ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Withers passes at 81

Awww man... so many great songs. You could just feel the emotion in his lyrics & voice.

RIP

I read a hilarious comment once on the above clip... "The drummer knows where she's gone."

Last edited:
I think I was first introduced to Bill Withers when I was in the 5th grade...1984ish?

My best friend throughout HS moved to my hometown when we were in the 4th grade. He had one older brother. I didn't know it at the time, but his father was in prison. His mother had a disease... Lupus, maybe? Anyway, she died suddenly & unexpected when we were in the 5th grade. He and his brother then moved in with their grandparents. (Each of whom died before we graduated HS... but that's another story.)

Anyway, I remember one of our teachers gave my best friend Lean on Me after his Mom died. Now, I can't hear that song without thinking of my friend and that time.

I was just a Stillwater boy but in the summer of 72 I was living with my aunt and uncle in Fountain Valley California the year before my senior year in high school. I was swimming for Phillips 66 Long Beach.

When I wasn’t at practice I was driving my uncles convertible corvair, with a hang ten shirt on, a surfboard in the other seat......and “Lean on Me” blaring on the radio heading to Huntington Beach!! I’m pretty sure it was #1 that summer!

That summer a few us also went to the Hollywood Bowl to hear the Grateful Dead!!

It was a great summer!

RIP Bill Withers..... one of my favorites!

Reactions: Chillwell
My favorite song of his.

I am listening to a special about him on Sirius. Had an interesting life and career. Not a good looking guy who stuttered. Rejected by the first 9 record labels he went to. Never had a manager, which cost him a lot opportunities and money. Also a bitter guy who gave who had a pretty short career.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT