ADVERTISEMENT

Beard nixes committment to Northwestern

oberebo

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Oct 30, 2005
Shawnee,OK
Michael Beard has informed Northwestern that he is withdrawing his committment. He is ranked 5th of all the wrestlers on Flo's Big Board for 2018 and projected to be a 184-197 pounder in college. The article indicates that the other favorites were Penn State and Cornell. I wonder if our coaches have looked at him?

Penn St also flipped Teasdale. Not that it should shock anybody but they are KILLING it in the 2018 class.

The separation in regards to talent coming to campus is worrying.

I find it interesting how these flips have come shortly after NCAAs...what I mean is that the tournament itself and all it's coverage is as big as a recruiting tool as anything. Watching PSU run out 5 champs in a row would excite anyone about going there.... on the flip side when you only put 1 in the finals it has to impact recruits to a point.....when you send 8 to the tournament and get 32nd..... well OU has its work cut out for them.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Regarding recruiting upper weights besides Beard possibly are there any guesses/knowledge on who we are actively recruiting? Does anyone think we might get a bigger coach in the room anytime soon? Just seems to me that PSU, Ohio State, Minn, Michigan, can't have all the top 10 big guys ( 174-Hwt) every year. Sorry if this has already been discussed and I missed in in the thread.

Reactions: LANDONAMBERSOCCER
What is the health and status of the Cowboy wrestling club comparative to what is at OhSt and PSU?
As a former member of the Cowboy wrestling club I will say it is a fund raiser for wrestling in that each member pays in $250.00 annually and for a husband and wife it is $500.00. I just can not afford it any more. You receive a gift usually a jacket which reduces the donation to about $175.00 to 200.00. They sponsor a few meals after home matches but not many (2-3) if my recollection is correct.
The rest goes to the program but it is left up to individual members to donate any other monies and this is where the people with more money can contribute and do. It is not active in recruiting and there is no real input on recruiting or coaches. You do generally get to meet the wrestlers at least at one of the after tournament buffets. In the past some funds have come from the wrestling camps that John and Mark Perry put on during the summer and I will stand corrected but I believe the bulk of these monies goes to those two-I could be wrong on this and need someone to correct or amend this statement. The other benefit in joining the club is that you get Posse parking. The good fireman is a member still and he can add to this if he chooses to do so. I believe but not certain that all 9.9 scholarships are endowed. I do believe where we might fall behind a Penn State is monies for hiring wrestling club coaches. I understand we pay these club coaches much less than a Penn State and have fewer of them.

Reactions: osu2082
As a former member of the Cowboy wrestling club I will say it is a fund raiser for wrestling in that each member pays in $250.00 annually and for a husband and wife it is $500.00.

How much is it for a Father/Son type deal? Is there a discount if I leave the wife at home?

Reactions: PSU James
Does anyone else think all of these changes are due to pressure from coaches, fans, family to commit earlier in the process? I mean there have been 9th graders committing. A lot can change even in one year.

I don't count them as in until the name is on the dotted line...

I find it interesting how these flips have come shortly after NCAAs...what I mean is that the tournament itself and all it's coverage is as big as a recruiting tool as anything. Watching PSU run out 5 champs in a row would excite anyone about going there.... on the flip side when you only put 1 in the finals it has to impact recruits to a point.....when you send 8 to the tournament and get 32nd..... well OU has its work cut out for them.
Some good news for the sooners with Tanner Litteral pinning Murin ( going to IOWA) at the Old Dapper Dan dual meet. He was very impressive and could win the outstanding wrestler for United States. How come Fix didn't wrestle when Lee dropped out. DeSanto who beat Lee was very impressive breaking Mejaes a 4 time California state champ.

Thanks for the update on Litteral, Harley.

Currently, OU's recruiting class is a top three class. Seven kids rated in the top 100. Most are rated in the top 5 or 6 in their individual weight class. We need to continue on this path with recruiting. What we don't have is the "elite" kid. A Daton Fix or Spencer Lee, someone who you just KNOW will be a top level kid for you. We're so depleted of top talent right now, I expect it'll take a few years to get back to the level of the early 2000's. But I have hope Rosselli can turn it around.

Gfeller told me last week that he was going to wrestle in the dapper dan in place of gomez but for some reason he didn't wrestle and they picked litteral instead. I know that Gfellar is wrestling in the dream team classic sometime in April. He does lessons with my son and is looking the biggest I have ever seen him, so im curious on what weight he is wrestling in that. Also I was wondering if anyone knew if Fix was wrestling in that Dream Team classic as well?

Regarding recruiting upper weights besides Beard possibly are there any guesses/knowledge on who we are actively recruiting? Does anyone think we might get a bigger coach in the room anytime soon? Just seems to me that PSU, Ohio State, Minn, Michigan, can't have all the top 10 big guys ( 174-Hwt) every year. Sorry if this has already been discussed and I missed in in the thread.

The money should be spent to bring on an upper weight coach sooner rather than later. Think what having someone like Gwiz from NC State or another appealing workout partner would look like when recruiting. In our heyday, we had Cormier, Mocco, Lawal, and Munoz for a short period of time. Not so much since, unfortunately.

This may be an old question that no one wants to talk about but why can't Pat Smith come back. It seems to me he has spent his time in Purgatory.

This may be an old question that no one wants to talk about but why can't Pat Smith come back. It seems to me he has spent his time in Purgatory.

There is a reason he is in purgatory. Have those issues gotten better? If we brought him back and he screwed up again OSU would look pretty awful.

Mark Cody Daniel Cormier Steve Mocco Gwiz Jake Rosholt there are many viable options available but it has to be someone who John feels fits into his plan and is willing to come in and help as an assistant coach to gain valuable experience. Would love to see Mark Perry back in Stillwater!

How big is our non-amateur wrestling club? How well funded is it?

It seems like similar programs at other major powers are attracting more top wrestlers post graduation as members and coaches and they have the ability to pay them more.

I think that is hurting us. It seems we used to have more top level wrestlers in and around the program competing for our club program.

I'm not sure who is in the Cowboy RTC other than Dieringer, but you are right about the importance.

The super elite recruits have international goals. They want to train with the best in the USA - and the world. The RTCs for PSU and tOSU are an enormous recruiting consideration.

How big is our non-amateur wrestling club? How well funded is it?

It seems like similar programs at other major powers are attracting more top wrestlers post graduation as members and coaches and they have the ability to pay them more.

I think that is hurting us. It seems we used to have more top level wrestlers in and around the program competing for our club program.
Cayle Byers is still here. Tyler Caldwell is in the room. Others come in and out, and Chris Perry is there as a volunteer coach.

Mark Cody Daniel Cormier Steve Mocco Gwiz Jake Rosholt there are many viable options available but it has to be someone who John feels fits into his plan and is willing to come in and help as an assistant coach to gain valuable experience. Would love to see Mark Perry back in Stillwater!
If you even consider Cody then you might as well consider Lightner.... looks like he will be available very soon.... just call it a hunch! Not discrediting Lightner in any way.... it just seems to make sense from a standpoint of building a new regime.

Cayle Byers is still here. Tyler Caldwell is in the room. Others come in and out, and Chris Perry is there as a volunteer coach.

Which is good but pales in comparison to the rooms of some of our competition.

Which is good but pales in comparison to the rooms of some of our competition.
And I agree with that, but the cupboard isn't completely bare.

IMO we need to get someone like Pendleton back, or even bring in an "outsider" to work with the 197-285 guys. Just don't know who, or how they would fit into the staff.

And I agree with that, but the cupboard isn't completely bare.

IMO we need to get someone like Pendleton back, or even bring in an "outsider" to work with the 197-285 guys. Just don't know who, or how they would fit into the staff.

An upper weight coach with a name and someone who relates to HS aged kids would be very helpful.

Jake Rosholt isn't interested in coaching I've asked him a few times about it and he has two young kids and fire safety business he is busy with these days

Mark was a very good upper weight coach when he was here before he left. My question is what does Michael Lightner have to do with anything discussed in this thread? The last thing we need is an OU influence in the room so that makes no sense to me.

If you even consider Cody then you might as well consider Lightner.... looks like he will be available very soon.... just call it a hunch! Not discrediting Lightner in any way.... it just seems to make sense from a standpoint of building a new regime.

Gfeller told me last week that he was going to wrestle in the dapper dan in place of gomez but for some reason he didn't wrestle and they picked litteral instead. I know that Gfellar is wrestling in the dream team classic sometime in April. He does lessons with my son and is looking the biggest I have ever seen him, so im curious on what weight he is wrestling in that. Also I was wondering if anyone knew if Fix was wrestling in that Dream Team classic as well?

Looks like Gfeller will be wrestling Nolan Baker @138 (with some weight allowance likely). I don't believe Baker is ranked. No Fix - he's probably focusing on freestyle season.

Looks like Gfeller will be wrestling Nolan Baker @138 (with some weight allowance likely). I don't believe Baker is ranked. No Fix - he's probably focusing on freestyle season.

Baker is ranked 10 by win magazine. I think he's a really good greco guy. Me and my son will be watching for sure!

Reactions: Wrassler17
Gfellar look great when he started to open up. That kid was on a 108 match win streak they said on the track live stream. Good showing from kaden! Also dom demas OU commit wrestled good. I only could catch their 2 matches though any word on the other bouts?

Gfellar look great when he started to open up. That kid was on a 108 match win streak they said on the track live stream. Good showing from kaden! Also dom demas OU commit wrestled good. I only could catch their 2 matches though any word on the other bouts?

I was glad to see Gfellar open up later in the match. He seems to wrestle a little tight in these all star exhibitions (Flo's WNO, Iowa's NOC), but he's very tough when he wrestles aggressively.

Others I thought looked good - Demas (will be a fun one in college), Jason Renteria majoring Brian Courtney and Jacob Warner teching Andrew Davison.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT