD go away.

"The second defining feature of ADHD is like the first. People with ADHD nervous systems ALWAYS have an intense, almost catastrophic emotional response to the perception that someone has withdrawn their love, approval, or respect and non-ADHD folks NEVER do (or at least not to the disruptive extent that ADHD people do). Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria and an Interest-Based Nervous System together can explain virtually all of the manifestations of ADHD."

Sounds like someone you should hit right?

Reactions: TheRedSon
Catastrophic response? Like Yellowstone national park super volcanoe blows up? I have some kids on my football team diagnosed with ADHD. One of whom according to his dr is an 11 on a scale from 1-10. Somehow when he has outbursts or doesn't listen a little running or push-ups or taking playing time away fixes him right up. Just like the other kids. It's weird.

I never said take away love. Never said that. I said physical punishment worked better than medicine. Right after it was over they would go hunting or hang out or whatever. Both kids will tell you their dad did the right thing, they appreciate it and their dad is their best friend. Sure they fight but their fathers love was never in question. But you are the expert on their situation. You sound invested in this diagnosis.

HSH, I guess you are unaware that many parents believe that bedwetting is/was a behavioral problem? That it was some kind of passive/aggressive behavior that was designed in some manner to punish the parents? Believe it or not, that was not an uncommon approach back in the day, to blame it on the kid rather than even consider that there may be an underlying medical condition.

That is relevant to the discussion as it is tantamount to the notion that you can simply whip/punish a kid enough you can make their ADD go away.

Yes I was unaware that pissing the bed is ever a behavioral issue. Good to know.

I also think parents who let their kids cry at bedtime are assholes and they should be aloud to sleep with their parents until three years old.

You are awfully rude for being such a cuck on this issue. What if I have a disorder and you damage my nervous system?

Your nephew was zombied on what I'm guessing was a starter dose. Those kids don't have the physiology you do. They don't think anything like you. The low dose kids are basically little empaths.

Your moronic SJW stance of no knowledge just loud isn't playing with me.

Keep on talking. I've got all day to show everyone how simple you really are.

Somehow when he has outbursts or doesn't listen a little running or push-ups or taking playing time away fixes him right up. Just like the other kids. It's weird.
This is an area where I hope due diligence is being done, but I'm not around enough to really know.

Catastrophic response? Like Yellowstone national park super volcanoe blows up? I have some kids on my football team diagnosed with ADHD. One of whom according to his dr is an 11 on a scale from 1-10. Somehow when he has outbursts or doesn't listen a little running or push-ups or taking playing time away fixes him right up. Just like the other kids. It's weird.

It's not weird at all.

I bet most of them are fantastic after a few laps or push ups.

You know what the best medication I ever got for ADHD was? A bicycle. Physical exercise, especially the kind you don't have to focus on like running (as opposed to running/learning a play in football) is great for ADHD.

Reactions: Alpha Poke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT