ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12s

Mastro M.O. is he won't start his offense until he's down in the 3rd period. Luckily its a free year, but hopefully next year he snaps out of it.

Reactions: osu2082
Mastro M.O. is he won't start his offense until he's down in the 3rd period. Luckily its a free year, but hopefully next year he snaps out of it.

Shortened year was always going to be tough on FR. His Covid and mono put him even further back. All of this experience and it being a free year will be really good for him.

I absolutely hate the mentality of some of our guys. I understand not shooting or attempting to initiate offense if your completely outclassed. However, we have guys who are competitive with their opponent who simply won’t attempt an offensive move. One of the things which currently separates us from the Iowa’s and Penn State’s of the wrestling world. Hopefully JS can light a fire under a few guys next season.

Reactions: skylinepoke
Greer loses 6-2. Zero offense. A common theme today for the Cowboys

Oklahoma just got 3 or 4 pins to vault themselves into the team point lead. How the F did that happen. Wyoming is also hanging around as well.

Piss poor
Basically we wrestled our typical poor performance. I just watched G lose to who knows who that guy was. Wrestled without aggression and poor mentally. Sheets is injured but he did not wrestle smart. Ferrari and Daton wrestled good and nobody else did. Wittlake who has wrestled so solid this year seemed to panic and blew so many takedowns which eventually cost him the match. We might lose the Big 12 Tournament with this poor performance. Also I hope that Austin Harris does not wrestle another year as our starting HWT( He tries but). Also let Montalvo plan to wrestle 184 next year and let Geer call it a career.

Last edited:
Basically we wrestled our typical poor performance. I just watched G lose to who knows who that guy was. Wrestled without aggression and poor mentally. Sheets is injured but he did not wrestle smart. Ferrari and Daton wrestled good and nobody else did. Wittlake who has wrestled so solid this year seemed to panic and blew so many takedowns which eventually cost him the match. We might lose the Big 12 Tournament with this poor performance. Also I hope that Austin Harris does not wrestle another year as our starting HWT( He tries but). Also let Montalvo plan to wrestle 184 next year and let Geer call it a career.
Here is the real irony that OU is 10 points ahead of us. Which is shocking. We should still win this but our wrestlers losing so much and when they are ahead not pushing for extra points ( Boo) could cost us the Tournament. This is why I don't include Boo as wrestling good.

Reactions: KILLEVIDENT
Injuries at 141 (times 2) 157 and 174 was going to mean a small margin for error this weekend but there were several other very disappointing performances today.

Witlake can’t lose to a guy like that ever. Geer has also been a major disappointment and not being able to have a HWT the last 2 years at a school like OSU is inexcusable.

It’s more than just injuries or non scoring weights. Today’s tournament scoring rewards offense. Our style (at least of late) isn’t conducive to winning national championships. I assume part of the problem is a general lack of high end talent but when you watch Penn State wrestle you see seven minutes of action. You see guys trying to get bonus points especially pins. Something needs to change whether it’s talent or style or both.

Reactions: dvpoke25
Shortened year was always going to be tough on FR. His Covid and mono put him even further back. All of this experience and it being a free year will be really good for him.

kid need a RS year..but at the same he's getting one now...only his matches count towards the team score. Talent isn't the issue as much as lack of experience and confidence. Kid's upside is tremendous and will figure it out with a true off-season and preseason.

What a disappointing day!

I could have lived with most of our crap except for Witlake. His lack of aggression is troubling although the other wrestler did a great job of scrambling when Witlake did get a leg. Mastro shouldn’t be wrestling this year, he is very unaggressive and not strong enough to handle older wrestlers.
AJ was awesome as he mixed aggression with balanced counters to mentally defeat the top seed. I don’t think he is strong enough to beat Adams this year but next year will be fun.
Way to many mouthy gooner fans at the BOK. May be a brawl in section 120 tomorrow.

Like I said before...this season is a wash. The results isn't surprising up to this point. We've been decimated with injuries, and up to the big XII's...this team wasn't wrestling all that well. Always said the conference tourney was going to be close and wasn't automatic as years past. Hopefully we pull it together sunday. This is the only trophy we can win this season as there is no way in hell we contending for a team trophy in the NCAA's. Hell, we'll be lucky to finish in the top 10.

I called this! OU is back, Baby!

Just kidding, I’m in as much shock as you guys.

Two big differences between the year and the tournament for OU is how Madrigal and Mantanona are wrestling. Both have had horrid years, and both are currently wrestling like they did last year. Kind of frustrating as. a fan, but glad to see the light come on finally.

Tomorrow should be interesting. I haven’t seen an updated bracket to see who the OU guys are going to be wrestling. We’ve done well so far as I don’t think we’ve lost to a higher seed, and we’ve beaten a few guys seeded ahead of us. Plus, we’ve had about four or five pins I believe.

It just feels strange leading OSU. Sorry to see the injuries to the OSU squad. Hopefully they’ll be able to rebound for next year.

Reactions: Kenny Orange Powers
Micco, by my foggy memory of today, the sooners have finalist at 133(Fix), 141(Parker), and 149(Boo). They did wrestle very well and certainly wrestled above their seeds.

What a disappointing day!

I could have lived with most of our crap except for Witlake. His lack of aggression is troubling although the other wrestler did a great job of scrambling when Witlake did get a leg. Mastro shouldn’t be wrestling this year, he is very unaggressive and not strong enough to handle older wrestlers.
AJ was awesome as he mixed aggression with balanced counters to mentally defeat the top seed. I don’t think he is strong enough to beat Adams this year but next year will be fun.
Way to many mouthy gooner fans at the BOK. May be a brawl in section 120 tomorrow.
Did you think mastro was the favorite?

It’s more than just injuries or non scoring weights. Today’s tournament scoring rewards offense. Our style (at least of late) isn’t conducive to winning national championships. I assume part of the problem is a general lack of high end talent but when you watch Penn State wrestle you see seven minutes of action. You see guys trying to get bonus points especially pins. Something needs to change whether it’s talent or style or both.

Nothing is going to change until there is change at the top
I don't think we win another NCAA team champ until that change is made
(I would love to be wrong, I just don't think I will be)

We've been treading water or losing ground for years

The lack of high end talent is an excuse and I've heard it for years

Mike Holder never made excuses
Gary Ward never made excuses

OSU wrestling is the greatest college sports program of all time. That requires special stewardship but comes with extraordinary responsibility.

Is it responsible to go 15 years without a national championship?

Are 5 Championships in 30 years good stewardship of this program?

It is my opinion that our current leadership has fully demonstrated that it is not capable of the kind of forward-thinking and effort it takes.

I've been attending and watching matches since the 1960's and I will continue to do so.

But we need a difference maker. We don't currently have one, in my opinion.

I realize change guarantees nothing but doing nothing guarantees repeating past results.

So I ask again, are those results good enough?

Reactions: cearle462
There weren't a ton of positives today, but here are a couple...

Daton has a legit leg attack. He hit a high crotch in the O/B, hit it at bedlam, and hit it a bunch today. That bodes well not only for Nationals, but also for freestyle.

AJ faced the best top guy at 197, yet it was AJ who earned riding time.

OSU wrestling is the greatest college sports program of all time. That requires special stewardship but comes with extraordinary responsibility.

Is it responsible to go 15 years without a national championship?

Are 5 Championships in 30 years good stewardship of this program?

It is my opinion that our current leadership has fully demonstrated that it is not capable of the kind of forward-thinking and effort it takes.

I've been attending and watching matches since the 1960's and I will continue to do so.

But we need a difference maker. We don't currently have one, in my opinion.

I realize change guarantees nothing but doing nothing guarantees repeating past results.

So I ask again, are those results good enough?
So if you are going to make a change (assuming you mean the coach? ), you have to have a plan and I don’t see anyone who can do better than John. And it would be hard to find someone who would be the same.

John has earned the right to go out on his own terms. I do agree that changes need to be made. We’re treading water at best. Slowly drowning at worst. We need a high level RTC program.

John has earned the right to go out on his own terms. I do agree that changes need to be made. We’re treading water at best. Slowly drowning at worst. We need a high level RTC program.
More bad news is after the bad first round Penn. St rebounded and have outperformed their seeds by a bunch according to the Flo wrestling guys watching the Big 10 and Big 12 Championships. They have really wrestled good in the wrestlebacks and have RBY, Lee, Starocci, and Brooks in the finals.

More bad news is after the bad first round Penn. St rebounded and have outperformed their seeds by a bunch according to the Flo wrestling guys watching the Big 10 and Big 12 Championships. They have really wrestled good in the wrestlebacks and have RBY, Lee, Starocci, and Brooks in the finals.

Cael understands tournament scoring and coaches his wrestlers accordingly. To be fair he also recruits extremely well and has a world class RTC supporting his program. Iowa also seems to be on an upswing. Not sure the Brand boys can maintain it but they have a great team this year for sure

There weren't a ton of positives today, but here are a couple...

Daton has a legit leg attack. He hit a high crotch in the O/B, hit it at bedlam, and hit it a bunch today. That bodes well not only for Nationals, but also for freestyle.

AJ faced the best top guy at 197, yet it was AJ who earned riding time.

AJ kicked the crap out of his guy today
that kid won’t beat him on his best day

this wyoming kid he meets in the finals is tough as hell

you really don’t have a grasp on the landscape of college wrestling

you really don’t have a grasp on the landscape of college wrestling

The essence of my post is all about the landscape of college wrestling. It has changed drastically. I have watched it for 55 years.

Are we changing with it? Are we adapting to it? Are we just letting it pass us by?

It's people like you that say "its changing, nothing we can do"
It's people like me saying "its changing, lets do something about it"

I love John Smith. He is the greatest American wrestler ever! He loves OSU, clearly.

But why aren't we adapting to the change better? I know why....do you?

Why can't these questions be asked?

Reactions: lookleft goright
Mastro couldn't get off bottom and G'Feller just medical forfeited.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT