ADVERTISEMENT

Bedlam

It’s possible that coach smith wanted to test Mastro’s injuries, specifically on bottom, to see how to address them in the next two weeks. He was also probably hoping mastro would ride the momentum from Surber’s win and wrestle with more heart.

No doubt the 2 most frustrating guys this year for me have been Mastro and Wittlake. I know Mastro only has 2 losses on the year and he has been beat up but it’s like we are watching 2 completely different guys at 125. And for Wittlake it’s just frustrating to see someone face the top guys at his weight that he mentally doesn’t appear to have the confidence to beat.

I thought all the guys who won yesterday wrestled tough and the guys who lost didn’t. Look at Mastro and Geer and it really came down to that. I can’t say much on 157, 165 and 197. But I do agree that it’s a little frustrating we don’t have more depth at our middle weights and guys who are ready to be competitive. I hope Sheets and Wittlake get healthy and are back soon bc we desperately need them in order to win big 12
John said last night that Sheets will be back wrestling later this week but Wittlake is more questionable. The Big 12 and Nationals could be very ugly for us this year.

I know he was on the fence about coming back this year.I was disappointed that he did not come out at intermission with the rest of his senior teammates.
he went through senior day last year, which may have had something to do with not coming out this year

It appeared to me that Mastro chose that on his own.
He did not choose down on his own. I watched on ESPN+ due to another committment and had to watch on replay so it was after 10pm last night when I watched it. Mastro looked over to John who told him to go down. He also reinjured his high ankle sprain which Leroy and J pointed out at the time. I do agree that John made a mistake having him go down. He looked better on his feet against Prata and had to have a takedown to tie or win in regulation. However, I am not going to 2nd guess John as I do not know the extent of his injury. My recap after watching the replay. Carter Young looked better on his feet than he has all year and this match may just give him the full confidence he needs to go full bore the rest of the way as he has nothing to lose and this is the path he needs to take. Gfeller again looked good and beat a good wrestler. Manibog avoided a major which was a win for us and give him credit because he learned only last week he would be the starter. Grello was just too strong for Harper. I do not want to sound negative against Plott in his win but he just has not looked like the Plott of old all year. He can eke out close wins against mediocre wrestlers and does not get embarrassed by the top wrestlers but no way he has earned #8 seeding. Geer's forte is wearing down his opponent but it did not happen in this match. I applaud Stika for his service this year in a very difficult if not impossible situation. Luke Surber is going to be very good in the future. That was one of the most exciting HWT matches I have seen and he never gave up on his 2nd Period takedown despite great counter moves by Heinselman. Fix got a major despite Madrigal's obvious stalling and I have already discussed Mastro and Young. It was not pretty but it was a win primarily due to Young and Surber.
LETS GO POKES!!!

Carter Young looked better on his feet than he has all year and this match may just give him the full confidence he needs to go full bore the rest of the way as he has nothing to lose and this is the path he needs to take.
The gunslinger approach is gonna hurt him a lot more than help him. The problem is that his wild attacks don't lead to clean finishes. He can get to the legs, but he ends up wrestling from his knees. To stop quick go behinds, he throws out his arms and ends up with his head on the mat. With his arms out and head on the mat, he has can't stay square and get back to his feet.

In short, I'm not sure it's confidence he lacks.

This is, honestly, why I'm a bit heavy handed on the positivity. We need to flip the way we think about this team. What happened when Spencer Lee went down this season? Iowa fans started claiming that Drake Ayala is going to be a national champ and that they're still going to win a title.

And what happened? Rankers put Ayala in the top 8, and Iowa maintained that #2 spot. They aren't coming within 30 points of a national title this year. Penn State is going to cruise with it. But has that stopped them? No.

We need to adopt that and be positive about our program. Is everything perfect? Hell no. Has it been an awful month? Absolutely. The worst I can remember.

But the talent on this team, top-to-bottom, is there. They just need to get their minds right and get healthy.
Amen to this. Thanks for saying something. I get being frustrated - I am too as a local boy that's been a Poke fan since the 90s, and grew up expecting shutouts and NCs - but some of y'alls posts are straight up downers, lol. The criticism usually isn't wrong and heck maybe it eventually trickles down to the coaches and informs how they shape their training (or to the wrestlers themselves and it somehow resonates with them in a way that the matches themselves or the films do not), which would be the best case scenario I think for criticism on this board. I guess I just prefer to focus on the positives, cheer for our guys regardless, and when I end up being excessively grumpy I just try to remind myself that they're kids, it's a sport, and hopefully they improve as human beings with or without NCs.
this is how these matches used to be...close. But it was because both teams were very good.
OU can bring the heat when they want to.
The gunslinger approach is gonna hurt him a lot more than help him. The problem is that his wild attacks don't lead to clean finishes. He can get to the legs, but he ends up wrestling from his knees. To stop quick go behinds, he throws out his arms and ends up with his head on the mat. With his arms out and head on the mat, he has can't stay square and get back to his feet.

In short, I'm not sure it's confidence he lacks.
I do agree and it reminds me of when Kaid would take shot after shot and eventually get reversed or nearfalled simply because his opponent knew all he had to do was wait for him to take a bad shot. I think Carter has massive potential and I'm excited to see how he progresses as he refines his technique and mental game!

Reactions: DPJ and turfpoke
It looked like G and Wyatt were both out for senior day. G’s victory celebration looked like a goodbye. Can we assume that they are finished? Both have another year of eligibility remaining. We’ve got Voinovich at 149 and Anthony Ferrari and Jordan Williams at 157.

Last edited:
It looked like G and Wyatt were both out for senior day. G’s victory celebration looked like a goodbye. Can we assume that they are finished? Both have another year of eligibility remaining. We’ve got Voinovich at 149 and Anthony Ferrari and Jordan Williams at 157.
I think Wyatt is done after this year, in some matches looks like he is already mentally done. I think G's return depends on how nationals pan out. If he wins big12 and AA's why would he not want to return and why would the coaches not be pushing for him to?

Did coach Smith mention anything about Mastro or Wittlake on his radio show tonight?

I think Wyatt is done after this year, in some matches looks like he is already mentally done. I think G's return depends on how nationals pan out. If he wins big12 and AA's why would he not want to return and why would the coaches not be pushing for him to?
Per Pokes Report:

"Yeah, that was awesome," Gfeller said. "It was a great way to win my last match in Gallagher and for it to be like that was amazing."

Reactions: driad and DPJ
Per Pokes Report:

"Yeah, that was awesome," Gfeller said. "It was a great way to win my last match in Gallagher and for it to be like that was amazing."
Well I guess he’s thinking he is. I will say this about G, he has been the second most consistent wrestler on the team this year. I know he hasn’t faced a lot of top guys but take that Stanford dual out and he’s been leaving it out there. Apparently he was beating up on Voinovich in the room early on. Not sure if that’s changed, but if he’s still beating him and goes on to win big12 and AA’s wouldn’t it be a good idea for the coaches to try and bring him back? Voinovich could bump up to 157 for a year and then redshirt fearri and Williams. Just some thoughts, but obviously we need to wait and see what happens in the next month.

Last edited:
Reactions: DPJ
Per Pokes Report:

They played a video of Gfeller at the match, he talked like he was for sure through.

If he escaped in under a minute he had 3 minutes to get one.
the odds of him getting a takedown were much higher than getting an escape. He has taken down a lot of wrestlers but there are a lot of them that have ridden him.

the odds of him getting a takedown were much higher than getting an escape. He has taken down a lot of wrestlers but there are a lot of them that have ridden him.

If he is going to have any success this postseason injured or not, he is going to have to be able to get out from bottom. He probably has been pretty limited in the room and needs the work. I don’t love it with the dual on the line but it is whats best for the wrestler if there are any goals left for him this year.

Reactions: turfpoke
If he is going to have any success this postseason injured or not, he is going to have to be able to get out from bottom. He probably has been pretty limited in the room and needs the work. I don’t love it with the dual on the line but it is whats best for the wrestler if there are any goals left for him this year.
What’s going to happen the first time he gets taken down in the first period? If he can’t get off bottom his season is over. John can have him pick top if he wants. I don’t care. He’s the coach and has a plan for him. It’s probably a very short list of good folk style wrestlers that couldn’t get off bottom.

Mastro is banged up, he shouldn't have even wrestled last weekend IMO. By wrestling & losing, he'll now drop in the coaches' panel rankings. And how do you choose neutral against Iowa & Bucknell, then choose bottom against OU? Doesn't make sense to me.

Last week, Yonger Bastida was losing 3-0 to Rocky Elam heading into the 3rd. ISU had Bastida take neutral - he got 3 TDs to tie it and then another in SV to win.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
Well I guess he’s thinking he is. I will say this about G, he has been the second most consistent wrestler on the team this year. I know he hasn’t faced a lot of top guys but take that Stanford dual out and he’s been leaving it out there. Apparently he was beating up on Voinovich in the room early on. Not sure if that’s changed, but if he’s still beating him and goes on to win big12 and AA’s wouldn’t it be a good idea for the coaches to try and bring him back? Voinovich could bump up to 157 for a year and then redshirt fearri and Williams. Just some thoughts, but obviously we need to wait and see what happens in the next month.

Don't think Voinovich will be going up to 157. Plan for him is to be 149.

Trevor Mastrogiovannit will likely go at 157... provided he can stay healthy.

So it looks like we are predicting Voinovich at 149 and Travis Mastro at 157 next year. Where does Anthony Fearri and Jordan Williams fit into the mix in 2 years? Also, when do you redshirt Carter Young, if at all?

So it looks like we are predicting Voinovich at 149 and Travis Mastro at 157 next year. Where does Anthony Fearri and Jordan Williams fit into the mix in 2 years? Also, when do you redshirt Carter Young, if at all?

Honestly I would like to see them try to gray shirt Anthony.

Luke Mechler may also be a factor at those weights.

• Wow
Reactions: JAY45
If you grayshirt Anthony then he cant practice with the team and is not enrolled at the university, correct? so where does he get his time in on the mat to improve? Cowboy RTC?

If you grayshirt Anthony then he cant practice with the team and is not enrolled at the university, correct? so where does he get his time in on the mat to improve? Cowboy RTC?
"Can't practice with the team" is a gray area for gray shirts... I'd like somebody to tell me with a straight face that Aaron Brooks and Carter Starrocci didn't practice with the Penn State team or that the guys at the Finger Lakes Prep Academy didn't do the same with Cornell.

But yeah if he's enrolled at NOC and happens to be at practice that is the deal that would need to be made.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
This is hypothetical. I don't think they'll grayshirt anybody because... well... gray areas and NCAA fear are rooted deep in our program.

"Can't practice with the team" is a gray area for gray shirts... I'd like somebody to tell me with a straight face that Aaron Brooks and Carter Starrocci didn't practice with the Penn State team or that the guys at the Finger Lakes Prep Academy didn't do the same with Cornell.

But yeah if he's enrolled at NOC and happens to be at practice that is the deal that would need to be made.
if he is enrolled at NOC, or elsewhere, more than half time (6 hours) his clock starts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT