ADVERTISEMENT

Assistant Coaches

He would be a perfect hire. Heard he was a phenomenal coach and was extremely knowledgeable. Plus, fans would appreciate a familiar face, from the Smith tree, but you would get a coach with varied experience with a huge repertoire of knowledge
Doesn't seem like a DT guy. He had a chance to go to Illinois, wouldn't consider it at the time.

Reactions: vhsalum
Different "they's" involved here. It seems like there would be an announcement; again, we'll see & hopefully so.
In a sense, yes. I’d expect OSU Athletics to all be the same in the announcements like this even if it is from different parts of the athletic department.

Each Coach and Program is different & I'd continue to expect this one to operate in a very different fashion to what we've seen previously. Will potentially seem highly calculating at first.

I don’t know this; the hypothesis of waiting until the other guys land in spots seems to have some merit.

What’s Caldwell’s strength as a coach? He’s been well regarded for a long time, just curious about specifics. TBH I’m curious about the new coaches and the previous ones too, what their strengths were/are and how they complement(ed) each other as a staff. “Great in the room” is just pretty vague lol

Reactions: tom_v31
What’s Caldwell’s strength as a coach? He’s been well regarded for a long time, just curious about specifics. TBH I’m curious about the new coaches and the previous ones too, what their strengths were/are and how they complement(ed) each other as a staff. “Great in the room” is just pretty vague lol
Nunchuck Skills
Bow Hunting Skills
Computer Hacking Skills

Napoleon Dynamite Drawing GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment
Nunchuck Skills
Bow Hunting Skills
Computer Hacking Skills
Yeah,but can they beat a liger

• Haha
Reactions: dr. tdog and JAY45
Recruiting was at an all time low under Coach Smith. OSU only had a few Blue Chippers on the Roster (Fix & Gfeller). John named Tyler as Recruiting Coordinator and the change was instantaneous. They’ve had highly ranked classes every year under him.

What consistently comes up when people talk about him is his organizational & administrative skills in addition to his people skills.

Last edited:
Recruiting was at an all time low under Coach Smith. OSU only had a few Blue Chippers on the Roster (Fix & Gfeller). John named Tyler as Recruiting Coordinator and the change was instantaneous. They’ve had highly ranked classes every year under him.

What consistently comes up when people talk about him is his organizational & administrative skills in addition to his people skills.
It was instantaneous

This is a great one to listen to, or go back and listen to again; especially if you are struggling with Gilman being at OSU. It’s cool to hear him talk about his relationship with DT and others…keep in mind, this is 4 years ago. This is a guy you want on your side…

This is a great one to listen to, or go back and listen to again; especially if you are struggling with Gilman being at OSU. It’s cool to hear him talk about his relationship with DT and others…keep in mind, this is 4 years ago. This is a guy you want on your side…

if you are struggling with gilman in stillwater
you have a blind spot

if you are struggling with gilman in stillwater
you have a blind spot
for real. Gilman has been confidently repping the USA on the international stage for several years now. Yeah he mouthed off a few times when he was younger but we don’t swear off our wrestlers when they do the same thing. We’re lucky to have a guy of his caliber!

Does anyone know where the RTC currently sits with coaches? Is anyone still there outside of Caldwell. Just curious with u20 and u23 coming up.

The website added the new guys and still has Zo, Guerrero, GWH, and Derek Fix listed so assume they’re still there for now?

Anyone that actually follows wrestling (this board) isn’t worried about TG. The casual fan that shows up for the Iowa and OU duals (which is totally fine) may be, but they’ll figure it out.
I don't know about that? I talk to a very small portion of casual fans and they are fine. The rest of my groups are either ex-Wrestlers or Wrestling fanatics.

There was a pretty good job done by somebody getting that Flo interview out early and often. He talked very respectful of John Smith and didn't disparage OSU at all.

I don't know about that? I talk to a very small portion of casual fans and they are fine. The rest of my groups are either ex-Wrestlers or Wrestling fanatics.

There was a pretty good job done by somebody getting that Flo interview out early and often. He talked very respectful of John Smith and didn't disparage OSU at all.
Ya I haven’t talked to anyone truly upset about him anymore. That’s why I said “may be” and clearly I think the answer is we are all good haha

I voiced my initial thoughts on Gilman after the hire. It had nothing to do with his talent, accolades or coaching ability. I was still in the shock/disbelief phase with the DT hire and all the other coaching changes. I truly believed Coleman was going to be the guy and was just hoping he could add a big assistant hire.

As I have previously mentioned, I am extremely happy about the DT hire and the changes that are being made which was a long time coming. But, I was also comfortable after so many years with the loyalty of the OSU coaching tree and the family atmosphere the program had created from the inside that when a Iowa guy who was disliked by many OSU fans came on as a coach it was a hard pill to swallow. I’m now excited to see what he can do with these guys and hold no grudge. Keeping Caldwell was a great move as he will provide some continuity with the older guys and a bridge from the old to the new.

I voiced my initial thoughts on Gilman after the hire. It had nothing to do with his talent, accolades or coaching ability. I was still in the shock/disbelief phase with the DT hire and all the other coaching changes. I truly believed Coleman was going to be the guy and was just hoping he could add a big assistant hire.

As I have previously mentioned, I am extremely happy about the DT hire and the changes that are being made which was a long time coming. But, I was also comfortable after so many years with the loyalty of the OSU coaching tree and the family atmosphere the program had created from the inside that when a Iowa guy who was disliked by many OSU fans came on as a coach it was a hard pill to swallow. I’m now excited to see what he can do with these guys and hold no grudge. Keeping Caldwell was a great move as he will provide some continuity with the older guys and a bridge from the old to the new.
For sure. Change is already hard, especially if we’re pretty happy with what we have and like the direction it is moving. Adding a former “enemy” to the change can come across as adding salt to a wound. Stages of change. What helped for me was a couple of articles I read about after he left the Hawkeyes, he explained how he was starting to see wrestling differently and how he was becoming more open minded.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT