ADVERTISEMENT

Assistant Coaches

Would like to separate this out as it’s the next step.

I’m sure we’ve all heard the same names by now including Kennedy, Gilman, Perry OR Caldwell, Dake, Snyder, Fix.

Excited for the continued improvement in the RTC as it’s vital to attracting the top guys.
I believe Fix is staying and that’s it out of those names.

The answer to the other names? I want them all!

I think it depends on what the budget is.. While I appreciate everyone on last years staff has done up to this point, I think theres going to be a big turnover.. As much as it sucks for the outgoing staff, I think the best move is for everyone to try to negogiate a way to stick around for at least the next season. Were I them, even Coleman, I would sell it as working to make the transition as seemlessly as possible while the transition is happening. This would give them the opportunity to get a look behind the curtain and see exactly how Penn State does things and take that with them when they go to their next program.. There is alot we dont know and that makes it difficult to form a picture..

I think it depends on what the budget is.. While I appreciate everyone on last years staff has done up to this point, I think theres going to be a big turnover.. As much as it sucks for the outgoing staff, I think the best move is for everyone to try to negogiate a way to stick around for at least the next season. Were I them, even Coleman, I would sell it as working to make the transition as seemlessly as possible while the transition is happening. This would give them the opportunity to get a look behind the curtain and see exactly how Penn State does things and take that with them when they go to their next program.. There is alot we dont know and that makes it difficult to form a picture..
It’s not up to the coaching staff if they stay. It’s DT’s choice. Was part of his deal. He gets the staff he wants.

If Daton is going to stay and coach I hope he can get a little more vocal and extroverted. "Lead by example" doesn't work as well when your job is to wrangle 50+ people. If he's not coaching but training at the RTC/CWC that's a different story.
He'll be expected to do both I would imagine. Part of his RTC training responsibilities is likely to be "soft coaching" guys on the team. DT knows this routine well.

I would imagine that David Taylor will make some changes we do not like. Overall I think we had a great hire, but it is tough to see Coleman cast aside.
You're going to see DT clean up A LOT. Despite what blair loves to say - the culture is bad bad.

There are certainly better kids in the program now. But there are some true scumbags, hangers-on and just bad people that are on the dang payroll there. So definitely expect to see some guys on the roster leave because they can't handle the changes in the standard.

There is a level of discipline that will be brought in that will be a change from what some are used to,

Not being close to the program, this is a surprise to me.

JS doesn’t strike you as someone who is lax on discipline, and anyone who follows wrestling at all knows that discipline is critical to success.

Was JS reaching an age that relating to the kids was tougher? I’m not sure I understand what could have changed versus back in the 90’s

JS doesn’t strike you as someone who is lax on discipline, and anyone who follows wrestling at all knows that discipline is critical to success.

Was JS reaching an age that relating to the kids was tougher? I’m not sure I understand what could have changed versus back in the 90’s
LOL. Then you don't know the program that well.

John was very much a Laissez-faire coach. Did you show up to practice? Then you were fine.

There is a level of discipline that will be brought in that will be a change from what some are used to,
#lifeinpieces preach GIF by CBS

What are some of your thoughts on potential landing spots for these assistants? Caldwell specifically. I know he was one that flipped a couple of top recruits a year or two ago.

LOL. Then you don't know the program that well.

John was very much a Laissez-faire coach. Did you show up to practice? Then you were fine.

Well, I did start by saying ‘not being close to the program’

Was he always that way? I’m frankly almost shocked that he won nattys with that approach if he’s been that way from the beginning

Reactions: bwel9339
You're going to see DT clean up A LOT. Despite what blair loves to say - the culture is bad bad.

There are certainly better kids in the program now. But there are some true scumbags, hangers-on and just bad people that are on the dang payroll there. So definitely expect to see some guys on the roster leave because they can't handle the changes in the standard.
You learned this language at the Iowa board didn't you. Okies are too polite to insult people in triplicate like that! :)

• Haha
Reactions: vhsalum

Everything folks were saying about AJ and finally what we saw it had to be bad. That kid should never have been allowed in Stillwater.

I can't speak to how rampant it was, but regarding one of the individuals who was just recently brought back in to the fold. I couldn't (and wouldn't) have brought him in to my club room, due to him being on the safe-sport list, and if you look at that same individual's OSCN record, it paints a pretty bleak picture as to what was either considered acceptable or how little effort was spent checking folks out.
Are you talking about Someone that was on the coaching staff?

Reactions: okcpokefan12
Of course, it is no surprise that DT has not contacted me to be on staff. I guess he is a bit intimidated, since he has never scored a single point on me. He probably did not want me showing him up in front of the team. It makes sense. The kids have to believe in him and his approach if they are going to buy in.

Strongly Disagree….. the changes that were made this year were positive and the boys responded and stepped up and you could see if in their performance. Yeah there might be 1 or 2 guys that probably need to figure out if they truly want to wrestle at this level and do what’s needed to be successful but to say they are scumbags is out of line IMO.

Strongly Disagree….. the changes that were made this year were positive and the boys responded and stepped up and you could see if in their performance. Yeah there might be 1 or 2 guys that probably need to figure out if they truly want to wrestle at this level and do what’s needed to be successful but to say they are scumbags is out of line IMO.
It's not out of line. There are scumbags in the program. Not necessarily athletes that are scumbags, i was kind of lumping in a bunch of people.

But yes. Last year was better.

But DT's standard is a LOT higher than even last year's expectations.

It's not out of line. There are scumbags in the program. Not necessarily athletes that are scumbags, i was kind of lumping in a bunch of people.

But yes. Last year was better.

But DT's standard is a LOT higher than even last year's expectations.
I can think of a few that have made some bad decisions etc but a bunch of scumbags in the program is a big statement to make. IMO one that either doesn’t need to be said or have something to back this up rather than generalizing a lump of people.

I can think of a few that have made some bad decisions etc but a bunch of scumbags in the program is a big statement to make. IMO one that either doesn’t need to be said or have something to back this up rather than generalizing a lump of people.
My full quote:

"But there are some true scumbags, hangers-on and just bad people that are on the dang payroll there."

I didn't say the athletes are scumbags and I didn't say there a bunch of scumbags. I lumped in a BUNCH of people who could be categorized as one, 2 or 3 of the words I used.

And it definitely does need to be said. As proud of a program as OkSt is, and as amazing a man as I think John is - he let a lot of people around, that shouldn't have. And DT won't allow.

Last edited:
My full quote:

"But there are some true scumbags, hangers-on and just bad people that are on the dang payroll there."

I didn't the athletes are scumbags and I didn't say there a bunch of scumbags. I lumped in a BUNCH of people who could be categorized as one, 2 or 3 of the words I used.

And it definitely does need to be said. As proud of a program as OkSt is, and as amazing a man as I think John is - he let a lot of people around, that shouldn't have. And DT won't allow.
Thank goodness you're here to let DT know what's up! The real MVP

John has always been that way. It's very much an old school approach of "I don't care what you are doing as long as you do the thing I brought you here to do you do." I've got buddies that were his neighbors when he was in school, the fact he was as good as he was is truly impressive. He was very driven and self disciplined to always get the work done but once it was done he was gonna have fun. Not a thing wrong with that but he's kind of a unicorn in that regard, we weren't recruiting a ton of unicorns.

Excited for the future.

John has always been that way. It's very much an old school approach of "I don't care what you are doing as long as you do the thing I brought you here to do you do." I've got buddies that were his neighbors when he was in school, the fact he was as good as he was is truly impressive. He was very driven and self disciplined to always get the work done but once it was done he was gonna have fun. Not a thing wrong with that but he's kind of a unicorn in that regard, we weren't recruiting a ton of unicorns.

Excited for the future.
It’s a joke, but some say Pat won his 4 titles with a BAC of .09.

Reactions: Inky29
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT